Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

One to watch for at the moment is Abbot trying to underhandedly enact the Migration Amendment (Offshore Resources Activity) Repeal 2014 which has already been pushed back by the senate. If this goes through, the whole market for Australian Seafarers will be untenable, I think we wouldn't be able to afford to stay here if it went through...

Hi CaptR,

I've not heard of this before so I have a few questions.

What would be the consequences of this repeal, for the Non Aus citizen/PR?

Would this mean fewer job availability? Less pay?

Will it apply to all seafarers or just those in oil and gas exploration/exploitation?

Essentially it means that the maritime crew visa will be extended to allow non Australian/PR workers to operate in Australian water (offshore oil and gas etc) on foreign conditions. Which would flood the market and result in less work and poorer conditions for those currently working here. Australian conditions of course take into account Australian domestic law, employment conditions, tax and superannuation.

The current system is that Australians/PR get priority and then if none are available a company can apply for overseas workings to fly in/out from to verses on 457 visas, and are paid the same wages, tax, superannuation as their Australian colleagues. This seems to work just fine and in my current employment we have a few guys coming in from Europe and the UK to work

The UK already did all if this many years ago, hence why conditions aren't as good and the only way the job pays enough is because of the UK Seafarer Earning Deduction for zero tax.

Abbot here claims the cost of operating offshore with Australian conditions is placing Australian business at a disadvantage...

Essentially it means that the maritime crew visa will be extended to allow non Australian/PR workers to operate in Australian water (offshore oil and gas etc) on foreign conditions. Which would flood the market and result in less work and poorer conditions for those currently working here. Australian conditions of course take into account Australian domestic law, employment conditions, tax and superannuation.

The current system is that Australians/PR get priority and then if none are available a company can apply for overseas workings to fly in/out from to verses on 457 visas, and are paid the same wages, tax, superannuation as their Australian colleagues. This seems to work just fine and in my current employment we have a few guys coming in from Europe and the UK to work

The UK already did all if this many years ago, hence why conditions aren't as good and the only way the job pays enough is because of the UK Seafarer Earning Deduction for zero tax.

Abbot here claims the cost of operating offshore with Australian conditions is placing Australian business at a disadvantage...

Thanks for that, very interesting I'll be following the progress of this.

Surely the Aus government get a lot of tax money from the way it is now and also if Aus jobs are lost or harder to get then that will force the skilled labour elsewhere or potentially cause an increase in people claiming benefits.

Sounds ridiculous to me.

Hi again

Just wondering... I've checked AMSA for skill recognition and because my degree was done in country which doesn't have mutual agreement so they won't do it but they have in Ireland so just sent my docs with request for recognising this here first and then with this there is still chance... however the forms they have are officers...could not find the one for 'Marine Transport Professional' other than officers...anyone know which this would be?

regards

Hi ewekom,

I think this might be a question for a migration agent. They may be able to figure out what category you could fit into.

You need to define your job title, that you are qualified for the job, and that job title is on the Skilled Occupation List to qualify for residency, those are the core requirements, however there is such a thing as a 'Marine Transport Professional' which is a job title for people who don't fit into the ship's officer, engineer and master categories.

Good luck.

Hi again

Just wondering... I've checked AMSA for skill recognition and because my degree was done in country which doesn't have mutual agreement so they won't do it but they have in Ireland so just sent my docs with request for recognising this here first and then with this there is still chance... however the forms they have are officers...could not find the one for 'Marine Transport Professional' other than officers...anyone know which this would be?

regards

It may be via a different assessing authority such as VETASSESS, I'm sorry I can't be more help on this.

I forwarded my approval letter by email to AMSA and they issued the CoR. I paid for the CoR after the oral in Fremantle, so it was all just a case of sending the proof of visa as and when I got it.

They sent it out to my address overseas. It is a Certificate of Recognition and looks identical to a CoC

Hi Captain R,

Got my grant finally.Thanks a lot for your help .Had called AMSA regarding my CoR application and was told that I will only be issued a CoR once I enter and Validate my Visa.I cannot apply from offshore.This was according to the Sydney AMSA office.

Have mailed Canberra and will see what they have to say.

Sorry to hear your woes, actually you should just be dealing directly with Canberra for the actual issue of the CoR, I am sure once you have sent Canberra your grant notification they will issue you the CoR.

Got it sorted with Canberra.Just had to send the Grant papers across and the payment.

Has anybody completed this Continued Competency course yet? The one that AMSA are requesting that we do before the skills assessment will be issued.

I am looking into doing this 2 day course, it essentially is just the STCW revalidation course. My company are pushing me to do it.

I am looking into doing this 2 day course, it essentially is just the STCW revalidation course. My company are pushing me to do it.

If you find any more about it then can you let me know.

I thought I may have been able to do it here and get it recognised but don't want to take the risk that it won't be recognised, however it seems that so far no UK colleges are conducting such a course.

AMC in Tasmania run the two day course pretty much weekly, and also it's run in a Perth by several establishments. There is an Officers course and ratings course! you want the two day officers course! it revalidation the Advanced Fire Fighting and Sea Survival etc.

AMC in Tasmania run the two day course pretty much weekly, and also it's run in a Perth by several establishments. There is an Officers course and ratings course! you want the two day officers course! it revalidation the Advanced Fire Fighting and Sea Survival etc.

My letter from AMSA says that I have to do "Continued Competence (Deck/Engineer Officers and Chief Integrated Ratings)"

There's three different courses with similar titles so I'm led to believe.

This course is 2.5 days and I wanted to see if there was an equivalent in the UK but so far AMSA haven't got back to me, even after emailing three times over 4 or 5 weeks!

If you find any more about it then can you let me know.

I thought I may have been able to do it here and get it recognised but don't want to take the risk that it won't be recognised, however it seems that so far no UK colleges are conducting such a course.

I emailed AMSA regarding the same a few weeks back. Though not very informative about the course, here's the reply that I received:

"For the issue of Certificates of Recognition from AMSA, you will need to complete your courses from a flag state (country) we have an agreement with/ or recognise. We can only recognise endorsements that are on your primary qualification."

Edited by ravman

I emailed AMSA regarding the same a few weeks back. Though not very informative about the course, here's the reply that I received:

"For the issue of Certificates of Recognition from AMSA, you will need to complete your courses from a flag state (country) we have an agreement with/ or recognise. We can only recognise endorsements that are on your primary qualification."

Their answer seems a bit ambiguous, more than likely I will just do the course in Australia.

It will be tight though as I only have a two week window to fly from the uk, do orals, the continued competence course and visit some prospective employers before travelling back to the UK and straight back to work!

I got a reply from AMSA this morning regarding the continuing competence course, as follows;

Yes, you may complete the continued competence courses in the UK. You will just need to attain a letter from the training provider stating that the course meets the course is approved by the UK issuing authority.

Hello Captain R.

Not sure you are still on this forum. I am making an attempt to get my CoR for my Masters ticket from AMSA. It would be a huge help to have a list of the questions to narrow down the study scope. Also hearing conflicting stories about the orals exam. Questions from the Syllabus ? Full blown CoC all over again ? Any information would be a huge help.

oceanman93,

heya, even i am preparing for the Masters oral.

1) From all that i have seen and read the orals cover mostly your role as Master on an Australian vessel.

2) The ROR and the lights are same all over the world.

3) Also the buoys, they might just ask you to identify them or maneuver a model ship around them. keep in mind the Region "B".

4) and then the emergencies, also same.

5) Certifications, also same, keeping in mind the Australian laws and requirements.

6) am brushing up on the Australian notices (most of them are same as the MGNs and MSNs)

there are two syllabuses around, one for full blown COC and one for COR. You will need to go through the Full COC syllabus but press more on COR one. He / They can ask from anywhere (depending upon their mood that day).

regards

baggi

Hello Baggi,

Thanks for that information. Yes I have been going over the AMSA MOs and MNs; Nav Act 2012 and all related material. I guess it does depend on how the examiner is feeling that day. Just reading here in earlier post of some of the questions about Bulkers and cargo requirements for loading etc has me nervous as I have never been on a bulk freighter in my career so I geuss I will get a copy of the bulk cargo code and start reading in case they hit me with that....

Thanks again... Good luck with your exam... Where are you taking them ??

Hello Baggi,

Thanks for that information. Yes I have been going over the AMSA MOs and MNs; Nav Act 2012 and all related material. I guess it does depend on how the examiner is feeling that day. Just reading here in earlier post of some of the questions about Bulkers and cargo requirements for loading etc has me nervous as I have never been on a bulk freighter in my career so I geuss I will get a copy of the bulk cargo code and start reading in case they hit me with that....

Thanks again... Good luck with your exam... Where are you taking them ??

PM your email address, I have a couple of past papers from AMSA masters orals that I can send you.

oceanman93.....

have not seen the BC code being asked. basically its more of your role as Master. i feel that the notices are more important as they are more updated.

find some people or friends who have sailed on bulkies and just get the precautions to load certain cargoes. the main export of Australia is coal and iron ore. on the import side there is more of cement coming.

oceanman93.....

have not seen the BC code being asked. basically its more of your role as Master. i feel that the notices are more important as they are more updated.

find some people or friends who have sailed on bulkies and just get the precautions to load certain cargoes. the main export of Australia is coal and iron ore. on the import side there is more of cement coming.

Thank you for that info. I have made contact with a former AMSA orals prep course instructor and he has given me some direction on the BC code and what I might encounter. His name is Peter Alpin and he has been a big help. If you need his contact info please reply and I will forward it on. Thanks again.

Good Day All

I have posted in this thread before. It looks like I am going to be getting permission to return to WA as a spouse. This leads me to my next question will I have to complete the CEC process in order to work in Australian Waters?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Peter Ash

Congrats.

As for you question,

you will have to complete the CEC process (the orals and all) for working there as this qualifies for the Australian equivalence of your ticket. I believe that some employers ask for this.