Born in the UK - will it welcome me back?

Guest Polly Kate

Guest Polly Kate

Hi all. I would love to get your thoughts and advice on my situation. I was born in the UK but have lived outside it all my life in an English family which has maintained a strong connection with the English way of doing things. My family moved to Oz when I was ten. Despite having had a good life here, and two Australian kids and a (British) husband who don't see themselves living anywhere else, I have never felt I belong in this country and long to move to England. I have visited the UK over and over again and each time I go there I feel a deep sense of happiness and belonging which I never get anywhere else. It has been great reading the posts on this forum and finding so many other people who understand how deeply unsettling it is to feel that you are living in the wrong place and leading a half life. The longing to move is getting stronger and stronger and I have decided to follow my heart before it is too late. My dream is to find a small house with a garden (with a cat or two!), either in a market town or somewhere near the sea. The reality of my family situation means I am likely to be moving either towards the end of my career or when I retire at age 55 (in five years time). I have a UK passport so believe I am free to make the choice to return, but am finding it hard to find information about how I would stand in terms of access to health care, tax etc etc. I will be financially self sufficient and assume I would need to meet the cost of health care and other social services, at least for a certain period. Can anyone recommend good information sources on that? It would be great to hear from others in this situation and find out how you got on. Was it easy to make friends? Can you suggest good ways to make connections and fit in? I am a senior civil servant here and one of the things I would like to do is volunteer work. I'd love to hear about your experiences and get your ideas. Thank you. Polly-Katie.:animal-cat:

Hello Polly. welcome to poms in oz. theres a good website called directgov.com which will tell you all about tax's and other useful things about the uk. Which part of the UK do you want to move to? It shouldnt be any more difficult to make friends here than it is in australia, just be friendly and try and join a club or be chatty with your neighbours etc. It might take a while but im sure you'll be fine and also volunteer work is a really good way of making friends so that should definitely help since you want to do that anyway. You'll have no problem finding somewhere to volunteer! Hopefully someone who has been in a similar situation will be able to come along and help but just thought i'd welcome you to the forum :wubclub:

any other questions then please ask.

take care

Guest Polly Kate

Thanks for your kind reply and welcome, Stacey. If everyone is a friendly as you I'm sure I'll be just fine! Not sure which part I want to move to you yet, but like Hampshire, Somerset and Devon. However, I have enjoyed visits to many other areas and also have family ties to Suffolk and the North, so don't rule out any location at the moment, except for really big cities. Regards. Polly.

Thanks for your kind reply and welcome, Stacey. If everyone is a friendly as you I'm sure I'll be just fine! Not sure which part I want to move to you yet, but like Hampshire, Somerset and Devon. However, I have enjoyed visits to many other areas and also have family ties to Suffolk and the North, so don't rule out any location at the moment, except for really big cities. Regards. Polly.

aaah its just us scots that are so friendly lol only joking. Im sure you'll be fine! devon and somerset sound lovely! i've always wanted to go down to devon.

Best of luck with it all. If i can think of any other websites that will help then i'll let you know! but im sure there will be a few other people who will come along and help. One member that sticks in my mind that could help is Quoll, she's recently moved back to the UK from a very long time in australia so she'd be a good member to contact

It seems you have dual nationality and all you will have to do is get a national insurance number, join the NHS , then bobs your uncle essentially. You shouldn't have to pay anything beczse of the recripical agreement between Oz and the UK. Then comes the rental - buyng a house etc etc and opening a bank account but it is no more more difficult than doing it it Oz.

By the sea side I can only suggest - from experience - Poole - Sandbanks.. only the best will do ...

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Welcome to PIO,

You will need to get a "National Insurance" Number, as you were born in the UK you probably have one and will only need to find out what it is. If you inform the Income tax you are back in the UK they will probably send you some paperwork and your NI number will be on that or you can phone the different tax departments who will advise you of your number.

You will have to convince your GP that you are now permanent resident in the UK and not just visiting and they should just accept you into their practice.

Ambulance cover and emergency treatment is free for anyone in the UK so that will be fine.

Obviously you are not entitled to a UK state pension in your own right as you have not made any payments into the scheme. However if your husband is entitled to a UK pension then you could qualify for something on the fact that he has paid into the scheme, that is something to check when you get within a couple of years of state retirement age.

Guest Polly Kate

I was born in Liverpool, so am particularly pleased to have received a welcome and "like" from you! Visited Liverpool with my father, who grew up there, and he was amazed at how much it had changed since he was a child. Met some of the friendliest people in that city - really enjoyed the visit.

Guest liverpoolollie
I was born in Liverpool, so am particularly pleased to have received a welcome and "like" from you! Visited Liverpool with my father, who grew up there, and he was amazed at how much it had changed since he was a child. Met some of the friendliest people in that city - really enjoyed the visit.

great stuff polly kate .

had it changed for the better in your fathers eyes?

Guest Polly Kate
It seems you have dual nationality and all you will have to do is get a national insurance number, join the NHS , then bobs your uncle essentially. You shouldn't have to pay anything beczse of the recripical agreement between Oz and the UK. Then comes the rental - buyng a house etc etc and opening a bank account but it is no more more difficult than doing it it Oz.

By the sea side I can only suggest - from experience - Poole - Sandbanks.. only the best will do ...

Just looked up Poole and Sandbanks - they both look/sound charming! Have to confess, some of my impressions of places have been gained from (too much) viewing of Grand Designs. Sadly I expect I will be seeking rather more modest accommodation than anything shown in that program. A small house and garden will be just fine.

I have heard it is quite difficult to get registered with a GP - it's a very different system to ours where you can basically see anyone you like, only limited by the fact that there is a general shortage of GPs in many places, which means some practices have closed their books and won't take on new patients.

Guest Polly Kate
great stuff polly kate .

had it changed for the better in your fathers eyes?

Yes and no - he was sad that there was so little going on on the river (no ship building) - that was a really big thing. However, he got a kick out of seeing how nice the buildings looked now many of them have been restored and the black grime that he remembered from the days of coal fires has been cleaned off, plus was impressed by the new developments and galleries etc, which we enjoyed visiting. Heaps of students - had a really nice vibe.

Re national insurance number. You may not have one if you left the uk aged 10 but it's really easy to set up and get one.

GP's surgeries can usually take on new patients fine. You register with a GP at the practice but the reality is you don't always see that GP and will often see others, especially at short notice appointments. You may be getting confused with dentists. BHS dentists can be hard to come by in many areas. But we've had no problems moving 3 times in 5 years.

Somerset and Devon are lovely but very expensive for cosy cottages etc. Norfolk would be cheaper I'd say for that sort of property. Or further up north.

:)

What an adventure in prospect for you!

Yes, you will be welcomed back! I just didnt return from my last holiday and have had no trouble getting established here in UK (even got a bus pass LOL). The sense of belonging is precious! You wont know yourself when you are settled here!

What an adventure in prospect for you!

Yes, you will be welcomed back! I just didnt return from my last holiday and have had no trouble getting established here in UK (even got a bus pass LOL). The sense of belonging is precious! You wont know yourself when you are settled here!

I have to say quoll...you always put a smile on my face...i love reading your posts...:cute:

All have beautiful areas ......down to Devon ( croyde bay ) next week for easter ......that is "gods country" .....green fields ....the ocean ....thatched cottages ....the village pubs .......BRING IT ON

I wonder if the OP would have entitlement to the basic pension being a Britiah citizen after a qualifying period? Since Australia scrapped the Social Security Agreement with UK some years back now,am never sure how it works.

As for place Northumberland has wonderful beaches and countryside but can't help thinking that the weather could be difficult to cope with for a person that has for all intents and purposes lived their entire life in Austalia.

A lady on another forun recently returned after from memory 51 years in Adelaide and after a lot of seaching has bought a place in Torquay. Dorset is nice but Poole and Sandbanks are expensive.

Then again coming from Australia with our very inflated housing market what is expensive these days? Of course the exchange rate will likely never prove better.

Hope you find something really nice. Take your time and don't be rushed. Oh and look carefully into costs beside purchase price. Some areas council tax is way high.

Guest liverpoolollie
Yes and no - he was sad that there was so little going on on the river (no ship building) - that was a really big thing. However, he got a kick out of seeing how nice the buildings looked now many of them have been restored and the black grime that he remembered from the days of coal fires has been cleaned off, plus was impressed by the new developments and galleries etc, which we enjoyed visiting. Heaps of students - had a really nice vibe.

i know ,the ship building has died a death.

if you ever get the chance watch <boys from the blackstuff>,then you will really get a feel for how much the docks and city centre has changed for the better.

Guest Polly Kate

Thanks everyone for the continued suggestions and advice. I hadn't thought of some of the places you have mentioned. The next time I go on holiday I plan to start checking them out. That way I'll get some more information and get to see some fabulous places at the same time. Or perhaps not come back at all...

The weather is a consideration, I agree. I don't expect to miss the heat at all (I hate it) but living here you do get used to the constant presence of a big, bright sun in a clear blue sky, even on very cold days. I think I'd miss that. And maybe the birds we have here. Not much else though. Fortunately I'm a vegetarian so there won't be any issues with the sausages :-)

The south west is pricey property wise. But it does fair better weather wise usually. However, it's still been cold here in winter, -10C winter 10-11.

You can find reasonable priced property though it may not be in such a desirable town or area.

Taunton is a good market town and not far from the Quantock hills and a stunning north coast. But you will need a car to access it all as the buses are dire, expensive and take double the time. Minehead is ok on the coast and has some stunning countryside on its doorstep. Some of the villages outside it are far nicer though.

Tiverton is mid Devon and not far from Exmoor. Dulverton is lovely, small Exmoor town. I lived rural Not far from there for many years. Bampton is a lovely little town.

South Devon never appeals as its chock full of tourists in the summer and very pricey. My parents live that way and when I visit I'm always happy to leave the area behind. I'd never live there again but many people like to retire that way.

Tavistock is worth a peek. On the doorstep of Dartmoor, bit pricey but market town.