Move date v near!!!

ClezS

Hello, well another site newby. Not a clue what you're meant to do or how it really works...So thought I'd post and hope for the best ☺. The family and I are all set to move from good ol' Yorkshire to Gold Coast in September 14 (Yes less than a month YIKES!!). Other half is out there already. We don't have accommodation yet but have done a reccy visit and fancy either Helensvale, Coomera Waters or Elanora. We're lucky that we're not massively restricted to where we live, so long as its Gold Coast...Any opinions on the areas mentioned above? Our son is 11 so almost due to start high school...again any opinions/advice/tips on schools in these areas gratefully received...Ever have that feeling you're no where near ready for the big BIG move??? Also friendly people with time for a coffee and who will act as information guides will be received and probably repaid in cake ?. Thanks for getting to the end of this post. I've rambled!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, we live in Varsity Lakes and going to enrol our eldest today at Varsity College, to start prep next feb.

It looks a great school and the reports back that too.

I cant comment on helensvale, elanora or coomera but they wouldnt be my first choices. We liked Varsity Lakes, Robina, Mudgeraba great family areas, close to M1 and good train links to brisbane too.

I know how daunting the move is so if you have any questions, no matter how small they are then let me know. Weve been here just over a year now and its nice, not home and not really settled but thats nothing to do with the area.

Ormeau and Pimpama on the other side of the M1 to Coomera is also a good area, heaps of tops schools, both state and private,

great shops, train direct to Brisbane, close to beaches.

Have a look at http://www.whereis.com you can key in any suburb and get a map of the area, then you can key in two places and press directions and it will show you the route and give you time and KM, you can also look for things like schools, shops, hospitals as well.

Fab tips and advice, thank you all. We looked at Varsity Lakes too and liked it. Some things to think about and to report back to OH who can go check places out in person before son and I get there in September. Wattsy1982 would be good to hear how your eldest gets on at varsity college, think I'm most worried about how our son will get on in school. Thanks again :-) Any other advice...keep it coming thank you much xx

Hello, well another site newby. Not a clue what you're meant to do or how it really works...So thought I'd post and hope for the best ☺. The family and I are all set to move from good ol' Yorkshire to Gold Coast in September 14 (Yes less than a month YIKES!!). Other half is out there already. We don't have accommodation yet but have done a reccy visit and fancy either Helensvale, Coomera Waters or Elanora. We're lucky that we're not massively restricted to where we live, so long as its Gold Coast...Any opinions on the areas mentioned above? Our son is 11 so almost due to start high school...again any opinions/advice/tips on schools in these areas gratefully received...Ever have that feeling you're no where near ready for the big BIG move??? Also friendly people with time for a coffee and who will act as information guides will be received and probably repaid in cake . Thanks for getting to the end of this post. I've rambled!

Hi ClezS,

We arrived in Helensvale May 2014. So far we like living here. We have two boys age 14 and 12 and they have settled well into the Helensvale schools. Helensvale State High School has got a really good reputation and I hear that people are buying in the catchment area in order to get their kids into the school. They are now an independent school and run some excellence programmes for sport, art and drama etc. Apparently the school previously had some issues but the new head has turned things around. The shopping is great and close by. Access to motorway for commuting. Ten mins to beaches etc. Helensvale also has a new library which is open 7 days. This has been a godsend to us for using the computers and printers etc until our container arrives. There are a couple of taverns, some lovely eating places and a skate park which the boys love. Housing is also affordable. Discovery drive is the main drag that runs through Helensvale with rugby club, golf, cricket, tennis, swim centre and skate park and of course two shopping centres just off there too. So far we cant fault Helensvale as it has everything we need as a family. There are also good places nearby such as tambourine mountain, harbourtown shopping village and or course the lovely beaches of Southport (where next commonwealth games will be held) main beach, surfers etc. Where else can you go and eat fresh caught fish and chips sat overlooking the water watching the pelicans. I know people who live at coomera waters and they love it although housing there seems more expensive because its on the water. I think its a bit quieter there too with less going on. I am commuting to Brisbane for work which is not ideal but when talking about moving closer to work the kids will have none of it. They love it here..at the end of the day what works for one may not work for another but I just wanted to give you my perspective as a newbie to the area.

good luck with the move. it is a massive thing to do and some days you will feel sick to your stomach wondering if you've done the right thing. for the first few weeks I woke up every day and cried. I was seriously pining for what I had left behind. Now we are both in work we are able to see that our life here will be so much better and we will financially be better off. We have not had a weekend yet where we haven't had a barbie on the beach, been to theme parks, long walks on beach, been to local events etc. Back in the UK we did very little mainly due to cash flow and weather.

If you decide to move to this area and want a friendly face when you get here give me a shout..

Hi ClezS,

We arrived in Helensvale May 2014. So far we like living here. We have two boys age 14 and 12 and they have settled well into the Helensvale schools. Helensvale State High School has got a really good reputation and I hear that people are buying in the catchment area in order to get their kids into the school. They are now an independent school and run some excellence programmes for sport, art and drama etc. Apparently the school previously had some issues but the new head has turned things around. The shopping is great and close by. Access to motorway for commuting. Ten mins to beaches etc. Helensvale also has a new library which is open 7 days. This has been a godsend to us for using the computers and printers etc until our container arrives. There are a couple of taverns, some lovely eating places and a skate park which the boys love. Housing is also affordable. Discovery drive is the main drag that runs through Helensvale with rugby club, golf, cricket, tennis, swim centre and skate park and of course two shopping centres just off there too. So far we cant fault Helensvale as it has everything we need as a family. There are also good places nearby such as tambourine mountain, harbourtown shopping village and or course the lovely beaches of Southport (where next commonwealth games will be held) main beach, surfers etc. Where else can you go and eat fresh caught fish and chips sat overlooking the water watching the pelicans. I know people who live at coomera waters and they love it although housing there seems more expensive because its on the water. I think its a bit quieter there too with less going on. I am commuting to Brisbane for work which is not ideal but when talking about moving closer to work the kids will have none of it. They love it here..at the end of the day what works for one may not work for another but I just wanted to give you my perspective as a newbie to the area.

good luck with the move. it is a massive thing to do and some days you will feel sick to your stomach wondering if you've done the right thing. for the first few weeks I woke up every day and cried. I was seriously pining for what I had left behind. Now we are both in work we are able to see that our life here will be so much better and we will financially be better off. We have not had a weekend yet where we haven't had a barbie on the beach, been to theme parks, long walks on beach, been to local events etc. Back in the UK we did very little mainly due to cash flow and weather.

If you decide to move to this area and want a friendly face when you get here give me a shout..

Hi hope you dont mind me jumping in here but just to save confusion for others Helensvale State High is a "state school" but runs an excellance program very similar to much sort after kelvin Grove State High. https://helensvaleshs.eq.edu.au/Curriculum/Excellenceprograms/Pages/Excellenceprograms.aspx

Hello, well another site newby. Not a clue what you're meant to do or how it really works...So thought I'd post and hope for the best ☺. The family and I are all set to move from good ol' Yorkshire to Gold Coast in September 14 (Yes less than a month YIKES!!). Other half is out there already. We don't have accommodation yet but have done a reccy visit and fancy either Helensvale, Coomera Waters or Elanora. We're lucky that we're not massively restricted to where we live, so long as its Gold Coast...Any opinions on the areas mentioned above? Our son is 11 so almost due to start high school...again any opinions/advice/tips on schools in these areas gratefully received...Ever have that feeling you're no where near ready for the big BIG move??? Also friendly people with time for a coffee and who will act as information guides will be received and probably repaid in cake . Thanks for getting to the end of this post. I've rambled!

Welcome to the moving to GC in Sept club! We move over on the 8th, no rental sorted yet. We're looking at Helensvale, Oxenford & Coomera (not Upper)! We're all going to have to meet up for a drink. Would be good to have people to share same experience with.

Welcome to the moving to GC in Sept club! We move over on the 8th, no rental sorted yet. We're looking at Helensvale, Oxenford & Coomera (not Upper)! We're all going to have to meet up for a drink. Would be good to have people to share same experience with.

Hi,

when we arrived we stayed in a holiday apartment in Bigerra waters. we booked it direct with them for 500.00 per week. We hired a car straight away for 30.00 per day and started looking for rentals from day three or four. We struggled getting a rental as many wont allow pets but we managed to find one just before the end of the two weeks in holiday apartment. A word of advice though..bring mortgage statements or rent references and/or proof of money in the bank. This made it so much easier for us to be accepted as acceptable tenants. I don't think you can sort a rental out until you are in OZ. The rental laws here are not like UK ie: you have to sign inspection documents within 48 hours of signing tenancy. Many agents do block viewings and then whoever has best credit rating and circumstances etc gets the house. They are also very strict and request that no pictures, curtains rails, shelves etc are put up. No decorating and they inspect the property usually every three months. When moving out of the property they will ask for a professional full house clean including carpets and require a receipt as proof. we have friends who live in both oxenford and coomera but we still prefer Helensvale as its not short of anything really.

I agree we should all arrange to meet up as it can be very daunting and complicated trying to understand the Aussie systems. You will all be ready for a good drink once here I imagine.

Wow thanks again for the info. They do say ask and ye shall receive. Never a truer word spoke in this case lol. Burnley Girl thank you for the info on Helensvale, we visited at Easter and I did like that area, but was starting to doubt myself (as you do) so reviews/info whatever you want to call it - is just a massive help, and to know your boys have settled in school is so reassuring, I'm hopeful that mine will but the above helps alot. Tina2 thank you for the link, I'll check it put later (about to leave for work so not time atm) and zk2102 thanks for the welcome, just to know someone is going through the same thing is weirdly calming lol. We dont have a rental yet but will be staying in South port until we get one. Are your flights booked etc? Ours aren't but we're looking to go about the same date as you (if you're flying from Manchester I'll meet you in the duty free ha ha) drinks sounds good too...one of the things that worries me most is not knowing anyone! So thanks to all I'm eternally grateful x

Hi,

when we arrived we stayed in a holiday apartment in Bigerra waters. we booked it direct with them for 500.00 per week. We hired a car straight away for 30.00 per day and started looking for rentals from day three or four. We struggled getting a rental as many wont allow pets but we managed to find one just before the end of the two weeks in holiday apartment. A word of advice though..bring mortgage statements or rent references and/or proof of money in the bank. This made it so much easier for us to be accepted as acceptable tenants. I don't think you can sort a rental out until you are in OZ. The rental laws here are not like UK ie: you have to sign inspection documents within 48 hours of signing tenancy. Many agents do block viewings and then whoever has best credit rating and circumstances etc gets the house. They are also very strict and request that no pictures, curtains rails, shelves etc are put up. No decorating and they inspect the property usually every three months. When moving out of the property they will ask for a professional full house clean including carpets and require a receipt as proof. we have friends who live in both oxenford and coomera but we still prefer Helensvale as its not short of anything really.

I agree we should all arrange to meet up as it can be very daunting and complicated trying to understand the Aussie systems. You will all be ready for a good drink once here I imagine.

When we were over for our reccie we stayed on the Gold Coast holiday park. They've changed the website and I can't get through to the booking page so will find somewhere different. My son loves a skate park! I'm sure he'll be a regular there, he's 10 btw. Good to hear that you like Helensvale school. I was a bit worried about the schools and had started looking at the private ones but would prefer not to have to spend the cash. OH is waiting for confirmation of a job offer which will mean a commute to Brissie but we really like Helensvale. Look forward to meeting you all :smile:

Wow thanks again for the info. They do say ask and ye shall receive. Never a truer word spoke in this case lol. Burnley Girl thank you for the info on Helensvale, we visited at Easter and I did like that area, but was starting to doubt myself (as you do) so reviews/info whatever you want to call it - is just a massive help, and to know your boys have settled in school is so reassuring, I'm hopeful that mine will but the above helps alot. Tina2 thank you for the link, I'll check it put later (about to leave for work so not time atm) and zk2102 thanks for the welcome, just to know someone is going through the same thing is weirdly calming lol. We dont have a rental yet but will be staying in South port until we get one. Are your flights booked etc? Ours aren't but we're looking to go about the same date as you (if you're flying from Manchester I'll meet you in the duty free ha ha) drinks sounds good too...one of the things that worries me most is not knowing anyone! So thanks to all I'm eternally grateful x

Haha, flights booked (no). Nothing like leaving it to the last minute! Will be flying out of Gatwick. I'm going first with my son (10). Daughter will join us a week later. Husband has to work his notice, so October for him and then hopefully straight into his new job (fingers crossed). So much to do and so little time!! Will look forward to catching up with you all. It makes me feel so much better knowing we're not alone in all this. Xx

We had a couple of friends In Helensvale and to be honest I don't know what we would have done without them . It definitely made it easier but of course we don't want to invade their already established friendship network. We have made acquaintances via the kids sports etc but ideally would love to meet more friends. we went to the local tavern for a few drinks last Saturday and there were two chaps in there one from Chelsea and one from Sunderland. They started having a bit of football banter and before you know it you're coming away with a mobile number and an offer to take kids kayaking. Everyone is so much more friendly here I find. Others may have different experiences but ours have been all good so far.

When we were over for our reccie we stayed on the Gold Coast holiday park. They've changed the website and I can't get through to the booking page so will find somewhere different. My son loves a skate park! I'm sure he'll be a regular there, he's 10 btw. Good to hear that you like Helensvale school. I was a bit worried about the schools and had started looking at the private ones but would prefer not to have to spend the cash. OH is waiting for confirmation of a job offer which will mean a commute to Brissie but we really like Helensvale. Look forward to meeting you all :smile:

I think the holiday park is a Big4 holiday park. There is one in Helensvale near to theme parks and another in Labrador. We priced them up and found them expensive but I think it was school hols at the time. I am working in Brisbane which isn't ideal but its a good job so worth the travel. Train is really regular and about ten min walk from home for me but I prefer to drive. Many jobs in CBD don't have access to parking and its really expensive to pay meter or car parks. I'm lucky that I work on outskirts and have parking provided. It may be worth OH just asking the question re parking.

I think the holiday park is a Big4 holiday park. There is one in Helensvale near to theme parks and another in Labrador. We priced them up and found them expensive but I think it was school hols at the time. I am working in Brisbane which isn't ideal but its a good job so worth the travel. Train is really regular and about ten min walk from home for me but I prefer to drive. Many jobs in CBD don't have access to parking and its really expensive to pay meter or car parks. I'm lucky that I work on outskirts and have parking provided. It may be worth OH just asking the question re parking.

Theres no parking near Darren's work. He'll have to take the train. Hopefully (it takes Sooo long for official contracts to be drawn up) he'll be working for Brisbane City Council!

well that's that sorted then...another example of some really nice Helensvale folk..today I was parked whilst shopping and came out to find a note on my windscreen telling me that they had witnessed another car hit mine and gave me the offending vehicle reg number and their mobile number etc. I couldn't see any damage on my car but rang them to thank them for leaving me the note. They had taken pictures of the offending cars damage and have emailed them to me just in case I want to follow up. I thought that was really decent of them to do that. In all the times my car has been pranged by cars or trolleys in supermarket car parks in UK not once has anyone done that.

Kind of restores your faith and all that

Here is the link to the GC holiday park http://gold-coast-holiday-park.qld.big4.com.au

Also a link to Helensvale Primary School https://helensvaless.eq.edu.au/Ourschool/Pages/Ourschool.aspx

This is an on line maths program used in many schools in Aus especially state schools for those not yet here might be a help to have your children have a look at the sort of maths done in class over here. http://www.mathletics.com.au

Am starting to feel pretty excited about this move after talking to you guys. Looking at all these links is making things feel a lot clearer and helping loads. Sounds like a few of us have kids of similar ages...again fab, I'm keen that Elliott (son) settles as quickly as poss. What about the job market? Is it very competitive? Might sound daft but its an element I've not thought much about...I'm VERY lucky that OH already has a job which will hopefully mean I can work PT. A first for me I've always worked FT since Elliott started primary...So all that means I hope to get some PT work eventually. I've just become CIPD qualified which is recognised in Oz too do hopefully that will stand me in good stead...How did you guys find it (if you did have to get work once in the country)?

Burnley Girl...that story DOES restore your faith a bit yes. I did lose my engagement ring while we were on our reccy visit at easter. I lost it at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and long story short it fell out my pocket and the area it fell on basically meant someone picked it up and walked off with it rather than hand it in...so it left a nasty taste, so your experience does restore faith that there are some decent people out there. ☺

well that's that sorted then...another example of some really nice Helensvale folk..today I was parked whilst shopping and came out to find a note on my windscreen telling me that they had witnessed another car hit mine and gave me the offending vehicle reg number and their mobile number etc. I couldn't see any damage on my car but rang them to thank them for leaving me the note. They had taken pictures of the offending cars damage and have emailed them to me just in case I want to follow up. I thought that was really decent of them to do that. In all the times my car has been pranged by cars or trolleys in supermarket car parks in UK not once has anyone done that.

Kind of restores your faith and all that

i read the Coomera Community page on FB and it really does feel like there's a real sense of community. I think we've chosen the right place to settle :) BTW really excited about meeting all of you!

zk2102...Forgot to add earlier... I am sooo glad someone else is last minute with booking flights ha ha. I'm only just booking the shipping too. Madness but when this opportunity came up thought we had ages...now we're nearly going and its mental. Cant wait to finish work next week and get stuck into getting sorted. Also looking forward to meeting everyone...getting the priorities right eh? ?

Hey, I'm also jumping in on this thread as we too arrive from kent to the Gold Coast on 24th September. We should all arrange a meet up perhaps late October once we are all kind of settled.

Perhaps one evening in a coffee shop to start with?

Kellie x

Not sure about the CIPD job market but I came as a Social Worker and have taken a job with essentially the same role but different title. It has taken three months for me to find work but probably because a lot of the work at the minute seems to be around aged care or children and families which I have not worked in. I've heard that UK trained staff are highly regarded in a lot of workplaces and that is certainly what I was told when I was offered my position. I have worked full time for years but am able to work part time over here for same money which is good and makes a nice change.

we booked a move cube container with one weeks notice and booked the flights two weeks before we flew. We sold our house and had fallen through twice so the third time we sold we asked to exchange contracts before completing which is when we starting booking things. I think the flights with Singapore airlines were £2.200 for four of us. I found the packing a nightmare but it depends what you are bringing. Soles of shoes have to be sterilised, you cant bring candles, pine cones, dried twigs or bamboo type stuff. The shipping people should give you the details.

I think someone mentioned before about certain areas in coomera having a less favourable reputation I don't know the area well but I know people talk about what side of the road you are on and there is also upper coomera. I hear that the high school has a poor reputation so you may want to consider that for the catchment area stuff. Kids from out of Helensvale catchment area can attend Helensvale state high if accepted onto one of the excellence programmes but of course they are not guaranteed to be accepted. My youngest has just tried out for the rugby excellence but not had the outcome yet. We are in the catchment area but if on the programme he will get more tuition around his rugby. So either way he's in.

I'm glad you're all feeling excited about your move. I was happy with my life in the UK but the kids and OH weren't. It was hard for me to give that up but now we are here and I have seen the difference in my boys I don't regret it. My 14 year old never went out in the UK but here he is much happier and out much more. Because it goes dark earlier here there doesn't seem to be the same groups of kids hanging around (not around us anyway). Mine go to the skate park before and after school and they're home for their tea.

Hey, I'm also jumping in on this thread as we too arrive from kent to the Gold Coast on 24th September. We should all arrange a meet up perhaps late October once we are all kind of settled.

Perhaps one evening in a coffee shop to start with?

Kellie x

Welcome Kellie. Do you know whereabouts you may settle in GC..

Archived