is it worth bringing anything IF not bring furniture? (u.s to australia move)

emurivjae

We're planning to move with just a few suitcases as our furniture is all basically old/worthless/etc. But there are some things (like our vitamix) that is a heap of money and may not fit in the suitcase.

What kind of options are there for say a small container. I notice just shipping my toaster oven through the mail would cost $200-$400 (over it's value). So I am left thinking I'd better sell it and buy a new one in Australia once we get there.

But Is there any reasonable options for lumping everything into a very affordably priced moving container or pod of some sort? Company recommends? Would truly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

You can ship tea chest size boxes individually or in groups with companies like Seven Seas. They go by sea and take about 12 weeks. We shipped 4 this way. Wasn't expensive. We also used a large MoveCube. Check the Seven Seas website.

We also shipped an excess bag for £100 or so door to door UK - Aus. Was picked up day before we flew out, arrived the day after.

You don't want to send anything via the mail as air mail costs a fortune. If you ship anything non urgent, do so via sea.

Depends what 'anything' is.

You have personal effects surely? Clothes, personal items, a few books or some such perhaps?

We didn't ship much furniture but did ship all our personal effects from clothes to bedding, kitchen ware (it has taken me 20 plus years to build that up and I love my kitchen stuff), books, DVDs, CD's, kids toys, a few xmas decorations, ornaments, especially the ones with sentimental value, paperwork it was important to keep... it adds up. I'd not have moved if I was only arriving with a suitcase of clothes. The things I've gathered over my life are important to me in making home 'home'. I don't need everything but the core things were a no brainer to bring.

End of the day, its personal choice as to what you ship or don't ship. It will cost you to replace this side but depending on your budget, it can be as little or as much as you can afford. You can buy a toaster here for $20AUS. Same with a kettle. Will it be great quality and still working well a year or two in after daily use, different matter.

If you are coming from the US check the voltage aspect on US electrical items. Its different in Aus iirc.

Depends what 'anything' is.

You have personal effects surely? Clothes, personal items, a few books or some such perhaps?

We didn't ship much furniture but did ship all our personal effects from clothes to bedding, kitchen ware (it has taken me 20 plus years to build that up and I love my kitchen stuff), books, DVDs, CD's, kids toys, a few xmas decorations, ornaments, especially the ones with sentimental value, paperwork it was important to keep... it adds up. I'd not have moved if I was only arriving with a suitcase of clothes. The things I've gathered over my life are important to me in making home 'home'. I don't need everything but the core things were a no brainer to bring.

End of the day, its personal choice as to what you ship or don't ship. It will cost you to replace this side but depending on your budget, it can be as little or as much as you can afford. You can buy a toaster here for $20AUS. Same with a kettle. Will it be great quality and still working well a year or two in after daily use, different matter.

If you are coming from the US check the voltage aspect on US electrical items. Its different in Aus iirc.

definitely will add up, this is why I am looking into options like 7 seas and packmybag I just found too...I am certain we won't be able to fit it all into 4 suitcases. It's been quite awhile since I've flown and I'm sure they might freak out at some of the stuff I am thinking of jamming into my luggage. I am not sure on the restrictions yet, will look them up, but I could run into problems such as a blender might not even be allowed in luggage..

We're planning to move with just a few suitcases as our furniture is all basically old/worthless/etc. But there are some things (like our vitamix) that is a heap of money and may not fit in the suitcase.

What kind of options are there for say a small container. I notice just shipping my toaster oven through the mail would cost $200-$400 (over it's value). So I am left thinking I'd better sell it and buy a new one in Australia once we get there.

But Is there any reasonable options for lumping everything into a very affordably priced moving container or pod of some sort? Company recommends? Would truly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Bring anything that you particularly like or that's good quality.

Australia will have pretty much everything you'll need in one form or another but the choice is more limited than in Britain and probably even more so than in the US.

Australia is the lend of the great duopoly; just two main supermarket chains, two main department stores, two household store chains, two domestic car companies etc. so there's not the same choice, but people also tend to pretty much live outside more and are just not as interested in material things.

how about a company that has affordable containers? Similar to the college moving pod style. What is the starting cost for something like that? (I'm just barely starting my research on all this so sorry I'm a bit oblivious still)

A MoveCube is a UK option. You are in the US so would have to research the options open to you in your local area there.

Edited by Guest
edited