Any electricians out there.

Guest lisaandnigel

Guest lisaandnigel

hi if there are any electricians that can help, we are looking to move to perth,but have heard that my hubbys elec qualifications are nothing over there,is this true and what would he need to do.

thanks lisa

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ron & Chel

yep sorry to say it but they will mean nothing, we got through the tra on a 136 two weeks b4 they closed path d i think it was so i have to re train when we go to get my liscence

• 1 month later...
Guest naths28
hi if there are any electricians that can help, we are looking to move to perth,but have heard that my hubbys elec qualifications are nothing over there,is this true and what would he need to do.

thanks lisa

hi,any luck on finding out what your husband needs to do to work as a sparky out in oz??

me and my girlfriend are looking to go out there in july,im a sparky and im looking for any info i can get on the subject???

many thanks,nathan.

Guest OUTATIME

Hi. Yes you are correct that you are a no body without being blunt. I am an electrician and emigrated last august and i have still not got my licenece but i am now jumping through the australian hoops hoping one day to be recognised as a electricain again. If you require any information please ask and i will do my best to help as i would not wish anyone to come to australia and not be prepared like myself.:arghh:

Hi guys, im a spark working in Cairns.

Came here last June with the girlfriend and all i can say is getting the licence is as much of a nightmare as you want to make it. The system has changed a little since i came out as VETASS or somthing like that have taken over from the TRA. From what i understand you apply to them to have your qualifications checked then do written and practical exams. If you pass that stage and get your visa you can arrive in Oz with a permit to work.

Its not over yet, your back to square one. Now this is where there are many routes i have found to getting your licence. Go to tafe(college) and do the course whch can turn into a long drawn out job, fly to SA and do the 3 week regs course and thats it and get your licence transferd to the state you want to live in. I have gone down the route of doing it via distance learning. No college to go to, its all done in your own time. The downside is you will need a job to do it. I struck lucky and got a job the day i got here. All i have to do is fill a log book in with a brief note on the job i have done for the day and do a course along side. All i can say is it has been pretty painless up to now. Iv nearly finished, a couple of weeks and it should be all over. The time it takes is down to you and how quick you want to get it.

Little bit of advice i would give is as soon as you get here get of your arse and go round all the sparky firms tell them what you can do, offer to work a week for free if you have to.

I had no holiday at all when i arrived, its very easy to fall into that trap but youve the rest of your lives to do that. Things arnt handed to you on a plate when you get here you have to go get them. I dont see why people moan about having to go to tafe to get the licence, at the end of the day standards and everything are different out here belive me!

Hope that hasnt put anyone off, like i said its as hard as you want it to be!!!!

Stu

Guest naths28

thanks stu for that encouragment,i have no doubt it will be hard getting things sorted,,,but worth it in the long run.i will def get off my arse when i get there and look for work..

cheers,nathan.:notworthy:

thanks stu for that encouragment,i have no doubt it will be hard getting things sorted,,,but worth it in the long run.i will def get off my arse when i get there and look for work..

cheers,nathan.:notworthy:

No worries mate, you here so many negative things on these forums. Belive me its not as bad as people make out when you get here but you have to be prepared to to do a little.

I can only speak for Cairns and have a mate down the gold coast and its boom times out here. Work all over.

Good luck:)

Stu

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi. Yes you are correct that you are a no body without being blunt. I am an electrician and emigrated last august and i have still not got my licenece but i am now jumping through the australian hoops hoping one day to be recognised as a electricain again. If you require any information please ask and i will do my best to help as i would not wish anyone to come to australia and not be prepared like myself.:arghh:

hi thanks for that information, can you still work as an electrician under someone else or is that allowed either.

Hi Hubby is a sparky and has gone through the new Vetassess which you do before applying for a skilled visa 175. Go to VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services which should give info on the process. We passed in December so any questions feel free to pm us. Good Luck.

thanks lisa

hi there!! just started all the process of emigrating and looked on the site Poms in Perth - Home. there are loads of electricians on that site who explain the whole procedure. it doesent sound that bad, no-one has posted any nightmare experiences and there is supposed to be loads of work there.

good luck mate hope to see you there

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lisaandnigel

help!

trying to find answers for how to start the process to get electrical licence is proving very hard. can anyone help please please.

i have looked on energy saftey site but still cant get answers.

need to now if can apply to do it now while still in england.

any info would be great?

help!

trying to find answers for how to start the process to get electrical licence is proving very hard. can anyone help please please.

i have looked on energy saftey site but still cant get answers.

need to now if can apply to do it now while still in england.

any info would be great?

The only thing you can do in england is apply for the ARTC and the result for that has to be sent to an OZ address, they will not send it to england. I sent my ARTC application off around a month before we left and the result was sent to a mate in Cairns ready for when we arrived.

The ARTC is the biggest hurdle you need to pass so put plwnty of work into it to make sure you dont fail. Fail and you wont be working in oz as a spark, not legally anyway.

You could also get yourself a copy of the regulations aswell to get an idea of whats what, a new edition has just been released!

Stu

Guest leanneandmark

Although Mark is being in assessed by TRA as a general comms person, (radio, copper and fibre) he is planning on doing a 3 wk course to get his City and guilds 17th edition and part P (is that right:wacko:) before we leave.

Is it gonna be feasible for him to get a licence once in oz or does he need to have exp, or passed skills assessment as a sparky???

We are heading to Adelaide and it looks like there is little or no work in his current field.

Guest lisaandnigel
The only thing you can do in england is apply for the ARTC and the result for that has to be sent to an OZ address, they will not send it to england. I sent my ARTC application off around a month before we left and the result was sent to a mate in Cairns ready for when we arrived.

The ARTC is the biggest hurdle you need to pass so put plwnty of work into it to make sure you dont fail. Fail and you wont be working in oz as a spark, not legally anyway.

You could also get yourself a copy of the regulations aswell to get an idea of whats what, a new edition has just been released!

Stu

thanks for that stu , is a great help somewhere to start , we will get to work with it.

lisa+nigel

Although Mark is being in assessed by TRA as a general comms person, (radio, copper and fibre) he is planning on doing a 3 wk course to get his City and guilds 17th edition and part P (is that right:wacko:) before we leave.

Is it gonna be feasible for him to get a licence once in oz or does he need to have exp, or passed skills assessment as a sparky???

We are heading to Adelaide and it looks like there is little or no work in his current field.

hi mark

i wouldnt bother doing anymore courses because once you get there they are worthless save your cash!!!!!

Guest Lightening

Hi guys

Can anyone help me? I am in the process of totally changing my life and have decided I want to become and electrician. Its something I have always wanted to do? I am starting from scratch and was wondering if anyone could suggest any ideas what to do. I have been looking to study in the NSW or SA areas and I am a little confused on which courses I could take.

Thanks Adam.

Guest tracywilson

Hi my hubby is an electrician, he got a temp licence first so can work with electricians as a ftter and is now at Tafe . Its a 12 weeks course two evenings a week and his employer paid for it!. Its really not hard. You can emigrate here as an electrician but cant practice fully unsupervised thats all.

regards

lovin the weather

tracy

I think it may depend what qualification you have? My hb is electrician and he's been told his are good and wont need to re-train, only just to know the different standards they use over there. He has a city & guilds not sure of the number 2360 or 2391 something like that and also his 16th edition and testing and inspecting and apparantly these are fine. What have you got?

Guest lisaandnigel
I think it may depend what qualification you have? My hb is electrician and he's been told his are good and wont need to re-train, only just to know the different standards they use over there. He has a city & guilds not sure of the number 2360 or 2391 something like that and also his 16th edition and testing and inspecting and apparantly these are fine. What have you got?

hi shaza

where have you got that information from, i havent heard that before, by oh has 2360 and just done his 2391 testing and inspecting

lisa

Guest lisaandnigel

hi can you help, i have just heard that if you have city and guilds 2360 and 2391 testing and inspecting that it is ok still in oz . we have passed tra on oh being hairdresser so that ok.

would be gratful for your help thanks nigel

hi waiting for visa at the moment and was hoping to purchase the books i will need. so i can start studying them, can you advise which books i need. friends will be visiting Perth in march and i was hope they could bring them back or are there available on the web.

Cheers Geegriff

Hi. Just spoke to hb to get my facts right, I have a tendency to get it all wrong ha ha!! and yer its right, he has 2360 and 2391 and our agent said he will only have to do a competance test which is basically like a re-test of the last exam he did. No actual studying. Its basically to show you know you're stuff. As long as you have 16th edition its all cool.

:jiggy:

Guest lisaandnigel
Hi. Just spoke to hb to get my facts right, I have a tendency to get it all wrong ha ha!! and yer its right, he has 2360 and 2391 and our agent said he will only have to do a competance test which is basically like a re-test of the last exam he did. No actual studying. Its basically to show you know you're stuff. As long as you have 16th edition its all cool.

:jiggy:

oh ok, does that give him an electrician licence

lisa

Archived