Container Cleaning / indemnity fees

Mandy Smith

Hi, so we are now just a few weeks away from the final move and all those daft questions are starting to surface.... along with a bit of panic! So I maybe in touch a few times in the next couple of weeks.

Anyway, the shipping company is now asking us to pay a container indemnity fee, just in case our container gets pulled for exterior cleaning. Does anyone know how likely this is to happen? Did anyone get caught out with the cleaning costs and no indemnity cover, if so how much did it cost you?

I'm just not sure if this is another way for the shippers to make money or if it is worth while taking the indemnity. We seem to be spending money like there is no tomorrow at the moment so anything we can save is a bonus.

Any advice / personal experiences would be helpful. Mandy

Guest The Pom Queen

I haven't heard of a company insisting you pay these fees. I do however know of two well known companies who have an option to pay an insurance to protect you, I can't remember the exact price but it wasn't a lot and is worth it so you aren't hit with additional costs.

I asked that same question when I got my quotes! In the end I decided that £35 on top of almost 4k for 20ft container was drop in ocean and took the indemnity I have no idea how often people get landed with container cleaning charge but for price of insurance didn't seem worth taking risk I would be the unlucky person whose container needed cleaning

We had John Mason round for a quote and he said £15-£25 indemnity but it was optional....

He explained by charging everyone that amount it works out if someone does gets pulled for cleaning all the £15-£25 payments cover it....

i thought it was very reasonable and a good idea.

we thought John mason was very professional and had some good advice....

they sent the quote out the day after they came out and it said in the letter they would contact us in a few days but they never got back to us....

Archived