Valuation of household goods for insurance.

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

How much have people valued there goods at for the average 3 bed house, for insurance and customs purposes? Just after a rough general figure.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your -Move Ltd.

We are constantly asked this question and deliberately shy away from making any suggestions - sorry, but we are insurers not valuers (nor are the removers). Suppose we suggested you value your goods for £ 30k having never seen them, there is then a catastrophe and all your goods are lost and upon settlement of your claim you discover £ 30k was no where near enough to replace your entire consignment. Whose door would you be knocking on for giving you bad or inaccurate advice?? Equally, how do we know if you have a state of the art TV/Music system or a valuable collection or a set of work tools which may distort the overall value of your shipment.

The only guidance we give is that you might consider assessing the approx. UK replacement value of all the items being shipped and then apply the cost of living ratio between the UK and Oz. You will be surprised how quickly it all mounts up.

Sorry to put a negative slant on this question but we can recount numerous occasions where the claimant has stated 'we were told only to insure it for that amount' ......'

I am a Director of Insure Your -Move Ltd.

We are constantly asked this question and deliberately shy away from making any suggestions - sorry, but we are insurers not valuers (nor are the removers). Suppose we suggested you value your goods for £ 30k having never seen them, there is then a catastrophe and all your goods are lost and upon settlement of your claim you discover £ 30k was no where near enough to replace your entire consignment. Whose door would you be knocking on for giving you bad or inaccurate advice?? Equally, how do we know if you have a state of the art TV/Music system or a valuable collection or a set of work tools which may distort the overall value of your shipment.

The only guidance we give is that you might consider assessing the approx. UK replacement value of all the items being shipped and then apply the cost of living ratio between the UK and Oz. You will be surprised how quickly it all mounts up.

Sorry to put a negative slant on this question but we can recount numerous occasions where the claimant has stated 'we were told only to insure it for that amount' ......'

You are absolutely right, when it comes to signing on the dotted line you need to have a good idea of worth. but I got tje impression that Baz was just looking for a number to think on/ chuck in a budget.

Thats whst I was greatful for when a removal company told me 35k UK. It gave me a guide which I could then increase or decrease, depending on what my gut feel told me. Saved me spending a fair few hours working it all out correctly.

Each approach has it's time and place.

Buy the way, what percentage do you charge for insuring a packed by removal company 20' container?

Cheers.

Tom

Archived