Skill assessment Vs Employement assessment

Guest SatyamS

Guest SatyamS

Hi folks,

I have a couple questions, in fact doubts, with respect to skills/qualification assessment and employment assessment.

· Is it mandatory to get both the assessments or only skill/qualification assessment is sufficient. As per my agent, employment assessment is not compulsory but recommended. Pls suggest me should I go for both assessments or only skill assessment should suffice.

· In my case, the assessment body ICAA. I was wondering if they have access to ICAI database and enquire about my employment history.

· I have 4 years of experience after my qualification. 4 years experience required for applying VIC SS for my occupation (external auditor). I have 40 months experience (till date) as external auditor but first 8 months I have worked a research analyst in a equity research firm. I am not sure that this first 8 months falls under closely related experience or not. Shall I change my experience letter for this first 8 months as an external letter by obtaining a experience letter from a small audit firm. Otherwise I can apply with equity research experience and hoping that will be considered as closely related work experience. Another option is apply for WE SS, where I need to show 3 years experience as external auditor which I have very much. Pls suggest me.

· In case if I obtain a experience certificate from a local accounting firm, will ICAA come to know that by any chance?

· Can I show four year experience to VIC state and three years experience to DIAC. Will that create any problem later on?

Guys pls give me your valuable inputs I don’t want to mess up with half knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

It is not compulsory to get employment assessed, but it is highly recommended. We worked through an agent and also had ICAA assessment. Our agent said to just get both done as DIAC uses the recommendation from ICAA for your points. So I suggest you rather do it properly and get both done with them.

ICAA does not check up on your employment history as far as I know. You have to submit the evidence on a letterhead from the company and usually they consider that as legit. So I doubt that they will enquire from any database about your work experience. If you cannot give proof of employment they consider it as if you were never employed.

I'm not sure about your other questions. I would seriously consider using an agent. We had ENDLESS problems with our skills assessment which our agent told us was "straightforward" and it should've been easy to get our assessment without problems. However, remember we are still working with human beings who also make mistakes. Luckily going through an agent, the agent was able to sort it out as they don't really want to deal with the public. The agents carry a lot more weight with ICAA.