Poms in UK

Guest Aldo

I'm looking forward to some friends and relos coming to visit in the new year but it has occured to me that some of them have done a bit of bird (spent time at Her Majesty's pleasure). Will they be able to come ?

Guest Ian&Lou

I dont see why not, after all they're not staying there for good. I cant remember being asked anything along those lines either when I was applying for my holiday visa.

I think it's going to be fine, but someone else might know for sure.

Lou

If you have a criminal record you cannot apply for a ETA, I had to apply for a paper visa from London, unless of course the record is not declared.

Jan

At some point during the application form there is a question asking if you have a criminal record, you cannot check on this site unless you pay first but I am sure if the question had not come up I would not of spent time and money applying for a different visa for a 10 day holiday.

I will try and find the visa details.

Jan

Have found the details, it was a visitor visa and I had to fill in form 48R. Dont know if the forms have changed since.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the link. Check out item 24 of the FAQ page :no:

24. What conditions apply to my ETA ?

The conditions applying to ETAs are:

• You hold an ETA-eligible passport.
  • You must be outside Australia to apply for an ETA.
  • Your visit to Australia is for:
    • Tourism,
    • Visiting relatives,
    • Business meetings, or
    • A convention or conference.

[*]You will not work in Australia.

[*]You will not stay in Australia for more than three months.

[*]You are in good health (including free from tuberculosis).

[*]You have no criminal convictions.

[*]You use the ETA within twelve months, or before the expiry date of your current passport (whichever comes first).

There's a reasonable chance that a serious criminal record (done time) will register at the border even if you've lied on the ETA. The reason I'm say that is because a TV program "Border Control" has featured various nationals getting caught trying to slip in.

Archived