Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

I have consulted your good materials and Oral questions and it helped me a lot, it is very nice of you for mentioning them. I have Master certificate of competency but never sailed as Master before. It would be my honor to receive last advice on Master oral exam from you.

I see you intend to go to Brisbane. If you look at the file "Brisbane Orals Pass - CaptainC" then that is my personal report from Orals I took in Feb this year.

I hold a Chief Mate COC and sailing as 2nd Officer on Oil Tankers I've sent my documents for assessment to AMSA. I need material for the orals preparation and will be thankful if you can forward me all that you have.

Please read the thread, lots of information contained within, including the link to the dropbox.

Hello Guys ,

Great work with your guidance, I just came across class 189 by chance 10 days back and AMSA is now processing my application , just worried about the work experience though need no more than 3 years on that , I have seatime a month or 2 less than 3 years in the last 10 years as i have been to college in the middle and sailing only 4 months a year as a mate dpo . Is it AMSA that certifies your seatime and to be fair i hope it covers the entire on/off period though mine is a little inconsistent as a freelancer. clear on ielts 8.0 and other stuff . cheers

Hello Guys ,

Great work with your guidance, I just came across class 189 by chance 10 days back and AMSA is now processing my application , just worried about the work experience though need no more than 3 years on that , I have seatime a month or 2 less than 3 years in the last 10 years as i have been to college in the middle and sailing only 4 months a year as a mate dpo . Is it AMSA that certifies your seatime and to be fair i hope it covers the entire on/off period though mine is a little inconsistent as a freelancer. clear on ielts 8.0 and other stuff . cheers

It counts the whole employment time from the date you were employed until the date you left (including college time AFTER OOW)

Hi,

got another query .

1)My migration lawyer claims that irrespective of amsa letter stating years of experience ,the dibp will go through the whole thing again and judge the work experience once more taking the amsa letter as only a guidance .

2)Please from anybodys experience particularly those who filed eoi themselves , what is the take on this(i always thought that dibp were not having the understanding of this profession enough to judge it themselves and would rely on AMSA judgement .)

3)Do we need to submit all the seatime letters and discharge book entries one more time online or do they require more paperwork as evidence when filing for EOI .

Cheers

Hi,

got another query .

1)My migration lawyer claims that irrespective of amsa letter stating years of experience ,the dibp will go through the whole thing again and judge the work experience once more taking the amsa letter as only a guidance .

2)Please from anybodys experience particularly those who filed eoi themselves , what is the take on this(i always thought that dibp were not having the understanding of this profession enough to judge it themselves and would rely on AMSA judgement .)

3)Do we need to submit all the seatime letters and discharge book entries one more time online or do they require more paperwork as evidence when filing for EOI .

Cheers

1. Yes your agent is absolutely right. AMSA only offer an 'opinion'.

2. I applied myself, I claimed and got the full points for 8 years in last 10. I certainly don't have 8 years seatime in last ten.

3. You will need to resend the letters and all evidence of employment to DIBP as they make the final decision.

I would suggest that when making the company letters, design them to meet the AMSA requirements AND the the DIBP requirements all in the one letter (i.e. Providing the total time in employment from joining the company to leaving the company, followed by a breakdown of the individual seatime). Once you receive them and before you send them off to AMSA, make colour scans that can be later uploaded with your visa application.

I would suggest that when making the company letters, design them to meet the AMSA requirements AND the the DIBP requirements all in the one letter (i.e. Providing the total time in employment from joining the company to leaving the company, followed by a breakdown of the individual seatime). Once you receive them and before you send them off to AMSA, make colour scans that can be later uploaded with your visa application.

Yes absolutely, this is a top tip!

Good day to all. The OP, @CaptainR has created a new thread to consolidate all of the useful information and experience into it.

Please, if you have any new questions that haven't been answered in the first couple of posts in the new thread then please ask on the new thread.

I would request that all questions are related to the unique circumstances that seafarers face in their applications etc.

Please post any general migration questions in the migration section of the forum rather than the new thread.

The new thread is here > http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238200

This thread is now closed.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone please guide me on how to get invitation for AMSA CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCY ORAL EXAM PREPARETORY FOR ENGINEER WATCHKEEPER.

I am now in the Philippines, i am about to complete my 12 months seatime as Engine cadet. 

I plan to take my COC in Australia. 

I hold Nigerian passport and Philippines seaman's book. 

Thank you very much for your guide. 

Good day Captain.

Can anyone please guide me on how to get invitation for AMSA CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCY ORAL EXAM PREP FOR ENGINEER WATCHKEEPER.

I am now in the Philippines, i am about to complete my 12 months seatime as Engine cadet. 

I plan to take my COC in Australia. 

I hold Nigerian passport and Philippines seaman's book. 

Thank you very much for your guide. 

Hello all,

I have just got my Australian PR subclass 189. I am a second officer with 9 years of sailing experience on container vessels. And I am in doubt to where to go in Australia. 

I've registered on all job finding apps but there is no response, may be because I've entered an Indian address. But I seriously want to know where I should move to have better number of job options and availability. 

Would appreciate all the replies.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has been around for like for ever.....

lovely thread.  reminds me how hard it was getting here.

anyone here, based in South Australia?

just looking for some fellow mariners.

regards

baggi

Edited by baggi
spellings .........

Not taking the going back option.

Gonna bite the bullet and rough it out here. There are no marine jobs, whatsoever. There were two or three shipping offices here in the port area and when i went to meet them..... they were like, what are you doing here? 

And every recruiting company says, to apply from the website. I dont even know if they open those applications. I have applied to so many jobs that now i am getting rejection letters from unknown companies and the offices that i didnt even know that i had applied to. 

Anyways. Slowly things have started to look up. Takes time though...........

My advise to the new comers............ Come with enough financial backup to last the time till you get something running. And get a driving licence as soon as possible.

I am based here in South Australia, Adelaide Region. PM me if someone needs any assistance / service from a Master Mariner , Or even if you just want to talk. will fwd my number.

Am looking into starting something. Something related to shipping. would be nice if we have our network of mariners who are here, so that we can help each other out, offer assistance, services, that sort of thing. 

Shouting out to our seniors here too. PM me your numbers. who knows one might need someone in another city to carry out a job.

Cheers

baggi 

• Like 1