where to start?

paulyb42

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this, my partner and I, along with our kids wish to move to Australia but haven't a clue where to start. I'm a band 5 nurse, qualified in January 2014. I've heard about agencies that sort visas out, what is the best course of action please? Any advice would be gratefully welcomed

Paul.

The best course of action is to see if you qualify for a Skilled Independent visa. You can get initial information from the DIBP website http://www.immi.gov.au/Pages/Welcome.aspx

If by agencies you mean nursing agencies then I would personally steer clear - you would be getting a temporary visa which has quite a level of risk attached if you are moving with a partner and kids.

If sponsorship is your only option then direct sponsorship by a hospital is probably a safer option - we looked at an agency that had a labour agreement in place and on pushing them they admitted that if we weren't working they could send us to any state they had work or end the sponsorship if we refused to move.

If you mean migration agents then there are quite a few that post on here - Go Matilda seem one of the most recommended but as long as you go with on which is MARA registered you should be okay. They will advise you on the visa's you are eligible for and do the application for you, for a fee of course :)

Hi all,

I'm new to all of this, my partner and I, along with our kids wish to move to Australia but haven't a clue where to start. I'm a band 5 nurse, qualified in January 2014. I've heard about agencies that sort visas out, what is the best course of action please? Any advice would be gratefully welcomed

Paul.

If the rule is still in place then you will have to wait 5 years from gaining qualification. They like you to have the work place experience.

I am a newly qualified nurse and will be starting the process. Check out the nursing threads and spend some time reading through the requirements. Plenty of the more recent posts explain the process to you. PM me if you need anything clarifying. I am hoping to be there in Sept 15 on a permanent visa with 3 children and wont be using any nursing agencies. The more research you do, the more it makes sense!

I haven't moved, I am hoping to be there in Sept 2015 :-)

I am sitting IELTS on the 20th September and will be applying for AHPRA (Like NMC) towards the end of this year.

ANMAC application will go in 3 months from the day I start work, when I have a 3 month reference from my employer. I start my job on the 15th of Sept and don't like the chances of getting my reference back before XMAS, so I think it will be early January realistically before I can send off my ANMAC application. ANMAC should take 16 weeks. Then its the Visa application. I am hoping to time everything so it completes in June/July/August time!

Look into the price of renting/buying property and typical salaries for your career. Using this as a guide workout what percentage of your income will go on rent/mortgage and compare that to what you spend in the UK. Whilst Australia is cheap for some things, the price of living is going up and if you want to live in Sydney or Melbourne (and even Perth) don't be surprised to find its as expensive as London.

I am hoping with shift allowances my salary as a fairly newly qualified will be $60,000 (anything extra will be a bonus) but QLD pay rates appear to be higher than some other states Iv looked at. We have decided that initially we will rent for $400-$450 a month with the intention to buy a property for $450k which would be around $2200 a month with a deposit. As the main income initially when we are renting we believe in QLD in an outer suburb away from the CBD and beaches this is affordable on a nurses wage, albeit a fairly modest lifestyle. When my husband secures work we will look at buying and will then have excess money that will allow us to eat out, have day trips, holidays perhaps and save. I could be completely wrong but I have stalked this forum almost daily for 6 years and this is what I believe will be achievable. When I make a plan, I like every single piece of the jigsaw to be researched over and above what must be classed as normal!

I am hoping with shift allowances my salary as a fairly newly qualified will be $60,000 (anything extra will be a bonus) but QLD pay rates appear to be higher than some other states Iv looked at. We have decided that initially we will rent for $400-$450 a month with the intention to buy a property for $450k which would be around $2200 a month with a deposit. As the main income initially when we are renting we believe in QLD in an outer suburb away from the CBD and beaches this is affordable on a nurses wage, albeit a fairly modest lifestyle. When my husband secures work we will look at buying and will then have excess money that will allow us to eat out, have day trips, holidays perhaps and save. I could be completely wrong but I have stalked this forum almost daily for 6 years and this is what I believe will be achievable. When I make a plan, I like every single piece of the jigsaw to be researched over and above what must be classed as normal!

The one piece of the jigsaw that might not fit in your plan is how much you need to spend on a property - we did all the research we could but looking at areas and properties on-line and what they actually turn out to be like are quite different - we planned on buying a property for $500k and ended up spending $620k. We went on a two week reccie and viewed houses but sometime you see what you want to see, my future employer even arranged for me to meet a recent migrant and I confidently told her we'd have no problem finding somewhere and weren't afraid of renovation etc....she told me we'd need to spend nearer $650k and she wasn't far off :)

I don't know QLD at all and no idea if that is realistic or not and it depends on how much you are prepared to 'give' I wasn't prepared to spend more than an hour commuting door-to-door and worked in the CBD and by the time we were buying my son was settled in school so it constrained our choices. For all our research it was the one thing we got wrong!

I see where you are coming from and this is often the case, we do not know what will happen when we get there. For us, the bonus is that we have been renting in a cheap, small rental property in the UK whist we save for Australia. If I remember rightly Rainicorn, you lived in Perth? We liked the look of Perth but we discounted it as we knew our budget would need to be approx. £100k more. We are looking at Townsville and the back of the Gold Coast and I think property prices are still very reasonable in this area as it stands. We have spoken to Andrew (Vista) who has discussed mortgage options and we know we have a lot more flexibility on price and could go far higher if needed, but after years of being skint (being a student and saving for Australia) we just want something for now we can call our own. If it isn't our dream house or location in the future we plan to rent it out and move on. My job doesn't require me to be near the CBD luckily so I suppose that helps!

I see where you are coming from and this is often the case, we do not know what will happen when we get there. For us, the bonus is that we have been renting in a cheap, small rental property in the UK whist we save for Australia. If I remember rightly Rainicorn, you lived in Perth? We liked the look of Perth but we discounted it as we knew our budget would need to be approx. £100k more. We are looking at Townsville and the back of the Gold Coast and I think property prices are still very reasonable in this area as it stands. We have spoken to Andrew (Vista) who has discussed mortgage options and we know we have a lot more flexibility on price and could go far higher if needed, but after years of being skint (being a student and saving for Australia) we just want something for now we can call our own. If it isn't our dream house or location in the future we plan to rent it out and move on. My job doesn't require me to be near the CBD luckily so I suppose that helps!

We were in Perth and I think you're right Townsville would certainly be cheaper and as a smaller place nowhere is going to be as far (Perth metropolitan area is almost 100km end to end now, the urban sprawl challenges LA!).

For us we were wanting a 'forever' home as we wanted our son to have stability after living in rentals - best made plans huh?!

I hope you don't think I was being negative or critical - having been through the process I just try to make sure people have realistic expectations - it's far less likely to work out for them like it did for us that way.

No not at all, Iv learnt a lot in the past from making plans and realising things don't always go the way you plan! I just returned from a cheap holiday camping to Lake Garda. We thought £300 spends would be enough as we would eat in and just enjoy the free activities and the sunshine. Well another £500 on top of that later, I have certainly realised plans don't always materialise!

No not at all, Iv learnt a lot in the past from making plans and realising things don't always go the way you plan! I just returned from a cheap holiday camping to Lake Garda. We thought £300 spends would be enough as we would eat in and just enjoy the free activities and the sunshine. Well another £500 on top of that later, I have certainly realised plans don't always materialise!

Completely off topic but so proud of myself - we had a £3600 budget for our holiday - sounds a lot but we were away over 3 weeks, some hotels had to be paid for on arrival so it worked out about £100 a day for the three of us for all food and entertainment so not THAT extravagant and I've just balanced the books, checked the credit card bills etc. and we spent a grand total of £3681....and we got £150 credited back to our card for a cancelled activity that we had pre-booked so we actually were under-budget :)

This was our first European holiday after returning to the UK so a lot to catch up on and it was our Silver Wedding so we did push the boat out a bit :)

Archived