Guest Mike 1978

Teaching in OZ?

Guest Mike 1978

We are considering moving to either Perth or Adelaide, however, where and if is dependent on whether there are any teaching jobs available. I am currently Head of Humanities so I can teach any of those subjects plus PE. I know that I can get a VISA for a secondary school teacher, but I would be interested in peoples experiences of finding work so as to gave me some idea of the nature of this process. I have read some horror stories of teachers moving to OZ and finding it quite hard to find a teaching job, either supply or permanent. Is this still the case?

Hi Mike - teaching jobs vary according to location and subject. Generally speaking teaching in the desirable areas is much more difficult to come by and casual work tends to be in the less desirable areas. Secondary subjects are more in demand than primary and male teachers are always going to be better off than females. Check out www.teachers.on.net it will give you a rough idea of availability in your preferred areas. The dept of Ed websites in your state also have jobfeeds which may be worth a look. If you are going to make the move get your CV done beforehand as this will save you time. Good Luck!

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au

Plenty of teachers in the places that people want to live. If you fancy the urban beach life then forget it for teaching but if you dont mind going out to the back of beyond and teaching in a place that no one else wants to live then you should pick up a position. In your position I'd be taking a career break to make sure that you have something to fall back on in case you dont get a permanent position in Australia. Humanities and PE wouldnt really be in high demand unfortunately and as a "senior" teacher, you will be less desirable to a school which is counting their pennies, than a new graduate (go figure!!!). You could try an exchange in the first instance, I think there are still Aus/UK exchange programs where you basically swap your lives - home, job, car etc