4 Wheel Drive or Car??????

carolinemc

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I do not know much about the area but looking at it on a map it may be advisable to have a 4x4 and I would think they would be cheaper in Perth than in a small town.

Have you registered with our sister site for WA, you may find members who live in the area on that site who could offer better advice. http://www.perthpoms.com/

Going to be living in Paraburdoo,Pilbara and just want to ask are we better off with a 2WD or a car? And are we better off buying up there or in Perth????

A small deviation..:wink: In 1971 a bloke drove his Jag Mark X from Perth to Para and ripped the sump out on a bit of a stoney section (dirt road in 1970s). Cost him a small fortune to have it transported to Para and had a 4 month wait for it to be fixed...and another small fortune; parts from UK etc.

More better you get 4wd, hey?

Cheers, Bobj.

Umm. Are you sure you know what you are letting yourself in for? I mean with regard to moving from Dublin to a little mining town in the outback?

Have a 'walk' around Paraburdoo on Google maps. There's very little there apart from one supermarket, one milk bar, one pharmacy, one bottle shop, one pub etc. Just the very basics really.

There are no big car dealerships, no nice cafes, no restaurants, no smart clothes shops. If you want a change of scene you have to drive for 80k and when you get there there's another small town with one supermarket, one milk bar, one pharmacy, one bottle shop, one pub etc.

I just wonder if you've done enough research - a place like Paraburdoo is the last place on earth most people would want to move 12000 miles across the world to live in. And didn't you say you'd be on a 457? And you plan to be there for 4 years? What happens if you don't like it?

I've been reading forums like this for many years and I've seen a few people be tempted by the 'adventure' of the outback. Most of them don't last 6 weeks. I'm not saying you'd be one of them but please do lots of research before you burn any bridges. :wink:

Edited by NickyNook

Umm. Are you sure you know what you are letting yourself in for? I mean with regard to moving from Dublin to a little mining town in the outback?

Have a 'walk' around Paraburdoo on Google maps. There's very little there apart from one supermarket, one milk bar, one pharmacy, one bottle shop, one pub etc. Just the very basics really.

There are no big car dealerships, no nice cafes, no restaurants, no smart clothes shops. If you want a change of scene you have to drive for 80k and when you get there there's another small town with one supermarket, one milk bar, one pharmacy, one bottle shop, one pub etc.

I just wonder if you've done enough research - a place like Paraburdoo is the last place on earth most people would want to move 12000 miles across the world to live in. And didn't you say you'd be on a 457? And you plan to be there for 4 years? What happens if you don't like it?

I've been reading forums like this for many years and I've seen a few people be tempted by the 'adventure' of the outback. Most of them don't last 6 weeks. I'm not saying you'd be one of them but please do lots of research before you burn any bridges. :wink:

I was thinking the same. I have spent a lot of time in the Pilbara, not Pararburdoo though, but can imagine exactly what it's like, all towns are the same up there. It is going to be a HUGE lifestyle change.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice and concerns. I know some people will think I'm nuts even considering moving to Paraburdoo but after many long talks,lots of research still doing some as you can tell by all my posts and lots,lots,lots of wine we have decided to go for it :yes:

Myself and my partner have both lost family members at very young ages (28yrs & 32yrs) and I guess I dont want to look back on a chance like this,and I dont mean just getting the visa quickly but the "experience" also. I once had an amazing opportunity to be a childrens nanny for the Kennedy family in America and turned it down because I thought I'd be too home sick!!! This is the one thing in my life I regret because I always think "what if" and I dont intend to think that again.

I know things there may be far from rosy at times,I'm preparing for the spiders,snakes & lizards,I know there is very little in the town(already been on Google maps checking it out :laugh:!)and I'm sure I'll have moments of "what the hell am I doing?" :confused:But I dont want to be a certain age and be waffling about what I could of seen/done. I believe in a "why not give it a try"approch to things (yes I know your all thinking this girl is nuts)but its just my way and I'm not a stubborn person so if I dont like it and believe I've made a mistake I'll say so but the way I'm lookin at it is one day at a time cause you just dont know what can happen in the future....

The other thing at the back of my mind is reading the posts of others that have seen and done some amazing things and again I think why can't we do it? We have 2 little girls and right now Ireland has nothing to offer them which kills me as this is their HOME country and I will ensure that where ever we are in the world they will always be proud to be Irish regardless how their country has done them over!:realmad:

Finally the company I'm with are based in Perth and have locations all over the Pilbara,Kimberleys,Fremantle,Perth and part of the Northern Territory. They have asked would I be willing to relocate nearer to Perth and already they have said they will be needing more staff in July so we could be on the move then but not banking on it ha ha :biglaugh:

I again thank you all for all your answers/advice/info on this thread and on all my many others (there is still alot more to come lol!) And also those of you who I have emailed privately and answered me with your honesty (which I truely appricate) but as we say in Ireland...Feck it we'll give it a shot!

So sorry its so long its just to give all you sane people an idea of where this crazy lady is coming from:cute:

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice and concerns. I know some people will think I'm nuts even considering moving to Paraburdoo but after many long talks,lots of research still doing some as you can tell by all my posts and lots,lots,lots of wine we have decided to go for it :yes:

Myself and my partner have both lost family members at very young ages (28yrs & 32yrs) and I guess I dont want to look back on a chance like this,and I dont mean just getting the visa quickly but the "experience" also. I once had an amazing opportunity to be a childrens nanny for the Kennedy family in America and turned it down because I thought I'd be too home sick!!! This is the one thing in my life I regret because I always think "what if" and I dont intend to think that again.

I know things there may be far from rosy at times,I'm preparing for the spiders,snakes & lizards,I know there is very little in the town(already been on Google maps checking it out :laugh:!)and I'm sure I'll have moments of "what the hell am I doing?" :confused:But I dont want to be a certain age and be waffling about what I could of seen/done. I believe in a "why not give it a try"approch to things (yes I know your all thinking this girl is nuts)but its just my way and I'm not a stubborn person so if I dont like it and believe I've made a mistake I'll say so but the way I'm lookin at it is one day at a time cause you just dont know what can happen in the future....

The other thing at the back of my mind is reading the posts of others that have seen and done some amazing things and again I think why can't we do it? We have 2 little girls and right now Ireland has nothing to offer them which kills me as this is their HOME country and I will ensure that where ever we are in the world they will always be proud to be Irish regardless how their country has done them over!:realmad:

Finally the company I'm with are based in Perth and have locations all over the Pilbara,Kimberleys,Fremantle,Perth and part of the Northern Territory. They have asked would I be willing to relocate nearer to Perth and already they have said they will be needing more staff in July so we could be on the move then but not banking on it ha ha :biglaugh:

I again thank you all for all your answers/advice/info on this thread and on all my many others (there is still alot more to come lol!) And also those of you who I have emailed privately and answered me with your honesty (which I truely appricate) but as we say in Ireland...Feck it we'll give it a shot!

So sorry its so long its just to give all you sane people an idea of where this crazy lady is coming from:cute:

Sláinte agus táinte! :smile: Go for it girl! I only regret not making hubbie make the move 12 years ago!!

We will go initially where the work is, hubbie wants to go to Victoria or South Australia. He's a wine buff/member of the local Vintners and wants to sample the products of the vineyards!!! :wink:

My Mam's family is from Dublin, where in the city are you from? :biggrin:

Ah very good well I'm glad he has his priorities right :biggrin:

I'm from the Northside of Dublin out near the airport,what about your mum? Are you hoping to get to Oz this year,all going well we will be off the first week in June :jiggy:

My Mam grew up in Malahide, Finglas and Phibsboro (?sp) then Raheny. Her Dad was from Howth and her Mam always said she was born within the 5 lamps!! (she was a bit of a snob :rolleyes: )

To answer your other Q, we hope to get there by the end of the year, fingers crossed. :biggrin: