Back in the UK watching Pomz in Paradise

Black Country lad

I am somewhat amazed sat here in the UK, taking a break watching Pomz In Paradise on ITV1, no wonder there are so many disillusioned people both in Oz and the UK?

Did you know that Oz has 340 days of sunshine? I want to move there, where is this place called Oz!!

I understand that the TV stations need ratings but for Christ sake tell the truth and don't lead people to believe something that is not true!! or is it right to market a dream that may be destined for failure if migrants arrive expecting exactly what the TV/Media portrays?

I am somewhat amazed sat here in the UK, taking a break watching Pomz In Paradise on ITV1, no wonder there are so many disillusioned people both in Oz and the UK?

Did you know that Oz has 340 days of sunshine? I want to move there, where is this place called Oz!!

I understand that the TV stations need ratings but for Christ sake tell the truth and don't lead people to believe something that is not true!! or is it right to market a dream that may be destined for failure if migrants arrive expecting exactly what the TV/Media portrays?

oh when was that on? I've missed it- still we've been having some great Black Country weather lately- can't complain..well we could but.......

Edited by Freesia

Guest The Ropey HOFF

That definately doesn't add up mate, somone said they have 340 days of rain, who do believe? Lol

It's at the end of the yellow brick road, mate! No visa required, just click your heels together and bingo!

I think they were talking about Sydney not the whole country. However were they talking in hours or just days its rained? Because if it's hours then totally believable as surely 600 hours is a lot of rain whereas 25 days where it has rained at some point not a lot!

Guest john76

Yes if these shows would go into a bot more detail, let's say start following a family from the very start of the process, from deciding to go to Australia, then of course deciding which part, maybe they would like to throw in the stresses and arguments the visa process will undoubtedly cause, then the turmoil of telling family and loved ones, even when all that's done if your like us you have the mammoth flight made worse by our grumpy 2 year old, just to be greeted by either people looking on in disgust as we tried to keep him amused and then the flight delays, all this and we aren't even in the promised land yet, when we arrived we were given hospital accommodation it was basic but very well received and it helped, my oh had a couple of weeks till she started in that time we had to sort a car, a home and furnish it, we had meetings with banks, driver licence offices etc etc we had to sort everything as I say from a mobile phone to a home in 2 weeks while trying to get used to a new country, currency, way of life etc etc, and all this with a jet lagged 2 year old, that all said we are very happy here and glad we made the decision to come but it isn't all rosy there are tears, tantrums and hussy fits and that was just my oh lol, you can make a life here, and make this your paradise but nobody meets you at the airport and just gives you it you have to work hard just like anywhere else, this great site we are all on is far more relevant and useful than any crap on tv so if there is anyone thinking of the move ask your questions on this site and please don't go by what a biased tv program has told you, bye for now, sorry for the eye test.

It's a trick by the Oz govt - lul the dopey people into thinking there is 340 days of sunshine and those who believe it, think of nothing else get there after spending thousands on visas and no research , they will leave quickly after using no services and paying a bit of tax - who is the winner ????? the Govt and local businesses...... win win really, less dopey people thinking it is nothing but sunshine - IT IS TV PEOPLE IT IS NOT REAL.... IT RAINS AND SNOWS IN SOME PARTS.... THINK ABOUT IT FOR JUST A MINUTE

Guest guest66832

As much as I love Australia and Sydney in Particular, I did have to smile when I heard that it had 340 days of sunshine a year.

Having said that, when I lived in Perth, one of the newspapers ran a whole front page story, accompanied with photo, of a cloud over the city. I kid you not and I wish that I had kept the page. It wasn't a small local paper either. I guess a cloud over Perth is big news, so maybe Perth has 340 days of sun and Sydney was just stealing its thunder.

Guest se123
As much as I love Australia and Sydney in Particular, I did have to smile when I heard that it had 340 days of sunshine a year.

Having said that, when I lived in Perth, one of the newspapers ran a whole front page story, accompanied with photo, of a cloud over the city. I kid you not and I wish that I had kept the page. It wasn't a small local paper either. I guess a cloud over Perth is big news, so maybe Perth has 340 days of sun and Sydney was just stealing its thunder.

Was it an ash cloud? Or just a regular cloud?

Well in Brisbane yesterday we had a day of mostly sunshine punctuated with a deluge of very heavy rain in which I got a major soaking - so does that make it a day of sun or rain?! Heehee :tongue:

I think that counts as both - how else do you think you can get claims of 340 days of sunshine and 340 days of rain? Isn't it better to get all your rain in one deluge and have blue skies the rest of the day? Beats 24 hours of grey skies and drizzle.

Friendliest people in the U.K in the " black country " .......was with a mate of mine from wolverhampton on friday night .....he was telling me he was at a black tie do at the Wolves a while back ..... his table of 10 were some seriously wealthy locals ( i wont name drop, and iam talking personal fortunes in the 100s of millions ) :biglaugh:......no side on any of them .....no b...**** .....just a great craic .......i have a few stories like that ......GREAT PEOPLE

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Just watched the show and I thought it was great, I don't care if it doesn't show the warts, n all version of Australia, I like that about it, it looked like the Australia that I saw in my two months of travelling around, I thought it was just like they portrayed and but then again I had my rose tinted specs on. Can't wait for the next positive show and it might be a ploy to get Brits to Oz to fill the skills shortage, but WDU has changed its show to try to put folk hoff with false information and showing crap houses, when there's nice ones at the same price, so it evens it out a bit, in my opinion.

Dont watch ANY shows about Aus at all tbh,DID watch WDU a few times in the past but i'd sooner get over there and make my own mind up

same here, i watched two episodes of wanted down under and one of the relocation down under with big phil. i preferred big phils show. Everybody says WDU gives you the rose tinted glasses blah blah, but it actually just put me off. I could tell it was SO fake, showing people houses they knew they couldnt afford and those family videos just depressed me. I dont think i'd have any family begging me to come back, they're all desperate for me to go lol :laugh:

same here, i watched two episodes of wanted down under and one of the relocation down under with big phil. i preferred big phils show. Everybody says WDU gives you the rose tinted glasses blah blah, but it actually just put me off. I could tell it was SO fake, showing people houses they knew they couldnt afford and those family videos just depressed me. I dont think i'd have any family begging me to come back, they're all desperate for me to go lol :laugh:

I do watch WDU but take everything with a pinch of salt, I think it's crazy that some of them who have never visited want to buy as soon they set foot in the country. Personally I would rent first but maybe that's just me. Anyhoo, Phil's show is much more realistic I think and I watch it too. I like to watch these aussie shows but they don't pursuade or dissuade me, I just watch for what they are.

i always liked phil's show too. the episodes that i saw anyway. I like the revisited shows to see how they got on. The houses are always gorgeous but i know i'd never be able to afford anything like that, unless i pimped dave out to the mines 24/7 lol. If you take everything with a pinch of salt then its fine to watch

Yeah, Perth....Fed up with it need rain!

Same here in Adelaide it was 33.6c in real money thats 93f....its supposed to be Autumn.....they can keep it give me some cold PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!! 19c forecast on Sunday....and the AC is on the fritz.....do those with rose coloured blinders on not specs have any idea .......this is worse that Colorado 300 days...hell definitely 340 here in Adelaide the days when it is cloudy and cool I wont say cold thats relative that means a summer day in the UK a balmy 16c is cool thats 61f thats summer in UK....THINK TWICE FOLK!