Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

I fail to understand why DIBP have brought in this requirement, I suspect very few applications per year are from people who work on ships or oil rigs, and of those people for them to have a successful career as a professional the committing of a criminal offence would unlikely see them getting far.

Also, if a crime is committed on a ship it is almost certainly going to be dealt with by the coastal state that you are operating into. A crime committed on a Liberian rig in the Australian EEZ isn't going to call the Liberian police and tell them to come a fetch him.

The whole thing is ill thought out.

Yes, absolutely.

There was a crime committed onboard a Bermuda flagged ship I was on once (in international waters, en route to UK) and it was dealt with by the UK police. It was noted in the official log book but it definitely wasn't reported or dealt with by the Bermuda authorities.

Hello everyone agree with Captain C and Captain R if a crime is committed on a ship it is almost certainly going to be dealt with by the coastal state ,even I am stuck in a similar situation where I was not able to provide Panama PCC ,submitted stat dec. to DIBP and till now no message received not even about wavier .Wait is really annoying.

Hello everyone agree with Captain C and Captain R if a crime is committed on a ship it is almost certainly going to be dealt with by the coastal state ,even I am stuck in a similar situation where I was not able to provide Panama PCC ,submitted stat dec. to DIBP and till now no message received not even about wavier .Wait is really annoying.

When did you do Stat Dec, Sierra?

Going by the above post of yours Capt C, Can you please tell me that DIBP is picking up the PCC requirements(stat declarations) on the basis of EOI submitted or section 18,19,20 of the form 80 which asks the address history, employment history etc for the past 10 years?

For the PCC requirement for seafarers, you have to offer the information yourself, be guided by the character test requirements. If you fail to mention it, you run the risk of having your visa refused and losing your VAC.

This is direct from the DIBP website > https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Char

What if I have been working on a ship?

If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment.

Edited by CaptainC

.....Can you please tell me that DIBP is picking up the PCC requirements(stat declarations).....

You are confusing the need to provide a PCC with a stat dec.

If you are able to obtain a PCC then there is no requirement to complete a stat dec.

Stat Dec will be requested if you cannot obtain the relevant PCC.