Basic question about shares from someone with no financial sense.

Hi, someone's just given my newborn daughter a few hundred $. I could open a savings account for her, but since we're not in a position to make much in the way of regular payments until I go back to work in 12 months time, I thought it would be more fun to buy her shares or something instead ... maybe in chocolate (for no other reason than I love chocolate and she probably will too). Can anyone advise on how to go about buying shares in trust for someone else; can I just do it myself on line? Or can anyone recommend something better to do with her present? Apparently I have a small amount in premium bonds back in the UK, but nothing's ever come of it!

Hi Naomi

It is pretty straight forward to set up an online share trading account however given the brokerage charge of buying and selling all for a few hundred dollars it may not be worthwhile, for example if it cost $30 to place the trade then that is 10% of the $300.

That said there are sometimes offers by online share trading companies/platforms whereby they give the first few trades free or give a trade allowance of a few hundred dollars.

Lots of online trading platforms out there, just google it.

Regards

Andy

Archived