Plumbing license question...please help!

AllanScott

Hi Everyone, my family and I have only moved to the Australian east coast just 6 months ago. We are on a permanent skilled migration visa (190). I am a Plumber and Gas Engineer in the UK but know that doesn't mean very much over here. I have started the application for my Qld plumbing & draining license but it is looking like a lot of studying and almost going back to an apprenticeship stage. I was hoping that someone may have been in a similar situation before and got there license a quicker way. I am not sure if it is possible to do your license in another state and have it transferred.

Any helpp or or advise would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

Allan

Hi Allan

We are in Perth and I know this may differ dependent on where your actually are. My OH is a UK qualified gas heating and plumbing engineer with over 20 years experience, as you say when we got here 4 years ago it meant nothing and he had to do (and pay) for all the courses. He has all his Australian tickets but didn't want to go back to Uni for a year so he could be self employed. We have subsequently brought another business (which does involve some plumbing) and he is loving it :-). It is the land of oppertunites and you just have to find what works for you and that can sometimes be something different to what you expected. Good luck.

Thank you for your response. It certainly does come down to what works for you. It seems unfortunate that plumbing is a difficult trade to get in to over here with all your UK qualifications not counting for much. My husband has started the license process but it will take time and money. It is hard that what you have back in the UK counts for nothing over here. How long did it take your OH to gain his open license. In Queensland there is such a demand from TAFE to get your tickets and sustain a life while doing it. What type of business do you have if you don't mind me asking. My husband has considered going over to WA to get his license and then have it transferred to a qld license.