Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Got CO allocated.They have asked the Following w.r.t to PCC

"Evidence of Character plese supply form 80 and police clearances. To work out what police clearances you require due to travelling - please supply the ships flag country police clearances"

Really disappointing that they are doing this now. Out of interest, which flag states will you have to approach?

In my experience of passenger vessels if we had a passenger (or crew member) who broke the law onboard we usually landed them to the local authorities at the next port, wherever it may have been. Flag state has nothing to do with it.

I'm wondering if DIBP may have had a situation in the past where a seafarer had a criminal record in their flag state.

It has been a while since a seafarer was sent to the Admiralty for 2 dozen lashes or a keel hauling!!

I fail to believe that flag states will actually provide police clearances for a seafarer that was never resident or stepped foot in the country. Isle of Man, Liberia, Bermuda, Bahamas, etc

I had enough challenges getting police clearances for the countries I actually lived in.

Good luck chaps!

I fail to believe that flag states will actually provide police clearances for a seafarer that was never resident or stepped foot in the country. Isle of Man, Liberia, Bermuda, Bahamas, etc

I had enough challenges getting police clearances for the countries I actually lived in.

Good luck chaps!

Hi Captain R,

can you give me any tips on how you completed Form 80 with respect to the travel section.

I am only entering the dates and places which are stamped in my passport.as for port visits I cannot remember them and as you are aware we do not get them stamped anywhere.

Good luck chaps!

I wrote to Bermuda Police. No response at all.

Hi Captain R,

can you give me any tips on how you completed Form 80 with respect to the travel section.

I am only entering the dates and places which are stamped in my passport.as for port visits I cannot remember them and as you are aware we do not get them stamped anywhere.

I did the form 80 proactively (front loaded) for both wife and self, so no idea if I would have needed it or not. The form is annoying, but I did a spreadsheet with all the countries and dates that I could find (boarding passes, passport stamps, itineraries, emails, OLB freeboard page photocopies etc) as best as possible and a list of countries I could remember going to, saved it as PDF and then merged the form 80 scanned PDF together so that it was all contained. My case officer never asked for anything, I just woke up one day to a grant so I am guessing it was all fine.

FYI job market here, I've been chatting to the Aussie officers onboard and they reckon it isn't as plentiful as you'd expect. There is definately work in pilotage, AMSA surveyors or in the shipping companies ashore in Perth if you have a Masters ticket (especially with offshore experience). Offshore seems to be more difficult unless you have a DP Unlimited ticket, a lot of ships coming to the end of charter and moving back overseas. Most of the jobs are casual, not many permanent. I dropped lucky getting a casual job offshore, but no guarantees of work when the ship finishes current charter and I'm just doing relief work.

I read a lot of stuff that suggested otherwise, but having applied to every company is could find, current employer is the only one who even properly replied.

I think coming here with a 2nd mates ticket and only deep sea experience would be a real gamble.

Has anyone on here gone through the migrant visa process for this occupation? Any advice?Does anyone know about the job market for Ships Officers, maybe in the offshore sector?. Looking forward to hearing from anyone in the know.

--------------------

UPDATED POST: 08/06/2014

Timeline:

25 Feb 2013 – Started requesting letters from my previous employers

15 Apr 2013 - Submitted AMSA CoR Application by courier

17 Apr 2013 – AMSA Started processing my application

28 May 2013 – AMSA Issued Letter to sit Oral (by e-mail)

06 July 2013 – IELTS Exam

05 Aug 2013 – Arrived Perth/Fremantle

06 Aug 2013 – AMSA checked original documents

07 Aug 2013 – AMSA Medical

08 Aug 2013 – AMSA Oral at Fremantle Office

09 Aug 2013 – Departed Perth

20 Aug 2013 – AMSA Issued Immigration Verification Letter (PDF)

20 Aug 2013 – Submitted EOI

01 Sep 2013 – Invited to apply for Visa

04 Sep 2013 – Applied for 189 Visa

02 Nov 2013 – Grant Notification

Documents Uploaded

We received an immediate grant with these documents. No contact from the case officer.

Main Applicant

Passport

Birth Certificate

IELTS

AMSA Skill Assessment (Letter showing qualification+employment time)

Employment Letters

Work/Ship ID Cards (Old ones)

Police Clearance Certificates

Overseas Qualifications and license (HND Nautical Science/MCA Masters Ticket)

Resume

Form 80

Wife

Passport

Birth Certificate

Marriage License

IELTS

Police Clearances

Form 80

Son

Passport

Birth Certificate

Step Daughter

Passport Birth Certificate

Annullment Decree (Sole Custody to my wife)

Affadvit from 2010 showing no known wherabouts of ex-husband

Statutory Declaration from Sep 2013 saying still no known wherabouts of ex-husband.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get orals prep?

The Challenger Institute of Technology in Western Australia recommended Peter Aplin, he was charging A$70/per hour for prep.

Is the oral only based Australian Law?

No, based on my oral experience and feedback from others, the oral is comprehensive and covers everything on the syllabus in detail. I found it similar to my original British MCA Oral including legal questions in relation to the AMSA Marine Notices, Marine Orders and regulations. Rules, Buoys, Manouevering, IMO regs, cargo work etc were all covered.

Do I have to do an oral before getting the skill assessment?

Yes

Do I need to get a positive skill assessment before applying for the EOI?

Yes

Do I get my CoR after taking the oral?

No, only a skill assessment letter. The CoR is only issued once you have the visa and have submitted proof to AMSA.

Does the skill assessment letter from AMSA deduct periods of leave when counting the entire period of employment?

No, if you have been working at sea for 8 years on a regular rotation (i.e. 4 months on/2 months off or 2 months on/off) you will still get the full 8 years on the letter.

Can I send sea service testimonials?

No, you need to send company signed letters from all employers.

Do I really need to get a police clearance for flag states I have served 12 months on?

I wasn't asked for this and didn't provide it, but other people have had to, and you should make all efforts to try and obtain one. If you can't obtain one then you must submit proof and discuss with your case officer.

Is their an abundance of work in Australia?

There is some pilotage and shoreside work in remote areas, the jobs in major cities will more then likely have a queue of people already in Australia applying. Seagoing jobs in the offshore industry are fairly scarce unless you have AHTS command experience and a DP Unlimited ticket. Plenty of Australians with a 2nd Mates ticket and DP Advanced queing for junior officer jobs. Offshore oil and gas is also slowing down in some areas.

Excellent Job CaptainR.

Pretty much a full FAQ for those thinking of applying for a Skills Assessment and Visa.

Good day Sir,

I have just joined Pomsinoz. But have surfed through it several times before.I am writing to get information as to what is the duration of "Continued Competence Deck officers course"?

I have received a reply from AMSA and they have invited me for medicals, orals and also I need to complete the " Continued Competence course for Deck officer'.

Any details would be helpful.

Thank you.

Good day Sir,

I have just joined Pomsinoz. But have surfed through it several times before.I am writing to get information as to what is the duration of "Continued Competence Deck officers course"?

I have received a reply from AMSA and they have invited me for medicals, orals and also I need to complete the " Continued Competence course for Deck officer'.

Any details would be helpful.

Thank you.

I wasn't asked to do this, is this the 5 yearly refresher course for STCW Basic Training in line with the Manila Amendments; if so it's only a few days.

https://www.ifap.asn.au/IFAP/Training_Courses/Offshore_and_Maritime/Certificate_of_Safety_Training__Continued_Competence_.aspx

Edited by CaptainR

I sent an email to Bermuda Police regarding a PCC.

"I have been informed that due to a recent change in immigration rules for Australia I now need to obtain a police certificate for the flag state of any vessels I've sailed on for more than 12 months.

I have sailed on Hamilton registered vessels for the majority of my career but ironically have never been to Bermuda.

I was wondering if you could assist me with details of the process of applying for a certificate as a non-resident."

Here is their reply......

"You will not get a police certificate if you have not lived (physical address) in Bermuda for more than 3 months. This is the residency requirement. Sailing on a ship that is registered to Bermuda does not constitute residency . The Australian Immigration is fully aware of this."

I received my letter from AMSA this morning and mine also says that they require the continued competence certificate from me also.

I looked into it and the course is approx AUD1500 and runs over two days.

There are three approved course providers for this, Hunter TAFE;

Australian Maritime College (AMC);

And IFAP (industrial foundation for accident prevention)

The actual course name is "Continued Competence (Deck/Engineer Officers and Chief Integrated Ratings)

There are other courses with similar names but this is the exact wording from AMSA, so be careful when booking courses!!

Dear Captain C,

I had written to AMSA regarding Continued Competence Deck officers course.They said its equivalent can be done from India since I am in India. If your Country is listed which has agreement with Australia, then u too can do it from your country.

Regards,

Sevenseas1982