New to Australia & Sanctuary Lakes

kev and iza

Hi,

Well after a considerably amount of should we! Or should we not’s!

We, (wife &3 young kids 6,3 & 2 year olds) have moved from Dubai (UK originally) to Melbourneand landed in Sanctuary lakes, Point Cook (for the time being)

As I am writingthis we are having a nice bit of thunder and lightning which is different, notseen rain and weather changes for so long...not sure how long I will still be thinkingthe same though ;0)

Trying to getused to the area, and the Australian way of things, oldest has started schoolvery close by which is handy and house (rental) is very nice, however will benicer when we actually receive our 40ft container with our furniture and all...it’sa bit a like camping indoors at the moment blow up beds and bare minimumcooking utensils ;0)

Firstimpressions of Melbourne were “oh my god, what have we done, everything is soold” and “we have taken as step back in time!” however I guess this comes from livingin Dubai were everything is so new and over the top.

Now we havebeen here for 2 weeks we are settling down a little more, trying to find somesort of routine.

Sanctuary lakedoesn’t seem to have anything for the kids though which is disappointing, noplay parks- bike tracks which will be handy if and when our container arrives!

We really needhelp with finding things for our 3 year old boy and 2 year old girl to do throughoutthe day, there must be clubs or mothers and toddlers groups? Any info or help onthat front much appreciated

Anyways, ifthere people in the area willing to get together, my wife (polish) and I (Scottish)are looking to meet new people for both us and the kids, please get in touch.

cheers

Welcome to Melbourne. If you check the local council site it will have a lot of information about what groups are around for you. Also join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this forum. Most of the people are already here and will be able to help you. There are a lot of Brits over in the west these days and they have meet ups all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Sanctuary Lakes is bizzare. It's a great place for looking at mansions and it looks very nice to live but yes there is a complete lack of anything to do within the entire estate.

Good news is there is plenty to do outside of sanctuary lakes. Hoppers crossing is about 5-10 minutes from you and has a indoor play centre for your kids.

Being that it is summer, heading outdoors is probably the thing to do. I tend to head towards the beach, either Altona Beach or Werribee South. Both have parks near the beach and Altona has rock pools for kids to search around in. There are heaps of parks in the main part of Point Cook (Innisfail, Featherbrook etc).

In terms of malls, don't even bother with Werribee, especially at the moment as it's expanding. Take a 20 drive to really the only decent mall in the west which is Highpoint in Maribyrnong. It's very nice, it used to be a bit dodgy but trust me I go there a lot and it's fine.

Another bonus for us in the west is proximity to the city. On a sunny day Docklands (about 20-25 minutes) is very good for kids, it has a play centre (Money Mania) an all year round fun park (pretty average but kids will like it) and arcade game place. Docklands is horrible when it's cold though, stick to the warmer days.

In terms of bike paths, there is a pretty dodgy bike path (road share) right there on Point cook road which leads down towards the coastal areas, I don't recommend it as drivers around here can be impatient but it is there.

A few more good points on the west. Geelong is great for a day visit (40 mins), Torquay is great in summer (55 mins) and Lorne (1.2 hours) is brilliant but be aware on really hot weekends there will be traffic jams getting there.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived