You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

Should students be able to grade teachers?

I am sure we have all had teachers who we can't understand, are easily walked over by other students etc, whose teaching methods are rubbish. Should students and teachers be able to grade their teachers or would it be open to abuse? I understand if a full class kept failing eventually the poor teaching methods would be looked at but sometimes it's too late for some students.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest guest36187

I do a lot of teaching in my new role now. As part of the training session, I have an evaluation form that I ask everyone to do about me. Those evaluations are combined in a report about each session and feedback given to the trainer. I think it is valuable!

I do a lot of teaching in my new role now. As part of the training session, I have an evaluation form that I ask everyone to do about me. Those evaluations are combined in a report about each session and feedback given to the trainer. I think it is valuable!
So do these reports come direct to you or to a higher body?

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

yeah an evaluation form would be good! I've always had them when training for work but never in school, so that would be a good idea, I had some awful teachers in the past!

I am sure we have all had teachers who we can't understand, are easily walked over by other students etc, whose teaching methods are rubbish. Should students and teachers be able to grade their teachers or would it be open to abuse? I understand if a full class kept failing eventually the poor teaching methods would be looked at but sometimes it's too late for some students.

they can they are called SELTS student evaluation of learning and teaching and at Mrs GT's Uni Adelaide they are taken seriously....back in the day when I went and worked they never had such things but with the advent of transparency and accountability thanks in part to global business collapses like Enron, World Com et al. it has spilled over...hope that helps.. Love your posts..I actually get to sound arf way intelligent like :biglaugh: On that note more cadburys mini easter eggs...reward for oneself before the gym..

Guest AKA63029

As you rightly point out Kate, in a perfect world this would be a good idea, but you know what some kids are like, and dare I say, 'nowadays'. I would hate to see a good teacher lambasted for the tiniest of reasons.

I know when I was a kid I would have reported EVERY teacher with the words:

'Doesn't let me talk about fishing to my best mate whilst in class'.:embarrassed:

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029

Also it could be open to abuse.

My SIL (well I say SIL, but she is barely human) is a teacher (or rather head teacher as she KEEPS telling everyone).

I would willingly bribe every kid in her school to 'comment' on her.:laugh:

Guest guest36187

Reports go to my manager who then formulates an evaluation report. I get a copy of that and verbal-feedback.