Nurses...AHPRA....Registration

Guest Heroni

Just wanted to let all the Nurses know what happened to me today when I called AHPRA, can't quite believe how efficient they were after all the problems I have had over the last few months with them!!

When I called, I requested to be put through to the Sydney office, where I had submitted all my paperwork mid August 2010. I asked how long it would take to register me, the lady got all my details up on the computer and said because I has telephoned them, my registration would be put to the front of the queue (not that I agree with this at all, as it is very unfair for all the other nurses who had applied before me) and that I should check on the AHPRA website at the end of the week as I should be registered by then.

Well within 5 mins of putting the phone down I had received an e-mail from AHPRA to say I had a user ID and password, logged on...and guess what...I was registered.

Also, I was informed by a Professional Officer in mid July, when I personally visited the Sydney office, that I needed to do the IELTS test to register (despite being educated in UK), I did the dreaded, awful IELTS on 31st July, got the marks needed. It has since been announced that nurses educated in English for their secondary education and the profession they are registering in do NOT need the IELTS as from 1st July 2010. I complained that I had been given the wrong information and was not happy that I had paid out $317 for a test I did not need to do. I was advised to put an official complaint into AHPRA and they may consider whether a refund will be offered. I very much doubt it, but I can but try!!

Good luck to all nurses out there trying to register. Maybe a call to AHPRA is the answer, or was I just very lucky??

That's excellent news, we have been watching and waiting to see what will happen with the whole IELTS issue. Is it the case then that you can apply for AHPRA registration whilst still in the UK before the visa applictaion so that when you do the visa application and the skills assesment with the ANMC you are then eligible for the modified assessment as you are by then registered with AHPRA? Thus you no longer have to do the IELTS if you can proove that you were educated in secondary education and tertiary education in English.

That's excellent news, we have been watching and waiting to see what will happen with the whole IELTS issue. Is it the case then that you can apply for AHPRA registration whilst still in the UK before the visa applictaion so that when you do the visa application and the skills assesment with the ANMC you are then eligible for the modified assessment as you are by then registered with AHPRA? Thus you no longer have to do the IELTS if you can proove that you were educated in secondary education and tertiary education in English.

That is what I am going to be doing. Been offered a job in Perth on a 121 so hopefully the reg. and modified assessment wont take to long. can't wait. just waiting on my dad sending me my school qualifications so I can prove my education is in English.....watch this space..will let you all know how I get on.

cheers. Colin

Archived