Move date v near!!!

ClezS

Well. Things are developing. I finished work on Friday so now its full steam ahead 2-3 weeks of full on "prepare to make the biggest move of your life" oh with the added bonus of finding out OH's company may pull the plug on the whole project (which is what drove the move in the first place) it's a small chance..But it may happen!!! To use the words of Marty McFly (!?!?) "Damn it why do we always have to cut these things so damn fine!!!" Stressed?...Yep!!! Wine is helping lol!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok. so let me tell you what I know.. Biggerra waters is lovely but not much going on. Kids would go to southport school from there. runaway bay is also lovely with shopping centre and tavern but not much else. There are also some gated places there which are very close to industrial areas on the outskirts so be careful for that; they could go to Helensvale school from there. Coomera school I hear has a bad reputation and I believe that pacific pines is also headed that way. I know from speaking to school staff at Helensvale that people are trying to get their kids moved from coomera schools etc to enrol at helensvale by going through the excellence programmes which are at helensvale school. This is the only way they could get into a school out of their catchment area. we settled for where we knew the kids would be able to easily access things. Where we live in Helensvale they can walk to skate park, rugby, tennis, swimming. we can walk to taverns and eating places so no need for taxis after the odd tipple. we have two shopping centres which we can walk to. doctors, dentist, pharmacys, butchers, pizza hut and loads more without using a car. And or course because the weather is usually lovely its nice to walk now and again. when we buy I am almost sure it will be in helensvale and we will look at the discovery drive or lindfield rd area. There are some fabulous brick houses mixed with queendlander types, loads of trees, parrots, swimming pools etc and not many uncared for houses (not that I've seen anyway) even kangaroos come out at dusk. helensvale school has just discovered a pair of koalas in their preservation area, how cool is that. Not sure about crime but haven't felt threatened or insecure in any way. there was an incident last week which was domestic violence related and three locals apprehended the guy until police came. we sometimes hear cars doing donuts at night but I know they do that in every area as friends here them too in other suburbs. let me know if you see an address or area and i'll go and check it out for you..

Thats "Upper Coomera State College" you are refering to ? yes not the best school, there is a large Pacific Islander enrolment at the school. Shame really as Coomera Springs and Coomera Rivers primary schools are good schools, but the issue you then have is where to send them for high school. Need to make sure you are in the catchment that would allow you to go to Ormeau Woods State High or the new Pimpama State High, if you end up in the coomera, ormeau, pimpama areas.

Pacific Pines - Dont know why but a fair few are leaving "jubilee" primary. Its a strange set up, a Ecumenical School.

Just one thing I thought I would mention Helensvale Primary have close to 1100 primary children, so if your child is coming from a small school this may be something to consider.

Hi,

Our sons also went to a small school in the UK but we have found that the class sizes are very similar at the primary here. The high school classes are smaller here though as our home town in the UK has the 'super schools' . I think because the schools are split into houses and similar groups this may disguise the fact that the school is actually huge. I agree that it should be considered when choosing a school but we haven't found it a problem so far.

Hi,

Our sons also went to a small school in the UK but we have found that the class sizes are very similar at the primary here. The high school classes are smaller here though as our home town in the UK has the 'super schools' . I think because the schools are split into houses and similar groups this may disguise the fact that the school is actually huge. I agree that it should be considered when choosing a school but we haven't found it a problem so far.

Thats great to hear, the area of helensvale, coomera, pimpama, and ormeau really is an incredible area for good schools

we are definitely lucky to be living in this area of the gold coast. I think its got great prospects and the good schools can only mean the areas will maintain a good reputation (hopefully anyway)

15 years ago the area between the GC and Brisbane was "bush" it was considered you had a screw loose if you bought that far from Brisbane, now look at it. When St Stephens first opened it almost went broke due to lack of enrolments, now it has a waiting list a mile long. Lords tried to open back around 2009 but council would not approve it as there was no call for a third private school, again been open for three years, started with a hand full of students and next year will have over 400 prep to Gr 11 and the kindy is booked out for 2015. I remember Pimpama Primary as a tiny "bush" school now bursting at the seams and a brand new Pimpama Primary to open next year. I remember when the M1 opened you hardly saw a car on the road LOL gee now look at it .

You are a fountain of knowledge Tina2. Me, being a newbie, am not that knowledgeable about how things have changed and progressed on the gold coast so its good that people on here have access to your experience and knowledge.

LOL dont know about being a fountain of knowledge, apart from work contracts in NSW and Vic we have spent much of the last 40 years in the brisbane area, and before I retired I designed school uniforms so I looked after schools from NSW right up to North Qld so you do get to see and hear a lot of interesting things. Guess this is the great thing about this site we all share what ever we can and the info continues to build. A bit of useless info, the M1 was called the "runway" when it first opened by the locals due to its concrete base. LOL

On the other hand being new to the GC you see things through fresh eyes and have much knowledge to offer on so many things that effect you when you first arrive. Just heard that Helensvale High are in the process of bring in a new smart uniform, I can see that school becoming one of the best state High schools in your area, as they have a progressive new principle.

Well. Things are developing. I finished work on Friday so now its full steam ahead 2-3 weeks of full on "prepare to make the biggest move of your life" oh with the added bonus of finding out OH's company may pull the plug on the whole project (which is what drove the move in the first place) it's a small chance..But it may happen!!! To use the words of Marty McFly (!?!?) "Damn it why do we always have to cut these things so damn fine!!!" Stressed?...Yep!!! Wine is helping lol!!

Nothing like a curve ball to add to the stress eh! Hope it all goes to plan for you. I'm working through all the paper work this week ie bank accounts etc... All the boring stuff. I'm feeling very tense and wound up like a tightly sprung coil just now. It's all just a mine field of emotions. Doubt it will get any easier till we get over there.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing like a curve ball to add to the stress eh! Hope it all goes to plan for you. I'm working through all the paper work this week ie bank accounts etc... All the boring stuff. I'm feeling very tense and wound up like a tightly sprung coil just now. It's all just a mine field of emotions. Doubt it will get any easier till we get over there.

Oh gosh tell me about it. After almost 2 weeks of "we're going, we're not going, we're going again" we are finally going!!!!! Next Thursday!!!! Just confirmed today...Now the fun really starts. We're staying in Southport for a few weeks and its all hands on deck to sort a house,school etc when we get there. Mostly got things sorted here but wow this is THE hardest and most stressful thing...ever!!! Hope plans are still falling into place with you. Hope to see you on the other side...of the freaking world!!!! ???

Oh gosh tell me about it. After almost 2 weeks of "we're going, we're not going, we're going again" we are finally going!!!!! Next Thursday!!!! Just confirmed today...Now the fun really starts. We're staying in Southport for a few weeks and its all hands on deck to sort a house,school etc when we get there. Mostly got things sorted here but wow this is THE hardest and most stressful thing...ever!!! Hope plans are still falling into place with you. Hope to see you on the other side...of the freaking world!!!! 

Furniture & all our stuff gone! Arrive 18th Sept. Look forward to seeing u there. How mad, here we are typing in the UK and next week......the other side of the World!!!!! It's mad here at the mo!! Xx

Well. We're here in Oz....The last 2 weeks have been such a whirlwind that I could very well have landed in Dorothy's Oz...But a good nights sleep and a little walk around the block and I know I'm definitely in Australia. So all the hard work was worth it...I think. Onwards and upwards...Houses...Schools etc etc. We changed our minds again (and became a little more restricted due to work etc) about the area we'll live in and we're going a little further to the south. Hoping to find a rental in or very close to Elanora. So that's us up to date. How's everyone else getting on? X

Archived