Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Hi Capt C

Thanks for your response.

When I started the process in May 2014, they were using both form 419 and the older system.

At that time I was unaware and got my assessment done and orals booked using the older system.

Now that I need to apply for the CoR, I wish to know more about this ....

May be some older member can assist .... Should I just send my documents and a credit card authorisation form OR

Do I start a frsh 419.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

I'm not 100% sure on this, but what little I do know is that AMSA sighted all of my originals certificates, processed the payment by credit card, and took form 419 off me, all in the AMSA office.

They then told me to provide evidence of residency when I received it and then they would send out the CoR & GMDSS (I've even already paid the postage).

Hi Capt C

When I started the process in May 2014, they were using both form 419 and the older system.

At that time I was unaware and got my assessment done and orals booked using the older system.

May be some older member can assist .... Should I just send my documents and a credit card authorisation form OR

Do I start a frsh 419.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

After my orals I was given the option to apply for ECDIS endorsement along with CoR application, for which I had to pay an extra 150$ or so. I opted not to at that point. Then she said I can always apply for endorsements at a later stage and pay for them separately. However for ECDIS and other endorsements you will have to submit an additional letter from the course provider stating the course is approved by the Administration and that you were present at the course. This letter is required even if it is stated on the certificate. Same applied for continued competence courses done overseas.

Dear Rohit

Thanks for the response.

I called up AMSA, Sydney (appeared for Orals from there) where and they asked me to speak to AMSA Canberra office where my case has been finally transferred.

Getting a Certificate from the course provider is another task that i have in hand now.

Well .... these endorsements are something that we will need to work upon now.

Just the final word regarding the CoR , if it should be filled up and sent now at this stage is my only question.

Can someone please comment. Thanks in advance.

Regards

After my orals I was given the option to apply for ECDIS endorsement along with CoR application, for which I had to pay an extra 150$ or so. I opted not to at that point. Then she said I can always apply for endorsements at a later stage and pay for them separately. However for ECDIS and other endorsements you will have to submit an additional letter from the course provider stating the course is approved by the Administration and that you were present at the course. This letter is required even if it is stated on the certificate. Same applied for continued competence courses done overseas.

As Capt C mentioned, After my oral exam in Brisbane, I also filled form 419, paid for COR-COC and COR-GMDSS and international courier fee. Now, after obtaining residency, I sent the visa details by email and they have posted the documents to me and I have received the docs.

I think for your case, you will have to fill form 419 and send them an email to know the detailed procedure.

I emailed to :

quals@amsa.gov.au

Dear Rohit

Thanks for the response.

I called up AMSA, Sydney (appeared for Orals from there) where and they asked me to speak to AMSA Canberra office where my case has been finally transferred.

Getting a Certificate from the course provider is another task that i have in hand now.

Well .... these endorsements are something that we will need to work upon now.

Just the final word regarding the CoR , if it should be filled up and sent now at this stage is my only question.

Can someone please comment. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Edited by Chief Mate S

Hi Capt C

Do I start a frsh 419.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

@CaptainR & @Latitude83 can you help with this query?

Hi Colleagues, received Visa grant for wife , Son and myself today. Thanks to this group for the valuable inputs.Its a Great feeling after a long journey. I wish All the best to all who are in the process to obtain Visa May we all succeed in our future goals.Thanks to God.

Congrats! Is that a Saturday grant?? I've heard some others also being granted on a Saturday.

Chief Mate S,

Thanks for the Reply !!

Well when I appeared for the Orals, I was not given the option to Fill in Form 419, in Jan 2015 in Sydney.

More so , when i Called up Canberra office Call centre on Friday I was asked to send in a Filled in Form 419 ,

Now the trouble is that when i filled in the soft copy of this Form 419 (pdf) , it is asking me to send the Assessment Fee once More of $215 AUS although I have passed the Orals , apart from the CoR fee and the GMDSS fee.

Chief Mate S/Capt C , do you recall anything more from this filing of the Form 419 (like was it a physical form or did you do it on a terminal and did you fill up the sea service details again on this form etc. )

Hope to hear from you and Capt C , soon.

Also appreciate the efforts of Capt C asking older/senior members like CaptR and Latitude83 to assist.

Regards

Capt K

As Capt C mentioned, After my oral exam in Brisbane, I also filled form 419, paid for COR-COC and COR-GMDSS and international courier fee. Now, after obtaining residency, I sent the visa details by email and they have posted the documents to me and I have received the docs.

I think for your case, you will have to fill form 419 and send them an email to know the detailed procedure.

I emailed to :

quals@amsa.gov.au

Chief Mate S,

Thanks for the Reply !!

Well when I appeared for the Orals, I was not given the option to Fill in Form 419, in Jan 2015 in Sydney.

More so , when i Called up Canberra office Call centre on Friday I was asked to send in a Filled in Form 419 ,

Now the trouble is that when i filled in the soft copy of this Form 419 (pdf) , it is asking me to send the Assessment Fee once More of $215 AUS although I have passed the Orals , apart from the CoR fee and the GMDSS fee.

Chief Mate S/Capt C , do you recall anything more from this filing of the Form 419 (like was it a physical form or did you do it on a terminal and did you fill up the sea service details again on this form etc. )

Hope to hear from you and Capt C , soon.

Also appreciate the efforts of Capt C asking older/senior members like CaptR and Latitude83 to assist.

Regards

Capt K

I completed 419 on the computer and printed it out.

Come to think of it, I do recall that it automatically calculated the assessment fee again. I remember telling AMSA at the office and they crossed it out and just charged me for the issue of the CoR and GMDSS there and then.

They took the form from me and told me that the CoR would be sent when I sent them proof of residency.

I know CaptR is at sea at the moment and probably has limited access to the Internet, not sure about Lat 83 so I'll send him an email and double check with him. I'll also check to see if I've written any details down, but it's likely to take a while as the paperwork is at home, and I'm at sea.

Just checked through old emails and found it.

The form auto calculates so it's not possible to change. I'd suggest sending the form through to AMSA, and then noting that the assessment has already been carried out and scan your skills assessment letter and/or your receipt as proof.

Then complete the credit card authorisation for the CoR & GMDSS plus postage if applicable and exclude the assessment fee and send all of that in.

I can't think of anything other than the above to suggest to you other than contacting AMSA for an answer.

Can't really help that much, I also filled in Form 419 at the AMSA office and paid just the issuance fees at the time. Then once the visa was issued I just forwarded the grant letter by e-mail and they sent out the CoR. You shouldn't need to be pay the assessment fee again.

Thanks for your advise Capt C and Capt R

Well , just called up AMSA regarding the same.

They've asked me to fill out a new 419, and send it across, they've also asked me to leave the assessment Fee and send a Cover letter with my Form and the Documents.

Solves most of it .... However the part that the Endorsements like Tanker Endorsements and ECDIS won't be issued by AMSA if these ENDORSMENTS are a part of my Original Licence was also clarified during the Telconv.

But thanks to all of you for a prompt response !!

Cheers

Regards

Just checked through old emails and found it.

The form auto calculates so it's not possible to change. I'd suggest sending the form through to AMSA, and then noting that the assessment has already been carried out and scan your skills assessment letter and/or your receipt as proof.

Then complete the credit card authorisation for the CoR & GMDSS plus postage if applicable and exclude the assessment fee and send all of that in.

I can't think of anything other than the above to suggest to you other than contacting AMSA for an answer.

Capt R, Capt C,

Good Day,

Can you please tell me, how do they calculate professional year for seafarers. Is it like 6 months On/ 6 months off be, counted as 01 year experience.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. They consider employment from the date you began employment with a company to when you ended that employment. Forget sea time.

Capt C,

Thank You very much.

Regarding the seatime letter that one has to get from various companies, I once obtained all the original sea time letter from various companies and sent it to AMSA back in 2014.

Do I need to again get those original seatime letters from various companies and submit to DIBP when invited for the Visa. Or will the photocopies of the previous ones will do? Although I am trying to get as many originals as I can but a few companies are quite fussy.

Capt C,

Thank You very much.

Regarding the seatime letter that one has to get from various companies, I once obtained all the original sea time letter from various companies and sent it to AMSA back in 2014.

Do I need to again get those original seatime letters from various companies and submit to DIBP when invited for the Visa. Or will the photocopies of the previous ones will do? Although I am trying to get as many originals as I can but a few companies are quite fussy.

AMSA will return the original sea time letters when you go for Orals. Or they did in my case..

Thanks Rohit,

Unfortunately, they didnot. Since I was not aware that sea time letters will be asked again, I din't bother asking them, although the examiner had the whole lot of bundle infront of me.

Anyways, I have started asking all the companies to give me the sea time letter again.

Other thing is the original contracts and the payslips, i am finding it hard to locate them, specially of the initial ones which I did long time back.

What are the documents that have to be notarized? Form 80 has to be filled is it?

Thanks Rohit,

Unfortunately, they didnot. Since I was not aware that sea time letters will be asked again, I din't bother asking them, although the examiner had the whole lot of bundle infront of me.

Anyways, I have started asking all the companies to give me the sea time letter again.

Other thing is the original contracts and the payslips, i am finding it hard to locate them, specially of the initial ones which I did long time back.

What are the documents that have to be notarized? Form 80 has to be filled is it?

They only ask for around 3 months payslips, I submitted all payslips from Jan 2015 to May 2015.

None of the normal documents need to be notarised, as long as you upload colour scans of original documents then they will be acceptable.

Certain things do need to be certified or notarised, such as a statutory declaration but it is not a required document unless you are asked for it.