Telecommunication/IT sector Jobs scenario in Melbourn

farry

Hi,

I am moving to Melbourn in a month or two.Any one here from telecommunication/IT sector who can guide me about Telecommunication/IT sector Jobs scenario in Melbourn.

Don't know which line you are in but I used to work for Telco's but all my work is now in India as per all tech jobs that can be sent there have been. I now drive a bus (what a comedown!) and my company is now importing Irish drivers in order to undermine the local drivers with a special lower wage deal they knocked out with the government?!

Good luck and sorry I cant help, anyone I knew in the sector is either collecting supermarket trollies, driving taxies or on the dole.

My brother left a large Telco lasts week after 18 years and he will not be looking at getting another one in in the industry unless he works for himself. He is a tech and has all the skills so he will be fine. It just became too hard the shifts were terrible, off shoring of all the call centres and the Aussie tech crew being reduced all the time. Seems to be a high turnover in staff these days as well. All the experienced people get out I think.

I am electrical engineer working in Telco sector. My field of Job is IN,I am charging system consultant and have experienced on both Huawei/Ericsson Nodes. What you have told is really scary.

Are you moving from India? I hope I am not being rude but it sounds like English is not your first language. The challenge is you need to be able to offer skills onshore in Australia that companies cannot get cheaper offshore in India or elsewhere.

I have not had any problems finding work in the IT sector but I am at management level and often my role involves being the 'translator' between teams offshore and onshore project management. Not literally language translation but taking the often highly technical information provided and filtering it in terms of quality of English, culture and project politics before it goes to the wider stakeholders.

You need to be prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up - you may even need to work outside your chosen field as others have said. I travelled quite a bit in my role and met many, many IT migrants driving the taxi I was in.

Are you moving from India? I hope I am not being rude but it sounds like English is not your first language. The challenge is you need to be able to offer skills onshore in Australia that companies cannot get cheaper offshore in India or elsewhere.

I have not had any problems finding work in the IT sector but I am at management level and often my role involves being the 'translator' between teams offshore and onshore project management. Not literally language translation but taking the often highly technical information provided and filtering it in terms of quality of English, culture and project politics before it goes to the wider stakeholders.

You need to be prepared to start at the bottom and work your way up - you may even need to work outside your chosen field as others have said. I travelled quite a bit in my role and met many, many IT migrants driving the taxi I was in.

yes i m from that part of the world and English is not my native language.thanks for your valuable words.Can you guide me more about the "most in demand certification in IT sector" there in Australia ???.i do have skills in java/perl scripting,oracle,Sunsolaris & SQL.

Archived