Cairns or Northern Beaches?

Lucharmily

We're planning a trip to Cairns with our 3 young children and just wondering on the best place to stay. Cairns because it's central or Northern Beaches as more relaxing? Don't want to go as far as Port Douglas, the children all get car sick and remember the windy captain cook highway up there!

Stayed at Palm Cove years ago and was very nice but don't know how developed it is now?

Guess we'd need to hire a car if we do stay by the beach as still want to do some trips out of Cairns.

Any thoughts very gratefully received!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

To be honest as Cairns is so spread out I think you will need a car where ever you stay.There are a lot of sights to see and a car would be invaluable particularly with young children. As to where to stay I don't think it will make that much difference as you will probably want to explore whether it be the city, beaches, tablelands, scenic attractions etc. We have found parking generally not a problem at all. Guess it's all down to personal preference and the beaches are certainly great to wander to with the kids.

Ann

Guest The Pom Queen

Palm Cove is still the same. When are you coming as remember our stinger season starts next month so the nets will be out. How long are you here for, could you split your trip to stay on one of the beaches and Cairns?

You could look at the caravan park at Ellis Beach it is right on the beach and they have cabins. I don't find there is a lot to do at the beaches apart from the beach. I do like the esplanade as you have the lagoon, night markets and plenty of cafe/bars. Before you book maybe ask us and we can tell you whether it's a nice place.

Archived