Great Start Grant/First Home Owners Grant

Lisa Anne Pope

Just asking if anyone know anything about the Great Start Grant eligibility? I have read the Qld Government Website about this and one of the eligibility criteria was that you or your spouse have not owned property in Australia before. I am not sure whether this means as long as one of you hasn't or if it means you both can not have owned property in Australia before. I originally moved out to Australia (Melbourne) with my parents and in 1989 interest rates were sitting at 18% and they could only get a mortgage if I was on as a third owner so my income could be counted to allow them to get a mortgage. I actually left Australia to return to the UK a few months later and returned a year later after to get married and moved into a rented accommodation with my husband. They sold the house in 1994 ( I did have to sign some paperwork but never made any money out of it). I am returning with my family to Queensland later this year (after living in UK for 14 years) and wondered if this would mean I was illegible - and do they check back that far and for all states? I never owned a property in my married name.

If your name was on the title to the property then you will be illegible and its either party that prevents the grant. A lot of people did what you did back then, and a lot of parents used their children to get the grant for property, illegal but it went on and I saw quite a bit of it about friends etc. However at the time I thought to myself it will come home to roost for the children later on when they have their own needs and wants and this is happening. Sad but it is.

"you or your spouse have not owned property in Australia before". I would have thought it is pretty obvious. DO NOT be tempted to lie as they do very thorough background checks and they will find out if you have even owned property abroad. The fines are quite high

If your name was on the title to the property then you will be illegible and its either party that prevents the grant. A lot of people did what you did back then, and a lot of parents used their children to get the grant for property, illegal but it went on and I saw quite a bit of it about friends etc. However at the time I thought to myself it will come home to roost for the children later on when they have their own needs and wants and this is happening. Sad but it is.

Thought this would be the case. I know my parents did not get any kind of a grant though, it was just to get a mortgage due to the daily increasing interest rates -I was just a teenager and had to do what I was told. They had signed for a house without subject to finance and were going to lose their 10% deposit if I didn't do it - a downside of being a child of the impulsive babyboomer (spend, spend, spend) generation.

I feel for you, however you should seek advice when you buy. You never know. If your boyfriend bought in his name as he has not owned in Aus before etc etc may be ok, just check. Even if its in his own name as a couple you still have rights.

Archived