Complicated potential emigration scenario

NickyP

Hi all,

First let me apologise for long winded post, I'll try to keep it short and sweet but detailed. If that makes sense.

Ok, here we go.

I'm 40, British and living in UK with my young family (fiance 34/son 10) My father is an Australian citizen, no longer residing in Oz to my knowledge, have no contact nor do I wish to.

My mother lives in UK as does my brother.

I have 45 half brothers and sisters who reside in Perth and Melbourne, the majority are in their 20's. I've met them once since we got in touch in 2008. They were unaware they had older brothers in UK. Hence feelings towards our father.

Ok, so educational wise I hold an NVQ3 in health and social care, NVQ2 in Team management and NVQ2 in Stores & warehouse management and various smaller courses completed.

So, is their scope within the range of Visas to be potentially accepted with regards to emigration for myself and my young family?

I'm guessing the Health and social sector wouldn't be classed as essential skilled. But with all the above factors taken into account, surely there must be some way to 'tailor' a visa so that our family could be reunited first and foremost??

I thank you for reading and your time.

Nick

I would think you qualify to be an Australian citizen by descent but whether this could be done without any contact with your father I don't know.

As a citizen your fiance could then apply for a partner visa.

I would run your circumstances by a migration agent to see what would be required.

Ni Nick,

What do you do as a living (workwise), only asking because is the occupation on the SOL list? if so then you will have to consider your work experience, IELTS results, qualifications...when checking how many points you have with 60 being the minimum. As you have family in Australia already (including half brothers/sisters) they may be able to sponsor you as long as you can provide sufficient documents to prove this (5 additional points) keeping in mind that this can be a very long process.

Hope this helps

Thanks for both of your replies.

Citizen by descent is interesting and never really crossed my mind exactly for the reason you pointed out. So coukd be difficult. I will speak to an agent.

I currently work as a live in carer, week on, week off,......I shouldn't imagine the IELTS would present a problem. I'll look into the sponsorship route but as you say, most likely extremely long winded.

I'll have a look at the SOL and see what I can find.

Thanks again :-)

Thanks for both of your replies.

Citizen by descent is interesting and never really crossed my mind exactly for the reason you pointed out. So coukd be difficult. I will speak to an agent.

I currently work as a live in carer, week on, week off,......I shouldn't imagine the IELTS would present a problem. I'll look into the sponsorship route but as you say, most likely extremely long winded.

I'll have a look at the SOL and see what I can find.

Thanks again :-)

I think it is unlikely you would be able to get an independent skilled migration visa as a carer, and with or without the additional 5 points for sponsorship it takes a while.

I would really exhaust the citizenship by descent option first as I think that will be by far the easiest option (family relationships aside)

Was your dad born in Australia? If so, it may be all you need is a copy of his birth certificate (which you should be able to get without having contact with him)

Have a look at the information here:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/files/pid_docs/descent_checklist/

No not born Australia. Think he was there from about 1993. I suppose if I was hell bent on following that route I'd have to try contacting him. Just the hassle it'd cause. We shall see.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks ;-)

Hmm, then if he wasn't a citizen at the time of your birth I don't think this option is open.

If you were a dependent when he became a citizen then you could have been included on his application but if that didn't happen then I have no idea if you can apply retrospectively.

Definitely one for a migration agent I'd say.

I don't think there is anything on the CSOL that fits your current occupation and even if there was you would then need a state that was sponsoring that occupation to gain a PR visa. If you do fit an occupation on the list then you may be able to get a temporary work visa (457) for up to 4 years but that isn't all that recommended for a family as your visa is tied to the job - it works for some people though and can lead to an employer nominated permanent visa but there are some sad, sad stories where it has all gone horribly wrong for people.

Anyway you know your role better than anyone so scrutinise the CSOL for anything where you could prove the skills and experience.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx

Archived