Construction work/Geelong/Salary Tax

MGHick

Hi all,

Me and my partner are looking to make the move to Victoria on a 190 visa, under building associate around Nov 2015.

I will have 10 years expereince in construction, having started out bricklaying then moved my way up to being a site manager/construction supervisor. I currently work for a large main contractor in the UK working on commerical jobs £10million or above.

Any information on similar work in Victoria would be gratly appreciated, it would be nice to here from people who are working under that same role as well. Mainly looking at potential job avaialability, potential salary, and any information on how salary is taxed in Victoria.

Just a note me and my partner have been looking at Geelong as a place to settle, so any information on work there in particular would be great or just general information on the area.

Thanks, Mitch

Hi Mitch

Cannot help with construction industry as not my area.

However, I do live in Geelong (well Lara actually, but close enough!).

Suburbs to look at are: Belmont, Grovedale, Highton, Wandana Heights, Waurn Ponds and of course Lara if small towns are your thing. Geelong West and Newtown for a central location, but they are pricier because of this. There's a new build estate going up at the minute at Armstrong Creek, but the infrastructure (shops, schools, etc.) is not there yet and it is a bit further south of Geelong. realestate.com.au will give you some idea of prices.

We like (and prefer) Geelong to the hustle and bustle of Melb CBD and its spralling suburbs. It has good a rail link to Melb, and a stones throw to the country and beaches.

Other websites to look at: whatsonigeelong.com.au geelongadvertiser.com.au geelongaustralia.com.au

Good luck

Thanks @peanig .... Some ov them towns you mentioned we have been looking at, so good to hear they are recommended ..... Thanks for the web links aswell they will definately come useful .... Anybody Else got any information for me??

Thanks, Mitch

Hello Mitch,i did 2 years bricklaying in Geelong and returned to UK in 2011. If your looking for a managerial role then Melbourne is your go as Geelong would be mainly house building . The only decent firm medium size i worked for was Spence Construction in Colac but they had a place in Pakington Street .If you go back on the trowel make sure you check out what the gang is like because there are some characters building houses in Geelong.

PS We lived in Drysdale it was lovely.

@ihanabell thanks for the info, will ave a look at spence construction, I would definately favor a job in management as thats what I do now but I wouldnt be opposed to goin back on the trowel until I find my feet.

why did you leave? just out of curiosity :)

Alot of reasons but basically we never sold our UK home in 2009 and felt at the time Australia was expensive to buy land and a house so decided to return to UK .Also bricklaying on new houses is savage in Victoria the ethics are way way behind .I was lucky i worked for a decent fellow but i cannot say i miss working in Geelong .If your back on the trowel be warned 30 minute break from 7 till 3.30 is hard and they have no hestitation in telling you they have no work for tomorrow.Great place to live poor place to work for someone is my best description of the area.Any help i can give just let me know.

A friend of mine works for Spence (also a pom, lol), they are not recruiting at present. But, as you are not looking to move until end of next year something may come up.

Other companies to look at are: Kane Construction and Lyons Construction

Archived