Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Hi, Im Rohit and I have just applied to AMSA for assessment of my overseas qualifications. I can see this forum is very informative and helpful for those migrating to Australia as a Ships officer. I will be very grateful if someone can direct me toward some study material for AMSA Masters Oral for issue of CoR. Can get in touch with me

Thanks!

Hi, Im Rohit and I have just applied to AMSA for assessment of my overseas qualifications. I can see this forum is very informative and helpful for those migrating to Australia as a Ships officer. I will be very grateful if someone can direct me toward some study material for AMSA Masters Oral for issue of CoR. Can get in touch with me

Thanks!

Hi Rohit, welcome to the forum. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll share what I have.

Hi all, glad to have found this forum and thanks to all you guys out here helping others in need of information. This post is for CaptainC, CaptainR, Doonite and others who have taken the AMSA oral exam. I hold a Chief Mate COC and I've sent my documents for assessment to AMSA. I need material for the orals preparation and will be thankful if you can forward me all that you have.

Hi all, glad to have found this forum and thanks to all you guys out here helping others in need of information. This post is for CaptainC, CaptainR, Doonite and others who have taken the AMSA oral exam. I hold a Chief Mate COC and I've sent my documents for assessment to AMSA. I need material for the orals preparation and will be thankful if you can forward me all that you have.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you what I have.

Hello everyone. Hope all are doing good! Thank you CaptainC for your reply. I sent a PM to you with my email address.

So I got my AMSA initial assessment yesterday. Here's how it goes:

AMSA has confirmed the authenticity and validity of your Indian certificate with the issuing authority, and that there is an agreement in place regarding recognition of seafarer qualifications between India and Australia.

AMSA has assessed your present qualifications and skills for the occupation of 'Ship's Officer' as not currently meeting the requirements for issue of an Australian Certificate of Recognition as Chief Mate.

However, under the current procedures, AMSA may recognise your Indian Certificate for issue of an Australian Certificate of Recognition in the capacity of Chief Mate when you have met all of the following conditions:

- Australian seagoing medical fitness standards (medical examination);

- Passed an oral examination conducted by an AMSA examiner in Australia;

- Complete a continued competence (Deck/Engineer Officers and Chief Integrated Ratings) course;

- Hold an Australian GMDSS Certificate of Competency or Certificate of Recognition for your Indian GMDSS certificate;

- Payment of all required fees for examination and certificate issue;

- Meet citizenship, residency or employment criteria detailed in MO70 29(2)

Can any of you people with experience tell me if the assessment letters you got were similar? Also does anyone have information about the "Continued competence" course. And what about GMDSS? Will I have to do it again in Australia, or just my Indian GMDSS certificate be recognised?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone. Hope all are doing good! Thank you CaptainC for your reply. I sent a PM to you with my email address.

So I got my AMSA initial assessment yesterday. Here's how it goes:

AMSA has confirmed the authenticity and validity of your Indian certificate with the issuing authority, and that there is an agreement in place regarding recognition of seafarer qualifications between India and Australia.

AMSA has assessed your present qualifications and skills for the occupation of 'Ship's Officer' as not currently meeting the requirements for issue of an Australian Certificate of Recognition as Chief Mate.

However, under the current procedures, AMSA may recognise your Indian Certificate for issue of an Australian Certificate of Recognition in the capacity of Chief Mate when you have met all of the following conditions:

- Australian seagoing medical fitness standards (medical examination);

- Passed an oral examination conducted by an AMSA examiner in Australia;

- Complete a continued competence (Deck/Engineer Officers and Chief Integrated Ratings) course;

- Hold an Australian GMDSS Certificate of Competency or Certificate of Recognition for your Indian GMDSS certificate;

- Payment of all required fees for examination and certificate issue;

- Meet citizenship, residency or employment criteria detailed in MO70 29(2)

Can any of you people with experience tell me if the assessment letters you got were similar? Also does anyone have information about the "Continued competence" course. And what about GMDSS? Will I have to do it again in Australia, or just my Indian GMDSS certificate be recognised?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, your letter is similar to mine. I am not sure about the continued competence though as my letter never mentioned that. GMDSS I believe you just have to pay for, no further courses (at least that's the case with uk issued ones).

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome, I sent three emails last week, have you received them?

First I've heard of the continued competence, i have a couple of theories though.....

Is your original CoC Indian? If so, it may be a prerequisite of Indian certification regulations. Maybe check with your certifying authority.

It may also mean that you've had your chief mates ticket approaching 5 years (revalidation time) and they want to see evidence that your knowledge is current (if applicable)

I don't see any reference to this is MO 70 so I'd clarify the meaning of this with AMSA.

I spoke to them today on the phone and they were fairly swift in dealing with my enquiry. Worth a try.

Thank you CaptainR for clarifying my doubt. And yes CaptainC, I received you emails. Thank you so much for the study material.

My original CoC is Indian, but I got my ticket just last year. So it might be that this is a prerequisite for certificates issued from my country. I have sent an email to AMSA but haven't received any reply yet. I'll try calling them as you suggest.

I had also requested them to assess my educational qualifications, as per Australia's AQF, to claim points for my Bachelor's degree. I have a B.Sc. Nautical Science degree, and had confirmed with AMSA before sending the documents if they are the best authority to assess it. They said yes at the time. But nothing about it is mentioned in the letter that I received. Has anyone got their academic qualifications assessed by AMSA? If yes, at what stage should I expect an assessment from them regarding this - after the orals, or before that?

Thank you CaptainR for clarifying my doubt. And yes CaptainC, I received you emails. Thank you so much for the study material.

My original CoC is Indian, but I got my ticket just last year. So it might be that this is a prerequisite for certificates issued from my country. I have sent an email to AMSA but haven't received any reply yet. I'll try calling them as you suggest.

I had also requested them to assess my educational qualifications, as per Australia's AQF, to claim points for my Bachelor's degree. I have a B.Sc. Nautical Science degree, and had confirmed with AMSA before sending the documents if they are the best authority to assess it. They said yes at the time. But nothing about it is mentioned in the letter that I received. Has anyone got their academic qualifications assessed by AMSA? If yes, at what stage should I expect an assessment from them regarding this - after the orals, or before that?

I may be wrong here but I don't think you can claim points for your degree if you are already claiming points for your professional qualifications.

You'll be very lucky to get an email back from AMSA I've tried 4 separate times and received nothing back. The main switchboard is +61 2 6279 5000

Hi Captain R,

Am a Chief Engg and have applied for an 189 Visa.Have a couple of Queries.

1)do they consider our total Employment when giving points as I have claimed 15.Have been employed for the last 8 years in the last 10.OR only our sailing time.

2) Just noticed that DIBP require PCC from Vessel Flag states if sailing for more than 12 months cumulatively in the Last 10.

Were you asked to produce any PCC.wondering how to get from Malta as they do not issue except in person.

thanks

Hi Capt C

Firstly great work helping others get through this Aussie minefield, I am a serving Pilot and UK class 1 holder, I wonder if I could get some revision material from you, for Masters Orals

Cheers

Pilot M

No problem, just send me a private message with your email, and I'll send you everything I have.

Hi Captain R,

Am a Chief Engg and have applied for an 189 Visa.Have a couple of Queries.

1)do they consider our total Employment when giving points as I have claimed 15.Have been employed for the last 8 years in the last 10.OR only our sailing time.

2) Just noticed that DIBP require PCC from Vessel Flag states if sailing for more than 12 months cumulatively in the Last 10.

Were you asked to produce any PCC.wondering how to get from Malta as they do not issue except in person.

thanks

Hi, they will count the total period of time in employment and won't deduct the leave, so you should be good with that.

Where did you read about the 12 month requirement, I wasn't asked for this but met someone else on the forum who was and he argued it was impossible until they backed down.

Hi, they will count the total period of time in employment and won't deduct the leave, so you should be good with that.

Where did you read about the 12 month requirement, I wasn't asked for this but met someone else on the forum who was and he argued it was impossible until they backed down.

Hi, I also saw this requirement for the flag state PCC yesterday it must be a new addition to the DIBP website as I'm sure it wasn't there a few weeks back when myself and CaptainR were talking about it.

It seems a bit ridiculous as very few counties will issue a police clearance for someone who hasn't lived there, or even has a residential address though. Most people never even set foot in their flag states, ever.

Totally ridiculous.

http://www.immi.gov.au/faqs/Pages/will-i-be-asked-to-have-a-police-check.aspx

Yes, this is definitely a new requirement (or at least new to the website) and is totally ridiculous. I wasn't asked for these.

If you have worked a year or more of the last 10 years for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police check from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails or country of ownership of the rig.

It seems a bit ridiculous as very few counties will issue a police clearance for someone who hasn't lived there, or even has a residential address though. Most people never even set foot in their flag states, ever.

Totally ridiculous.

I agree, I've never been to Hamilton or Monrovia!

For me I think that Bermuda is the only one I would need, most have been UK registered with the occasional Dutch, Bahamian, Liberian, thrown in the mix. I doubt that these flag states ever prosecute a crime committed on their flagged vessels for example, when three passengers carried Cocaine on a Bermuda registered cruise ship I worked on, they were tried and convicted in the UK.

And not forgetting the murder a few years back on a British registered cruise ship in International waters, the defendants were tried in Australia.

Edited by CaptainC
  • Like 1

Yes, your letter is similar to mine. I am not sure about the continued competence though as my letter never mentioned that. GMDSS I believe you just have to pay for, no further courses (at least that's the case with uk issued ones).

CaptainR, if possible can you PM me the assessment letter that AMSA sent you after the initial assessment (i.e. before the orals), and the skills assessment letter that you got after the orals. I just want to compare the two, and see what format the final skills letter assessment is in. I mean does one have to specify what all he wants in the final report (skill level, experience etc.) or do they follow a set format for everyone. And also I read on another forum that they assess your skills (not education) equivalent to an appropriate AQF Diploma/degree level. Is that how it goes for everybody?

I was under the impression that AMSA assessment is just to prove for eligibility for this particular ANZSCO code. And then I also wanted to get my degree (B.Sc. Nautical Science) from an appropriate authority (AMSA has refused to do it, so it will have to be Vetassess now) to claim 15 points for education.

Hi Ravman, the general consensus on the points for the skills assessment and degree is that you can only claim one or the other. Only one set of points can be claimed for each section.

Thank you for your reply CaptainC. I may be wrong, but can't one claim separate points for work experience (which is usually assessed by AMSA for us and reported in the final skills assessment) and educational qualifications (they specifically list different points for diplomas, degrees etc.). That's how I was calculating the possible points I could get if I get my degree assessed too.

I believe the highest AMSA equates your professional qualifications (i.e. taking into account our written functions and oral exams) is to AQF Advanced Diploma. But my Bachelor's degree will fetch me 5 extra points than that. Please point it out if I am wrong.

Thank you for your reply CaptainC. I may be wrong, but can't one claim separate points for work experience (which is usually assessed by AMSA for us and reported in the final skills assessment) and educational qualifications (they specifically list different points for diplomas, degrees etc.). That's how I was calculating the possible points I could get if I get my degree assessed too.

I believe the highest AMSA equates your professional qualifications (i.e. taking into account our written functions and oral exams) is to AQF Advanced Diploma. But my Bachelor's degree will fetch me 5 extra points than that. Please point it out if I am wrong.

Hi Ravman, after reading the your description of your intentions it seems that I misunderstood what you wanted to do. However, if you have sufficient points without the extra 5 for the degree I can't see why you would go to the extra expense and paperwork to get your degree recognised.

If you are low on points you might consider aiming for a IELTS score of 8+ to gain a few more points rather than opening up a can of worms by dealing with two separate assessing bodies.

Hi Ravman,

you can apply to vetassess to assess your degree.they are notoriously slow and will take a min of 12 weeks.As Cap suggested if you have the points with the AQF diploma award then go with it.

i got my Vetassess Qualification only PTA after a lot of calls to them in 13 weeks

Thanks Cap.Was a bit worried about the employment part

Got CO allocated.They have asked the Following w.r.t to PCC

"Evidence of Character plese supply form 80 and police clearances. To work out what police clearances you require due to travelling - please supply the ships flag country police clearances"