Guest nearlyarockstar

Partner VISA Statement- help needed!

Guest nearlyarockstar

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post so be gentle with me! Firstly, a quick bit of background- My wife is from Perth, WA and moved over to the UK about 9 years ago. We've been together for 7 years now and got married in Perth in October 2011. I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice on what level of detail is needed for my statement? The official site states:

Evidence of a Genuine and Continuing Relationship You and your partner must each provide a statement or statutory declaration regarding the history of your relationship, including:

• how, when and where you first met
  • how your relationship developed
  • when you decided to marry or to start a de facto relationship
  • your domestic arrangements (how you support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began)
  • any periods of separation (when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation)
  • your future plans.

I have followed this guide but without knowing how much depth/detail is expected I'm concerned my statement will be laughed out the office and my VISA deposited in the nearest bin! At the moment my statement is about 300 words long. If anyone has had a partner VISA accepted I would really appreciate some assistance. Kind Regards, paul

Hi there, you have to write a statement each, and ours were very different. Mine was more of a timeline, including the important dates, meeting, holidays, moving in together, wedding, kids, why we want to head over etc. I think it was about three pages...

My OH was a completely different format, and more him just 'talking' about our situation and how we got where we are now. bit of humor, just the way he talks really.

He decided not to read mine before writing his, so they weren't too simular, but we did compare them afterwards as they had some date discrepancies... which were eventually solved!!!

good luck, don't stress too much, I always think if the relationship is genuine then you won't have any problems!

haha they won't chuck you in the bin!! I haven't been in this position but other posters have made suggestions- any utility bills which show you have had the same address- obv any joint accounts/rent/mortgage/loans/club membership/ any correspondence between the two of you (you can even copy anni/birthday cards) - photos roughly dated (they'll be able to see you've aged together lol!) the wedding photos should clinch it anyway along with your statement.

I'm sure someon who's been through it will come pop in & reassure you & add any other relevant bits but this should keep you busy for the next few hours :cool:

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post so be gentle with me! Firstly, a quick bit of background- My wife is from Perth, WA and moved over to the UK about 9 years ago. We've been together for 7 years now and got married in Perth in October 2011. I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice on what level of detail is needed for my statement? The official site states: I have followed this guide but without knowing how much depth/detail is expected I'm concerned my statement will be laughed out the office and my VISA deposited in the nearest bin! At the moment my statement is about 300 words long. If anyone has had a partner VISA accepted I would really appreciate some assistance. Kind Regards, paul

I wrote mine as if I was writing to an old friend who I hadn't seen for a while, it ended up turning into an essay of four pages. My partners was a page and a half and just stated dates and brief details! Our visa hasn't been granted yet but we've been told it will be in Mid August.

Good luck, it's not as bad as it appears once you get going :D

ours were a page and a half. mine was almost bullet point type. i.e we met here, went there, moved in together, got engaged on this date, married on that date, I love her etc etc. I can only suggest - don't over think it.

My good lady and I had been together 11 odd years when we applied and I took the opinion that if they didn't think the relationship was genuine after that length of time then they could stick the visa.

With 9 years together I reckon not much weight is placed on a self written document that quite frankly anyone can make it up. I think things like that are more for high risk countries but it is used in all partner visa applications.

Best of Luck

made the move, living the dream, happy families and happy days ....

Guest nearlyarockstar

Thanks for all the replies! I think I am stressing too much ;)