Electrical vetassess

sparky123

Hi All ,

Just joined tonight so I am sorry if this is posted in the wrong place !

I am sitting my electrical vetassess practical in London on Feb 25 th 2012 and I am a bit confused over the disconnect / reconnect process. I have the paperwork from Vetassess in front of me but I am unsure of the correct way to do it. It seems a bit all over the place . Can any electrician who has done it , give me a little guidance please ?

The part where it says determine the location of the appropriate protective device (do I find mcb , switch it off and then go to isolator switch at motor , open it and then put leads in proving unit then test cables etc to make sure they are dead , then reprove ......then when I know it's dead lock off mcb etc..put out signs ! it's just possible someone could switch the mcb back on when I go back to test it after first determining where the mcb is.

or do I find appropriate device , leave it switched on , then go back to isolator switch , open it up to make sure its already live before I then go back and isolate it ,prove unit , retest , lock off etc. It's just if I am assuming that it's in working order before I carry out test , whos to say that the circuit in question is already dead before I isolate it and it could be fed from somewhere else .

I don't know whether I am confusing myself or not with regards to this. I would really appreciate it if some bright spark whose already done it to shed some light on the subject for me .

Usually I would test for live etc , then isolate lock off , then test , then carry out work.

regards,

Gordon:biggrin:

Hi Gordon

Here with my husband who done the electrical vetassess in Belfast in 2011 and got on fine.

He said when he done it it was a faulty heater in an office that you had to disconnect/reconnect.

1st pretend your in a work environment where others are working & inform them that you will be switching out the power.

2nd isolate the device, lock off and tag and put signs around the device your testing.

(Keep checking test leads off a known live busbar, they want to see you keep checking your leads going from live to dead ... do this everytime you use them).

3rd perform tests on devise. Rectify problem.

Once problem rectified inform those around you that you will be powering back up.

Remove hold off and lock and power back up..

He thinks this more or less covers the steps....KEEP CHECKING YOUR TEST LEADS (NB)

Hope this helps some bit

regards

Mumof2

Hi , that's great and thanks for your help so far . When you say in part 3 / perform tests on device I take it your just checking insulation resistance to make sure there isn't a dead short across L to E or N to E ? if there is do you need to open up the heater and disconnect anything etc...

Sorry to be a pain It's just I don't want to fail having to fly from Glasgow to London for the test , staying in hotels etc....

kind regards ,

Gordon

That is correct. But when my husband done it there was no fault he just had to check insulation resistance....the examiner just wanted to see could you do the test.

There was a guy who had flown from Scotland to Belfast to do the Vetassessment - did you look into this to see if it works out cheaper