Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Dear Captain C,

I had written to AMSA regarding Continued Competence Deck officers course.They said its equivalent can be done from India since I am in India. If your Country is listed which has agreement with Australia, then u too can do it from your country.

Regards,

Sevenseas1982

Hi Sevenseas,

I am in India as well and got the same requirement to fulfil. Which institute are you planning to do the course from? And what is the name of the similar course in India that AMSA recognises?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sevenseas,

Completed my assessment in dec and wasn't asked to do this course then.Presently am awaiting for a decision on my PR 189 Visa.Is continued competence the same as the refresher for our STCW courses due by December 2016.

Yes, exactly.

Hi Ravman,

Continued Competence Deck officers course is same as STCW 2010 compliant PSCRB and AFF including FPFF. Better get all STCW 2010 courses done before going for AMSA orals.

Regards,

thanks Sevenseas.presently am waiting for my PR to go through.Assessment completed last year.

I have had quite a few messages asking for details on how long AMSA took to process my documents, so here is my timeline in full.

25 Feb 2013 – Started requesting letters from my previous employers

15 Apr 2013 - Submitted AMSA CoR Application by courier

17 Apr 2013 – AMSA Started processing my application

28 May 2013 – AMSA Issued Letter to sit Oral (by e-mail)

06 July 2013 – IELTS Exam

05 Aug 2013 – Arrived Perth/Fremantle

06 Aug 2013 – AMSA checked original documents

07 Aug 2013 – AMSA Medical

08 Aug 2013 – AMSA Oral at Fremantle Office

09 Aug 2013 – Departed Perth

20 Aug 2013 – AMSA Issued Immigration Verification Letter (PDF)

20 Aug 2013 – Submitted EOI

01 Sep 2013 – Invited to apply for Visa

04 Sep 2013 – Applied for 189 Visa

02 Nov 2013 – Grant Notification

hi Captain R,

Once you Recieved your PR from DIBP,did you travel to OZ to get your COR or

did you just inform AMSA and they send it out to you back home.

is the COR. An Australian COC or is it just a cert saying that our existing COC is recognised by AMSA.

I forwarded my approval letter by email to AMSA and they issued the CoR. I paid for the CoR after the oral in Fremantle, so it was all just a case of sending the proof of visa as and when I got it.

They sent it out to my address overseas. It is a Certificate of Recognition and looks identical to a CoC

I was talking to a pilot on my ship last night and he travelled to Fremantle for Masters orals a few weeks back, he said he'd send me the questions. So all of those people who I have emails for I will forward it on to you when I get it. If there's anybody else who would like me to send a copy to you also please PM with your email address.

So just been going through the ships library (ironically working on a British ship in Aussie waters...) and discovered a publication which would have been a godsend when preparing for the AMSA Orals;

AHP20 Seafarers Handbook for Australian Waters

Its a government nautical publication but covers all of the regulation topics that the oral specifies and more.

http://www.cairnscharts.com.au/products/ahp-20-australian-seafarers-handbook

I forwarded my approval letter by email to AMSA and they issued the CoR. I paid for the CoR after the oral in Fremantle, so it was all just a case of sending the proof of visa as and when I got it.

They sent it out to my address overseas. It is a Certificate of Recognition and looks identical to a CoC

thanks a lot for the Confirmation. Dont remember paying for the COR,only for the Oral Exam $430.

Will contact AMSA if and when my grant gets through.

Hi All,

I am at the very preliminary stage and trying to know the complete process of skill assessment by AMSA. I must say that this thread have been very informative and many doubts were cleared by reading the blogs. Captain R and Captain C has put lot of useful information. I have booked IELTS and now planning to submit application to AMSA for assessment. I need to know that how much time I will get after I receive letter from AMSA to sit for orals? Do they specify any time limit within which I have to appear in orals? How much early I have to book oral exams?

Hi Captain Singh,

Welcome onboard.

AMSA will take approximately 4-5 weeks to process a simple application. Firstly you will get an email with a PDF of the assessment letter, then one in the post.

The validity of the letter is the same as that of your current certificate of competency, so when your CoC expires, the letter expires.

Thanks Captain C. Trying to get original seatime certificate from previous employers.Hopefully I will get within a week or so.

As understood there are not many opportunities in Australia for seafarers. Is it possible that after migrating to Australia self keep sailing with other flag state vessels and remit salary to any Australian bank. Will that be taken as has worked in Australia? After all this way I will be contributing to Australian economy and my family would be living in Australia.

Thanks Captain C. Trying to get original seatime certificate from previous employers.Hopefully I will get within a week or so.

As understood there are not many opportunities in Australia for seafarers. Is it possible that after migrating to Australia self keep sailing with other flag state vessels and remit salary to any Australian bank. Will that be taken as has worked in Australia? After all this way I will be contributing to Australian economy and my family would be living in Australia.

Unless you are being sponsored by an Australian company I don't believe that there are any restrictions on where you work at all.

I lived in Australia once before on a partner visa but still worked deep sea for a uk based company, I had Medicare and a TRN, no problems at all.

There is such a thing as 'resident for tax purposes' but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about it. You should look at the Australian tax office website and see if you can find any answers to your questions, the link is https://www.ato.gov.au

There are plenty of Australian offshore and pilotage opportunities for those with experience, do you think this would fit you?

Unless you are being sponsored by an Australian company I don't believe that there are any restrictions on where you work at all.

I lived in Australia once before on a partner visa but still worked deep sea for a uk based company, I had Medicare and a TRN, no problems at all.

There is such a thing as 'resident for tax purposes' but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about it. You should look at the Australian tax office website and see if you can find any answers to your questions, the link is https://www.ato.gov.au

There are plenty of Australian offshore and pilotage opportunities for those with experience, do you think this would fit you?

Great...By the way, how easy is it get nomination by state?

Great...By the way, how easy is it get nomination by state?

I've never looked into this for myself but you still have to go through the same exact process as for the independent visa, you would still have to travel to sit orals in Australia, have to provide the employment letters, police certificates, medicals, IELTS etc. so if you have the points and the skills then the 189 independent visa is the best way to go in my opinion.

Have you looked at the offshore industry or pilotage?

I've never looked into this for myself but you still have to go through the same exact process as for the independent visa, you would still have to travel to sit orals in Australia, have to provide the employment letters, police certificates, medicals, IELTS etc. so if you have the points and the skills then the 189 independent visa is the best way to go in my opinion.

Have you looked at the offshore industry or pilotage?

I am working in Port as Terminal Manager since last couple of years. I am not sure that if my present job will be considered as closely related occupqtion to gain points in point table, so I was considering for state nomination to get points. Regarding Pilotage, I can go for it but no experience in offshore industry. Also,Police certificate is required by immigration or AMSA? Probably you are right, 189 visa is best but it all depends on score I get in IELTS. Can you send me type of oral questions asked by AMSA? I would really appreciate that.

I am working in Port as Terminal Manager since last couple of years. I am not sure that if my present job will be considered as closely related occupqtion to gain points in point table, so I was considering for state nomination to get points. Regarding Pilotage, I can go for it but no experience in offshore industry. Also,Police certificate is required by immigration or AMSA? Probably you are right, 189 visa is best but it all depends on score I get in IELTS. Can you send me type of oral questions asked by AMSA? I would really appreciate that.

Yes that may be a problem.

Here are some questions for you so I can gain a bit more understanding of your situation.

1. Do you have a current valid unrestricted Master certificate of competency?

2. How mane years of seagoing employment have you had in the last 10 years? (Not sea time, just employment at sea)

3. Do you have pilotage experience? Either as pilot or as a Pilotage Exemption Certificate holder?

4. Does terminal manager involve the duties of a Harbourmaster?

Police certificates, IELTS, medical are all for immigration except for the AMSA seafarer medical which is separate.

I can send you some sample questions if you send me your email address in a private message.

Good afternoon

Sorry for going with little different subject but I was wondering if anyone know what is situation in finding job as Ship Agent or in marine operations/ administration? I have engineering degree from Naval Academy in maritime trade & administration but no practice as cadet so can't obtain officer cert. I contacted amsa and by this what could see would be very difficult to receive recognition of skills for me...I'm working in ship agency since 2006 before was working on board of vessel for 6 years but in hotel department. I'm researching jobs offers but can't really see any... Sea trade is busy there and You would think there must be port agent too. I live in Ireland and wondering if it's similar situation that those jobs are gone before gone to advert??? I 'm also certified in ARPA and Foundation Diploma from ICS- International Chartered Shipbrokers.

Any comments/ advices appreciated.

Good afternoon

Sorry for going with little different subject but I was wondering if anyone know what is situation in finding job as Ship Agent or in marine operations/ administration? I have engineering degree from Naval Academy in maritime trade & administration but no practice as cadet so can't obtain officer cert. I contacted amsa and by this what could see would be very difficult to receive recognition of skills for me...I'm working in ship agency since 2006 before was working on board of vessel for 6 years but in hotel department. I'm researching jobs offers but can't really see any... Sea trade is busy there and You would think there must be port agent too. I live in Ireland and wondering if it's similar situation that those jobs are gone before gone to advert??? I 'm also certified in ARPA and Foundation Diploma from ICS- International Chartered Shipbrokers.

Any comments/ advices appreciated.

Hi ewekom,

I think this might be a question for a migration agent. They may be able to figure out what category you could fit into.

You need to define your job title, that you are qualified for the job, and that job title is on the Skilled Occupation List to qualify for residency, those are the core requirements, however there is such a thing as a 'Marine Transport Professional' which is a job title for people who don't fit into the ship's officer, engineer and master categories.

Good luck.

Hi ewekom,

I think this might be a question for a migration agent. They may be able to figure out what category you could fit into.

You need to define your job title, that you are qualified for the job, and that job title is on the Skilled Occupation List to qualify for residency, those are the core requirements, however there is such a thing as a 'Marine Transport Professional' which is a job title for people who don't fit into the ship's officer, engineer and master categories.

Good luck.

Thanks, I have already been in contact with 2 agents and they both had trouble with allocating my job with SOL, yes I have seen this title but I 've been advised that description of this isn't really suitable for ship agent- it's more like VTS or someone that I work with on daily basis with from Port :D...

Perhaps there is someone here who work in port environment that would know bit about. kind regards

Thanks, I have already been in contact with 2 agents and they both had trouble with allocating my job with SOL, yes I have seen this title but I 've been advised that description of this isn't really suitable for ship agent- it's more like VTS or someone that I work with on daily basis with from Port :D...

Perhaps there is someone here who work in port environment that would know bit about. kind regards

Just a thought, you could try to contact some agencies in Australia. My father in law works for ISS McKay shipping agents in Australia and NZ so that's the only one I know of. If you get in touch with them they might be able to tell you a little more about demand for experienced ships agents.

One to watch for at the moment is Abbot trying to underhandedly enact the Migration Amendment (Offshore Resources Activity) Repeal 2014 which has already been pushed back by the senate. If this goes through, the whole market for Australian Seafarers will be untenable, I think we wouldn't be able to afford to stay here if it went through...