Customs declaration - at least 12 months old?

fingers456

Hi, we're moving next month and we're filling out the shipping forms. What's the deal with the declaration about stuff being less than 12 months old? Not only have we just had Christmas, but we also have 3 children's birthdays before we leave. Are we allowed to buy them presents? Do we need to declare the stuff from Christmas? And what about household stuff we've bought in the last 12 months before we'd even applied for jobs in Sydney let alone been offered one? Bookcases and rugs and things like that. We've paid tax on all our stuff bought in the UK so don't think it's fair to pay more tax in Aus. What's the penalty for not declaring stuff but being 'caught'? Has anyone else been in this boat? Thanks.

Don't worry about it, unless you obviously have lots of new items

Rule is to stop people bringing in containers full of cheap electronic goods or similar and flogging them here rather than to penalise your personal effects. The "don't take the mickey" common sense approach should be applied

so, does anyone know what the penalty is for getting it wrong?

And Border Control gave me some links to their websites, and I've found references to needing to declare stuff only over $1000 (but no info as to whether that's per item or in total) and any stuff I might want to bring would be less than that (per item). Border Control also says I'll need to declare the kids' birthday and Xmas presents, but there's no tariff sheet for Lego and plastic tat, to work out the duty on it. Not very straightforward.

Archived