Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Some previous papers and study material here > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grpoeyxt4zz59ds/AADHbSoNuTBOUpNIIj-dRmQwa?dl=0

You have three days to prepare, I think that you have left it very late. Good luck anyway, you'll need it.

Hi! I could not get thru but he has given me a recommendation to come again in 15 days. What is that, do they do that normally?

I got stuck on two occasions on lights frequency etc.

Had a question about the visa payment process. At what time during the process the payment needs to be made? is it a one time full payment at the time of invitation?

Hi dnp, thanks for the congrats, appreciate it!

The visa is a one time, full payment, once you've completed the application form and before you start uploading the documents.

Hi! I could not get thru but he has given me a recommendation to come again in 15 days. What is that, do they do that normally?

I got stuck on two occasions on lights frequency etc.

I didn't expect you would get through. The examiner is letting you off very lightly.

You will need to study very hard over the next two weeks.

Edited by CaptainC

Good Day, I want to pursue chief mates studies in Australia as only 2 college have this course.Challenger institute of technology - Perth which gives Advance diploma and other is Australian Maritime college -Tasmanian which gives Bachelors degree is slightly expensive.which area & college do i should try? eg for living cost & part time job etc. As i also want to migrate to Australia in near future.

Thank you.

Good Day, I want to pursue chief mates studies in Australia as only 2 college have this course.Challenger institute of technology - Perth which gives Advance diploma and other is Australian Maritime college -Tasmanian which gives Bachelors degree is slightly expensive.which area & college do i should try? eg for living cost & part time job etc. As i also want to migrate to Australia in near future.

Thank you.

Do you want/need the bachelor degree? Both institutions have a good reputation, so it's up to your personal preferences which one to go for. There's plenty of things to research like you say.

If you want to migrate then the simplest way I can think of is to go through the skilled migration visa route now, and then once you have permanent residency then you can go to study for Chief Mates in Australia without having to worry about student visas etc.

Do you want/need the bachelor degree? Both institutions have a good reputation, so it's up to your personal preferences which one to go for. There's plenty of things to research like you say.

If you want to migrate then the simplest way I can think of is to go through the skilled migration visa route now, and then once you have permanent residency then you can go to study for Chief Mates in Australia without having to worry about student visas etc.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion Points Based Skilled Migration (subclasses 189 and 190) visa. im getting only 50 points as i count. Australian study & Studying and living in regional Australia will make more than 60 points for qualify.

All the best. Question, are the pilot jobs open to permanent residents, or only citizens?

Most of them are open to PR and Citizens, however pilotage jobs are notoriously difficult and competitive to get into at the moment, with the expectation of both command time and an Australia pilotage exemption as a minimum.

The consultation period has just closed, it'll go back to the Senate Committee to be discussed. It is very biased in the interests of business and if it goes through as is will adversely affect the industry here.

It is a small industry here already, and will just get smaller if they globalise the local shipping.

The industry is going through a tough time at the moment, with prices for oil, gas, coal, minerals and other resources so low the cuts are now appearing in our industry. Captains, Chief Engineers and all ranks below are being made redundant or looking for work, cadets coming out of the seafaring colleges are going overseas to get seatime or giving up all together. The limited shore jobs that appear seem to be overwhelmed with applicants.

Things will pick up again, but at the moment, it isn't pretty.

Edited by CaptainR

Thanks for update!

The consultation period has just closed, it'll go back to the Senate Committee to be discussed. It is very biased in the interests of business and if it goes through as is will adversely affect the industry here.

It is a small industry here already, and will just get smaller if they globalise the local shipping.

The industry is going through a tough time at the moment, with prices for oil, gas, coal, minerals and other resources so low the cuts are now appearing in our industry. Captains, Chief Engineers and all ranks below are being made redundant or looking for work, cadets coming out of the seafaring colleges are going overseas to get seatime or giving up all together. The limited shore jobs that appear seem to be overwhelmed with applicants.

Things will pick up again, but at the moment, it isn't pretty.

Hi Guys, I am planning to move to Australia and I booked an oral exam. I need some feed backs and information regarding salaries and job vacancies for an experienced Chief Officer in container ships. As I know after granting PR visa I need to work on RAVs (regulated Australian vessels). What are the companies and salaries they are providing.

Cheers

Hi Guys, I am planning to move to Australia and I booked an oral exam. I need some feed backs and information regarding salaries and job vacancies for an experienced Chief Officer in container ships. As I know after granting PR visa I need to work on RAVs (regulated Australian vessels). What are the companies and salaries they are providing.

Cheers

Welcome.

Job opportunities are not great at the moment, however you don't need to work on RAV's at all. You can work overseas should you wish to.

Dear Capt.C,

Thanks for reply. If I can work on non-RAVs why I need AMSA CoR? Why they grant visas for seafarers? And actually they do it fast. You can tell from other seafarers visa process most of them recieved their visa less than 6 months. If seafarers inside australia can't get jobs why they let us enter in such a down market?

Edited by RMN

Dear Capt.C,

Thanks for reply. If I can work on non-RAVs why I need AMSA CoR? Why the grant visas for seafarers? And actually they do it fast. You can tell from other seafarers visa process most of them recieved their visa less than 6 months. If seafarers inside australia can't get jobs why the let us enter in such a down market?

The CoR is just the skills assessment process. I don't know why they still grant the visas for seafarers, but the skilled occupation list is not an indication of occupations 'in demand' and never has been.

The visas are granted in 3 months approximately, sometimes less. It's the whole skill assessment process that takes the time.

Also, you don't have to work at sea or even anything to do with ships at all. You can work in Starbucks or McDonald's if you wish to.