Is it REALLY worth taking your car....Ask the question here for another opinion

Savitar

Ok, How about this one. I'm pretty sure you will look at the age and think What!!!!????

Picasso LX 2 litre Diesel with aircon 2001 65k miles - I would only take it to run it until it eventually dies.

It is sooo reliable, never failed an mot. My father-in-law has one and it is on 130k miles (same age) and still going strong, so Im thinking I would have alot more years left in it yet (although Im aware it is worth bugger all!)

What do you think? Thanks

Guest northernlove

Car Make : uk mitsubishi colt mirage with mirage zr cyborg Japanese import spec (imported engine suspension and some other bits)

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : 1.6 mivec manual

Car Year :02

Car mileage : 90000

Special options :

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)? love the car would be extremely rare over here but from what I've seen I can still get parts I have no idea on the costs but I need a car so if its cost me the same as buying a car here which I will like as much then its worth it to me

When are you planning on sending it? march

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? until it breaks

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? I'm already in australia

Ok, How about this one. I'm pretty sure you will look at the age and think What!!!!????

Picasso LX 2 litre Diesel with aircon 2001 65k miles - I would only take it to run it until it eventually dies.

It is sooo reliable, never failed an mot. My father-in-law has one and it is on 130k miles (same age) and still going strong, so Im thinking I would have alot more years left in it yet (although Im aware it is worth bugger all!)

What do you think? Thanks

Adele, your car was not imported to Australia and when Citroens have been imported they haven't had a big following so you would probably find it hard to get some parts for your Picasso, think of things like a windscreen that if it is not in really good condition will prevent you from getting our equivalent to its MOT. Also think that what it costs you to ship it, you could put into an Australian delivered small people mover or SUV that will be more saleable if you need to sell it.

I know the Picassos are quite good in the UK but you might find that insurance costs for a car not imported to Australia and parts and servicing just might not be worth it.

Adele, your car was not imported to Australia and when Citroens have been imported they haven't had a big following so you would probably find it hard to get some parts for your Picasso, think of things like a windscreen that if it is not in really good condition will prevent you from getting our equivalent to its MOT. Also think that what it costs you to ship it, you could put into an Australian delivered small people mover or SUV that will be more saleable if you need to sell it.

I know the Picassos are quite good in the UK but you might find that insurance costs for a car not imported to Australia and parts and servicing just might not be worth it.

Oh damn!! Thanks for that arrowseng. It does make sense what you say. It will stay then x x

• 2 weeks later...
So in my view its a bad idea to ask a company that has an interest in making money out of shipping cars if its worth it to ship a car. Now having said that, I used Iron Lady and would HIGHLY recommend them if you are planning on shipping your car, first class service all the way.

What I believe is missing from their reviews are questions like :

- What is your motivation for sending the car?

- When are you planning on sending it?

- What is your relationship to the car (I.e. are you emotionally attached to it)

- How long will you keep the car when you get there?

- When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus?

- What is the car worth in the UK if you were to sell it at the point of sending Vs what the realistic value of selling it when it finally arrives in OZ?

I have no affliction to any shipping, transport, import, or car companies in any way but I am a bit of a car nut. I recently shipped TWO M3's from the UK to OZ, one was always to keep, the other was always to try to make a profit. I learned a LOT from the experience so happy to help out.

If you have any questions about if you can ship, what your visa requirements are, what type of shipping you should use etc please contact Iron Lady (or another company), they are experts in that field and will provide fantastic advice.

My advice will be if its WORTH it to ship. My advice is free, its my opinion (you may not agree but its another opinion to use) but its COMPLETELY unbiased, in terms of any financial gain on my behalf, so if you are interested in my opinion, fire away, please fill in the following :

Car Make : BMW

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : 125d 2 litre twin turbo auto

Car Year :Nov 2013

Car mileage : 6000 mile

Special options : M sport

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)?

When are you planning on sending it? March 2015

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? We normally keep cars about 5 years

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? Yes

I will then work out the price in the UK (my view) Vs the price in OZ when you would be looking to sell (best guess) to determine when its worth it.

Hi Savitar

I have been reading lots of comments and it seems to be hard to justify the cost and hassle.

I have no sentmental attachment but simply love driving this fantastic car. I have shown the car details in your text above.

I look forward to your good or bad news

Car Make : uk mitsubishi colt mirage with mirage zr cyborg Japanese import spec (imported engine suspension and some other bits)

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : 1.6 mivec manual

Car Year :02

Car mileage : 90000

Special options :

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)? love the car would be extremely rare over here but from what I've seen I can still get parts I have no idea on the costs but I need a car so if its cost me the same as buying a car here which I will like as much then its worth it to me

When are you planning on sending it? march

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? until it breaks

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? I'm already in australia

Without even doing the maths this is just not worth it financially. As a Japanese import to the UK, then imported to OZ it will cost you WAY more than its worth to get something similar in OZ. Now the here is could you get something similar in OZ? Well, from what I can tell...no...

You could look to get a cheap 02 here in OZ and import some parts yourself to upgrade also...

Now if you don't care about financially, then it could be worth it. If you are a "fan boy" (and I mean that nicely) of this car then it would be very unique and something to keep hold of. The key here though is that you are VERY unlikely to sell it for anything near what you want for it so if you assume you would get $1,000 max on sale / or you do hold out for ever with it then its not actually "that" expensive to ship over, say around $5,000 aussie all up...

What I am not sure about is if they would register it in OZ. You might want to hit up ironlady for advise there as that car technically never existed. I think it should be OK (as there are lots of 02 Mirages out there) but worth looking into...

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : 125d 2 litre twin turbo auto

Car Year :Nov 2013

Car mileage : 6000 mile

Special options : M sport

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)?

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? We normally keep cars about 5 years

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? Yes

I will then work out the price in the UK (my view) Vs the price in OZ when you would be looking to sell (best guess) to determine when its worth it.

Hi Savitar

I have been reading lots of comments and it seems to be hard to justify the cost and hassle.

I have no sentmental attachment but simply love driving this fantastic car. I have shown the car details in your text above.

I look forward to your good or bad news

This is a bit of a struggle to quote. There is only one for sale in the UK at the moment and that is around 25K. THere is a 120D Msport for 22K so lets assume that is around the price you are looking at.

Including shipping this car will owe you around $50K aussie (I.e. you could have sold it for $40K and with the $10K import charges you would have $50K to play with). Now the only thing similar in OZ is a 118D 2014 which can be had for $40K Aussie.

http://www.carsales.com.au/nearnew/details/BMW-118d-2013/AGC-AD-15961043/?Cr=2&sdmvc=1

This is a 118D Msport for $44K with warranty and servicing included. When you take into account no warranty for the imported car, on resale you will get at least 20% less than aussie delivered cars and far more hastle selling it, I just can't see the value in bringing it along.

Now if the power different for the 118D Vs 125D is something you really want then sure, it might be something you do. But given the hassle and large cost issues I would just sell yours in the UK and buy something similar in OZ....Life will be far simpler and financially better for you... :)

Thanks Savitar, I agree with you. Even if you consider the 125d sits a little above the 125i, all the work to import and the increased costs of insurance and effort to eventually sell etc., would result in an "I shouldn't have done it" moment.

the car is up for sale as of now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Savitar,

Thanks for your earlier reply on the other thread.

I've tried to answer your questions as best I can.

Car Make : Porsche

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) :911E 5 spd manual

Car Year : 1970

Car mileage : unknown but 41300 ......... showing on odometer. Not accurate.

Special options : ex-race car. Half cage and uprated 3.2 brakes

What is your motivation for sending the car . Strong emotional tie as was bought and raced by me for 6 years?

When are you planning on sending it?: Not sure hopefully before end of year.

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ : Never sell

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus : I will have or buy another car asap.

- What is the car worth in the UK if you were to sell it at the point of sending Vs what the realistic value of selling it when it finally arrives in OZ? Difficult to say but value prob around £50k in uk Not sure in Oz as cannot find anything similar to gauge it by.

2nd car

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : 3.2 Carrera G50 5 spd manual

Car Year :April 1989

Car mileage : ....129500.

What is your motivation for sending the car : Emotional attachment. First Porsche road car.

When are you planning on sending it? : Hopefully before end of year.

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ; No intention of selling.

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus: I will buy or have another car.

What is the car worth in the UK if you were to sell it at the point of sending Vs what the realistic value of selling it when it finally arrives in OZ? value in Uk probably around £23k Unsure of values in Oz as condition is everything. Anything from $30k to $100k.

I have been quoted by removals that both cars plus household good could be shipped in 40ft container for £5.5k +. Does that sound reasonable?

I shall be in Oz in March and April checking out possible areas to live and will check prices more closely when I'm there.

Any info in the meantime will be greatly appreciated.

regards

paul

Hi Savitar,

What is your motivation for sending the car . Strong emotional tie as was bought and raced by me for 6 years?

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus : I will have or buy another car asap.

- What is the car worth in the UK if you were to sell it at the point of sending Vs what the realistic value of selling it when it finally arrives in OZ? Difficult to say but value prob around £50k in uk Not sure in Oz as cannot find anything similar to gauge it by.

2nd car

What is your motivation for sending the car : Emotional attachment. First Porsche road car.

What is the car worth in the UK if you were to sell it at the point of sending Vs what the realistic value of selling it when it finally arrives in OZ? value in Uk probably around £23k Unsure of values in Oz as condition is everything. Anything from $30k to $100k.

I have been quoted by removals that both cars plus household good could be shipped in 40ft container for £5.5k +. Does that sound reasonable?

I shall be in Oz in March and April checking out possible areas to live and will check prices more closely when I'm there.

regards

paul

If your moving to Melbourne, there's no question, you always bring a Porsche to Australia!

If both the cars are in your name and you have owned the 1989 for more than a year, then apply for the 1989 as a Personal import, this is the only way to bring a post 88 Porsche into Australia. For the 1970, you apply for it as a Pre 89 car and when you want to register it you only have to make it comply to the Australian Design Rules in force in 1970, these are ADR 4 - Seat belts, ADR 5A - Seat belt Anchorages and ADR 7 - Hydraulic brake hoses and possibly ADR 20 (if built after July 1970) - Safety rims.

Due to the race car modifications, you might get some issues with a road worthy certifcate but as long as the car is sound and not structurally damaged then it should be ok.

I'm a VASS engineer in Melbourne, which is one of the guys working for Vicroads that certifies Personal imports or Pre-89 to be registered on Victorian roads.

I also brought a 40ft container back from the UK about 7 years ago with 3 cars in the bottom of it and it was about 6-7K in UK pounds for shipping and insurance.

Hope this helps you.

Regards, Blake A.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Savitar

Just came across your thread and interested to know your thoughts on our car that we are planning to move over to Melbourne from London - move is planned early April 2015:

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : X5 40d 3.0L diesel

Car Year : Dec-2012

Car mileage : 8800 miles

Special options : M-Sport finish, 7-seater, pano roof, electric tailgate/wing mirrors

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)? Use for driving business clients around as well as personal use

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? As long as possible, at least 3 years

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? As soon as possible but we have car on both ends to cover us

Many thanks in advance

Ben

Hi Savitar,

2nd car

regards

paul

Hey Paul,

Sorry for the late response. I thought I had already responded but clearly that did not work.

In short, both a VERY well worth sending. For cars of this age and stature the import factor just does not exist (or will not affect the price / factor). Old porkers are going up in value these days, especially if there is something special about it, like both of these.

I would highly suggest you get some quotes for the import valuation before you go too far just to know what you are in for with the costs of the imports. As arrows said, the registration process should be simple for you but might require a little work, just like any MOT....

Also, as Arrows said, you can get both of them in, on though the pre-87 rule and one for the personal import scheme so should be straight forward...

Good luck with the imports and enjoy the porkers!!

Hi Savitar

Just came across your thread and interested to know your thoughts on our car that we are planning to move over to Melbourne from London - move is planned early April 2015:

Car Model (including engine and gearbox) : X5 40d 3.0L diesel

Car Year : Dec-2012

Car mileage : 8800 miles

Special options : M-Sport finish, 7-seater, pano roof, electric tailgate/wing mirrors

What is your motivation for sending the car (profit, can't get car in OZ, love the car and can't leave without it etc)? Use for driving business clients around as well as personal use

How long will you keep the car when you get to OZ (best guess, I.e. days, months, years, never sell, try to be as specific as possible)? As long as possible, at least 3 years

When will you need the car in the UK vs Aus (I.e. it takes 3-4 months from shipping to on the road, will you have another car to cover it)? As soon as possible but we have car on both ends to cover us

Many thanks in advance

Ben

Hey Ben,

Looking at the prices of these cars in the UK I am guessing that this is worth around 40K to sell right now. That means you are talking around $78,000 AUD in your pocket. Now if you look at this offering in OZ :

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/BMW-X5-2012/AGC-AD-17222731/?Cr=4

You will see that its only $88K without negotiation. It appears to be a similar spec to yours and the same milage. Given that it will cost you at least $20K just to get your into the country the maths just don't add up.

Then when you look into selling that is where it will hurt you....you are looking around 20-30% Less in selling value (and a lot more hassle) so if you sell in 3 years you are probably looking at around $8-$10K less in value for the sale.

Adding this all up, I just don't think its worth it. You can sell, and then pick up an ozzie one for less than the importing price and then will have a far easier (and more profitable) sale....

My 5c worth.

Hi Savitar,

I don't have a specific car at the moment but I am due to move out in Sep of this year and was wondering if it was worth buying a car now to ship over later with the main aim of making a profit.

A friend of mine has said to buy something that is rare over there (he suggests a Porsche Cayenne or a Maserati Quattroporte) and you can make a tidy profit. I have had a look at both cars on Ebay here and there and doubt whether this is true though.

From reading your posts I can see that some are worth taking over and some probably not. What is your take on this especially given the continuing weakening of the AUD against the pound?

From what I understand you do need to have owned the car for one year and get is shipped within six months of arriving - is this correct? Given I am coming out in 7 ish months could I keep the car in the UK until one year had passed and ship it over then as it should then fall within the time limit of shipping it over within six months (cutting it fine though) of arriving?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hi Savitar,

I don't have a specific car at the moment but I am due to move out in Sep of this year and was wondering if it was worth buying a car now to ship over later with the main aim of making a profit.

A friend of mine has said to buy something that is rare over there (he suggests a Porsche Cayenne or a Maserati Quattroporte) and you can make a tidy profit. I have had a look at both cars on Ebay here and there and doubt whether this is true though.

From reading your posts I can see that some are worth taking over and some probably not. What is your take on this especially given the continuing weakening of the AUD against the pound?

From what I understand you do need to have owned the car for one year and get is shipped within six months of arriving - is this correct? Given I am coming out in 7 ish months could I keep the car in the UK until one year had passed and ship it over then as it should then fall within the time limit of shipping it over within six months (cutting it fine though) of arriving?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

Hey Mark,

Happy to provide some thoughts on this. Firstly, in terms of eligibility you are best to speak with IronLady imports, they are the experts here and will be able to give you the best advise around this. Now having said that, my understanding is that you CAN NOT do what you are asking. You need to have owned and LIVED with the car in the UK for at least one year before applying. If you are planning on moving in Sept then you will only have 6 months of living with it. You can't just leave it in the UK and then ship it over 6 months later, it simply does not work like that. Now if you are coming to OZ for a short business trip but your place of residence stays the UK (and you go back there regularly) then it should be fine....They are VERY strict on this as you have to provide a photocopy of EVERY page of your passport.

Now, assuming you do qualify for the import, the key question is, is it worth it? Well I can tell you from experience that if you are planning on making money by doing this then forget it for all but very rare cars. I imported a 2010 BMW M3 competition pack that was just on 3 years old and only 8,000 miles on the clock. When I bought it I paid (convered into Aussie) about $65,000 for it and they were going for around $130 - $145k at the time in OZ. No brainer for a big profit right???? Wrong, over the next 1.5 years (by the time you get it on the road its about 1.5 years) the average price of the cars in oz dropped to around $95 - $110K, but still you would think its a shoe in for making money...WRONG....it cost me about $20K to get it on the road all up once you take into account fees to export, import, ship, insure, compy and then to put on the road....THEN, and this is what is the kick in the nu7s, imports typically go for around 20-30% LESS than aussie cars of the same standard. People in just don't trust ANY car that comes in as a personal import when the same car is available delivered to OZ. Its stupid but its the way it works.

For my car, I almost completely broke even. It basically cost me NOTHING to own and drive a 1.5 year old BMW M3 for 1.5 years.....in oz for the same time the average person would have lost around $30K - $40K. So while I did not lose any money, did not make any money, I saved the $40K I would have lost if I have purchased the car in OZ.

So are there any cars where you can MAKE money.....Hmmmm.....not very likely. There certainly would be BUT you really need to find something special that is not worth a fortune (as think about it, if you were forking out $200,000 for car, would you put your money on an import or an Aussie delivered one with full warranty, local service history etc), that does not really have much competition for sales in OZ. What you are looking for is an enthusiast car where people will recognise what it is over the import stigma....

More than happy to give you my thoughts on some cars if you are interested but you really need to sort out your 12 month thing as (as I understand it) that is a deal breaker...

Many thanks for the quick reply regarding this. It does look like the one year of ownership before going would make it unfeasible. I will have a further read into it but I'm sure you are correct. And I can well believe as you say that they are really strict on this. When my friend emailed me the figures he quoted it did look to good to be true and to be fair it does look that way even if I did own it for a year!

Thanks again for the reply - if anything changes I'll be sure you let you know.

Mark.

Many thanks for the quick reply regarding this. It does look like the one year of ownership before going would make it unfeasible. I will have a further read into it but I'm sure you are correct. And I can well believe as you say that they are really strict on this. When my friend emailed me the figures he quoted it did look to good to be true and to be fair it does look that way even if I did own it for a year!

Thanks again for the reply - if anything changes I'll be sure you let you know.

Mark.

No problem....happy to provide my thoughts....Any questions, please let me know...

Archived