Tasmania or mainland oz

Guest lynthepoet

Guest lynthepoet

Is it any harder to get into tasmania or the same as trying to get into perth etc if I am coming from the uk to work and live. please help lyn x

Guest Kim Hunter

Hi Lyn,

Immigration law is federal ie applies to all Australia, so requirements are Australia wide.

The good thing about Tassie is that it's regional, so you can get in there with less points if you need to.

What you need to do is get your qualifications and experience and then re-consider your options as things may be different in 1-2 years time.

PS: Tassie is absolutely beautiful, had my honeymoon there.

Cheers.

Guest lynthepoet

Kim can you find out the minimum english qualification in social work I would need to work in social work over there, as I am able to train here for 1/2 years in counselling which will give me qualifications but I need to know what will stand and what wont if you know what im trying to say. And if they will allow me to carry the training on over there in tas to become a qualified social worker? Kim if you can do this for me it would be a life saver for me and my little girl. thanks again Bird your a star on this site. x lyn

Guest Kim Hunter

Hi Lyn,

As from 1 September the minimum English will be 6 on all bands of IELTS for GSM, if licensing is required then may be 7 (not sure about social workers, but think they'll be 6). Tradies will be 5 from 1 Sept.

I'm copying below my post to you on another thread, just for reference:

Hi Lyn,

Unfortunately counsellors only score 50 points and youth workers only score 40 points for skill for permanent skilled migration.

If you REALLY want to migrate to Australia, then these are not the occupations to chose. My advice is for you to do some substantial research on how to maximise your points to migrate. Suggest you have a look at the MODL (migration occupation in demand list) search 'demand' on immi.gov.au. These occupations score 15 more points. As you are 35 you're scoring less and less points as you get older.

Sorry for the bad news, just didn't want you to finish your 2/3 years study and be disappointed, which you will.

Once you get PR you can then do counselling or youth work which I'm sure you love doing, but that's not going to get you here, sorry.

The problem for social work is that I'm pretty sure you'll need a degree, it's 12.08am over here so I really need to go to bed, pretty brain dead after a full day on migration issues. So yes you can study onshore but you'll probably have to do a degree and it will cost you a fortune as an overseas student, you may get some credit for previous study, but that's an issue you'll have to research.

I'll look up education requirements for social workers, in the morning and report asap.

Good night from Sydney,

Guest lynthepoet

Many thanks kim for that, see my degree course here is for 3 years and I was thinking if I did 1/2 years would the social work department over there would sponser me as to allow me to further the training to dedree level. As you can see I am trying so hard to find a way into your wonderful country so I can fulful my childhood dream. sweet dreams kim lyn

Guest Kim Hunter

HI Lyn,

Social work qualifications for Australia require a degree or higher qualification.

You can try and do part in UK and then get credit for some at an Australian uni, but as an overseas student it's going to cost you lots to do/finish degree onshore here.

You need to research this carefully, of course if money isn't an option I'd say study for your degree in Australia as you're eligible for exemption from recent work experience if you apply within 6m of finishing degree, past points test and have applied for PASA.

I know it all sounds very complicated, that's because it is. You need to thoroughly research this to give it your best chance.

Advice: if possible study your degree in Australia on student visa. If not possible then qualify in UK, work for 3 years as social worker then apply for PR. Also have to bear in mind point situation in 2n scenario.

Regards,

Guest lynthepoet

Thanks Kim, looks like I will have to do the course here then apply for a job in social work over there once qualified. But lets hope they need 38 year social workers or im stuffed. See if I only do 2 years training I will not have a degree but the level under it which I think wont help my cause at all. Kim you dont need a full time cleaner do you love lol. lyn x

Archived