I'm looking for short term rental in Melbourne - need your help please!

NickJB

Hi folks,

I'm arriving in Melbourne (from UK) at the start of January and staying for 6 months. I'm looking for short term rentals in and around Melbourne but I can't figure out the best way to weed them out from the long term ones. Could you offer any tips on how to find them? Most of the rental websites don't have a filter for lease length, so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Any websites, methods, etc, to find short term rental properties in Melbourne (or Oz in general) would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nick

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nick you can tell from the price for example a 4 bed house on a 12 month lease will be between $350 - $500 per week. A short term furnished rental will set you back from $800 - $2500 per week.

Also 99.9% of long term leases are unfurnished.

Hi Nick you can tell from the price for example a 4 bed house on a 12 month lease will be between $350 - $500 per week. A short term furnished rental will set you back from $800 - $2500 per week.

Also 99.9% of long term leases are unfurnished.

That makes sense. But $800 per week?! I guess it depends on location but that sounds like a posh CBD apartment for that price! I'm not looking for anything like that, but I appreciate your tip on pricing. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

In the UK, there are many short term rentals available so it's a different marketplace entirely it seems. In fact, over here you are actually put on a 3 month trial period and then can "apply" to stay on longer. Seems like Oz landlords want you straight in for the long haul from day one?

Guest The Pom Queen

Yes I would say 90% of landlords want a 12 month commitment, there are a few who do 6 month but not many.

$800 is cheap to be honest in the CBD but all utilities are included. However I would only recommend 4-8 weeks in one if these and then looking for a long lease with cheaper rates.

Hi folks,

I'm arriving in Melbourne (from UK) at the start of January and staying for 6 months. I'm looking for short term rentals in and around Melbourne but I can't figure out the best way to weed them out from the long term ones. Could you offer any tips on how to find them? Most of the rental websites don't have a filter for lease length, so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Any websites, methods, etc, to find short term rental properties in Melbourne (or Oz in general) would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Nick

Hey Nick,

Join the 'lifeinvictoria forum', there are landlords on that site that might be able to help you.

Kim :)

Guest The Pom Queen
Holiday lets are head spinningly expensive, not ideal for my situation. I'm staying for 6 months. I can't afford to spend $100 - $300 per night! Thanks anyway.

That's what I'm saying, there is no way you could pay that. You abbé two members on here who do short term rentals they charge around $500 per week.

If you can commit to 6 months then look here prices start around $200 per week http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-300-in-melbourne+city+-+greater+region%2c+vic/list-1?activeSort=price-asc

That's what I'm saying, there is no way you could pay that. You abbé two members on here who do short term rentals they charge around $500 per week.

If you can commit to 6 months then look here prices start around $200 per week http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/between-0-300-in-melbourne+city+-+greater+region%2c+vic/list-1?activeSort=price-asc

I see what you mean. Yes, I've been looking at realestate.com.au - it's a good site but I just wish they filtered short term leases. Sure, some do detail their leases, but most don't seem to... so it's a case of contacting the agent every time to find out if they do short term leases.

I guess I just wondered if there's a way to find these short lease properties exclusively, which doesn't seem the case. Ah well, back to contacting agents via email I guess :)

Guest The Pom Queen
I see what you mean. Yes, I've been looking at realestate.com.au - it's a good site but I just wish they filtered short term leases. Sure, some do detail their leases, but most don't seem to... so it's a case of contacting the agent every time to find out if they do short term leases.

I guess I just wondered if there's a way to find these short lease properties exclusively, which doesn't seem the case. Ah well, back to contacting agents via email I guess :)

You do find that if you want to be in the CBD this is where you are going to find the 6 month rentals. Just watch as some class holiday lets as short term rentals so if you ask an agent for a short term rental they may say they can't help. So make sure you say a 6 month rental. Also be warned that until you get in to the country most agents won't entertain you so you may have to take a short term (holiday let) one for the first 4 weeks until you get your 6 month rental.

You do find that if you want to be in the CBD this is where you are going to find the 6 month rentals. Just watch as some class holiday lets as short term rentals so if you ask an agent for a short term rental they may say they can't help. So make sure you say a 6 month rental. Also be warned that until you get in to the country most agents won't entertain you so you may have to take a short term (holiday let) one for the first 4 weeks until you get your 6 month rental.

Thanks Pom Queen, that's really useful advice. I'll bear that in mind from now on. I don't really care about being right in the CBD so hopefully I'll find something in the suburbs that is more flexible and affordable! I was also going to ask about dealing with agents remotely from another country and you've confirmed my suspicion on that too.

Thanks alot for your insights!

Archived