Does it matter which ANZCO Code if you meet the criteria for more than one?

ImageConfident

Just wondering whether there are any benefits to choosing a particular profession code over another if your qualification/experience match many?

For example, my skills and qualifications mean I could apply for welfare worker, youth worker, community worker, student counsellor etc. Obviously I know it will depend upon which state is sponsoring each nominated occupation, but just wondered WHETHER IT REALLY MATTERS WHICH ONE YOU CHOOSE?

Thank you Cath x

It would usually matter. Fro a state sponsored visa, you must have a positive skills assessment and most of the occupations you've listed have different skills assessment requirements e.g. while Youth Worker and Community Worker are both in VETASSESS Group C, Student Counsellor is in VETASSESS Group A - different VETASSESS Groups mean different qualification and work experience requirements in order to get a positive skills assessment. Welfare Worker is assessed by a completely different organisation (ACWA) meaning that it has its own set of requirements. Also, it is only possible to add work experience in different roles together for points if the occupations are in the same ANZSCO major group (only Youth Worker and Community Worker are in the same group).

Within the constraints of which occupations are open for state sponsorship, you should select the one with the best match to your qualifications and verifiable work experience.

If you have an identical chance of getting a positive skills assessment for more than one occupation and if you can definitely claim exactly the same points for work experience and if all are on the occupation list of a state where you would be happy to live, there's no benefit in nominating one occupation over another. That fairly unlikely though and work experience (either for points or skills assessment) is where the difference is most likely to apply. I think most people would find that their work background would give an edge to one occupation over any other possibilities. If there really is no difference, it doesn't matter what occupation you nominate - after you have the visa, there's no requirement to work in your nominated occupation.

Archived