Approximate timing

oldun

Good morning (or afternoon, or evening, depending where you are),

I have just received the official notification that our application for a 143 has been accepted (yaay!), so have a couple (actually three) of questions someone may be able to help me with.

The timelines I have been given are that we should start Police and Medical processes after June 2014, and the Assurance of Support process after August 2014, although we do have the option to wait until we have been assigned a Case Officer. When the Case Officer has been assigned he will give us deadlines to work to which are unlikely be extended. My initial thought is to wait until the Case Officer has been assigned (for the Police and Medical checks). Are the deadlines we will be given reasonable (ie a few weeks to get them sorted)?

Has anyone else received the same notification at around this time, and if so do you have a rough idea of how long before the final decision is made? (this may be a sort of "how long is a piece of string" question, but any guidance is gratefully received.

My initial thoughts are to "buy" the AUD required for the visa now, as the rate has improved greatly, on a Forward Contract (through Moneycorp) which means that I pay a 10% deposit now and then pay the rest in one year (at today's rate). I would then open an Australian Bank Account (I have looked into this) and transfer it to there, so payment can be made. My rationale is that I guess whilst the dosh is with Moneycorp it attracts no interest; whilst it is in my account here it will, and also when it is in the Aussie Account. This goes back to the question above - the visa is unlikely to be issued before a year I would guess? Also, if anyone sees any flaws in the above please let me know (I take criticism well, hardly a tear will fall).

So many questions, so little time (or "so many questions and god knows how much time").

Many thanks, cheers.

I can't comment on the visa but I reckon the pound will continue to strengthen against the AUD for another 12 months at least. I use HIFX to transfer my GBP over here - I bring chunk over each time there is a spike in the exchange rate. I expect 2:1 by mid/late 2014. Good luck..

Archived