Retiring / semi retiring to Oz advice needed please.

Surfie

Hello

I am a new poster but have been using the forum to read useful information for a long time.

My husband is due to retire in July and we have been exploring the idea of moving to Australia (probably central east coast, being able to be flexible as we’re not tied to jobs). Our motives for moving are the climate (we are outdoors and beach loving) and hopefully better career prospects for our two teenage children (one currently at Uni here but prepared to transfer).

My main question is whether or not we could expect a similar quality of life to that in the UK given the exchange rate and that our income will largely be my husband’s pension which will be in the vicinity of £30,000. Health insurance is an important concern. We would expect to be mortgage free by selling our house here and buying one there for a similar amount. Not being tied to jobs, we don’t need to live in the expensive cities. I think that I would be able to get some work as a teacher but as I am also getting on in years this income won’t be for long.

I am an Australian citizen (used to live in Sydney) as are our two teenage children and I assume that my husband (of 20 years) would be eligible for citizenship.

Thanks for any guidance

SJ

Guest Guest31881

The first thing you need to do is start gathering the evidence and paperwork to get your husband a spouse visa. that can take a few months. He will not become a citizen he will be given a PR visa and after being in Australia for 4 years he will be allowed to apply for citizenship. get your children Australian passports if they do not already have them.

Your questions on how your pensions will manage you can only be answered nearer your move, as the exchange rate can and does vary greatly, and the state and area you would like to move to will also dictate your available choices. At the moment I would say your pension would be enough to live on, but not go over the top with.

Thank you for your reply. Yep my children and I have Oz passports.

I realise the exhange rate can vary considerable, I just wondered if it would be too optimistic on today's rates to expect to live as well as we could here on his pension. I am making a leap of faith that the exchange rate from our perspective won't be hugely worse in the future.

We're not looking for an improved standard of living in terms of what we can afford but we don't want to be struggling to live in a similar way as we would in the UK (near a beach, fairly comfortable, enjoying several sports). The climate and lifestyle will compensate for much.

Guest Guest31881

HI,

Two and a half years ago I planned my move to Australia in similar circumstances to yourselves. Before I got here the exchange rate started to fall, I am now $700 a month down on my original projected income, that is why I do not give opinions on income and exchange rates.... it can and does suddenly change. On your income you could be comfortable if just two of you. It will depend where you live and what you want. I live at Burrum Heads with my wife on less than your projected income and we live a good life, Hopefully the exchange rate will improve, But I have been saying that for 2 years now....:biggrin:

That's reassuring information, thanks again.

We'd have to support our children to start with but when I was living in Oz I had no problem finding holiday work to support myself when I was a student so I hope they would be able to contribute.

Did you find transferring your pension to Oz straightforward?

Guest Guest31881

i am on an NHS pension and it was quite simple, not yet on the state pension, One thing to remember is that the day you claim your UK state pension and it is paid to Australia, it is froze at that figure, and you get no annual increases. Increases are only paid if you live in certain countries, and Australia is not a country where you get increases.