How to attract an employer.

Star447

Hello,

My family and I have made the decision to move to Australia and am currently awaiting the return of my skills assessment from engineers Australia. I have applied and expressed interest in a number of jobs but don't seem to be making much progress, am I wasting my time and should I wait until I have my visa in my hand before applying for employment?

I appreciate that our journey to Australia is very much in its infancy and I'm sure my upcoming visa application will be quite a long and drawn out affair but any advice will be very much appreciated.

cheers,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to PIO.. I think it really depends on your skills set and occupation, I would say. If it's a sought after occupation you may get some feedback and interest. I spent around 6 months looking to get 457 sponsorship last year, and didn't even get a response. I still had nothing while our 189 visa was pending, nothing after we had our visas, now with just about 5 weeks to go before we arrive, I am starting to get a glimmer of interest.. The problem for me is the licenses I need are only available in the individual states, so employers aren't really interested until you have them, and your feet are on the ground.. You may find it's the same for your occupation..

Don't lose hope if you don't get much response, is my advice. Keep looking on Seek.com.au indeed.com.au and other Australian job websites etc. You'll probably get a feel for where the jobs are, how many are advertised and what the wages are for your profession after a while.. I would get your skills assessed and apply for a 189 permanent skilled migration visa, if you're eligible, as that way you can move around the country and work in any profession that suits and not worry about your sponsorship falling through etc, and it's permanent..

There are plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people on this site to give advice when you need it.. Also, some good threads with experiences of the application processes in front of you..

Best of luck with your plans.. :chatterbox:

PS, If you're going to use a migration agent, make sure they are MARA registered. There are some on this forum who give great advice, but you can also find them through the Australian Immigration website.. :wink:

Archived