Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Congratulations BJ!

I've received an email that I have to wait for a waiver because I can't get a Bermuda Police Certificate, may take longer than a month!!

That is really sad Captain C as it is mentioned on DIBP site Bermuda PCC can be obtained after filling a form .

Not for people who have never been there! They have a three month residence requirement.

Noted,I have also submitted the stat dec today,did the Bermuda embassy reply to your mails stating that they cannot give PCC??,in my case I got a mail from Panama consulate stating their inability to give PCC which I have submitted to DIBP.

Noted,I have also submitted the stat dec today,did the Bermuda embassy reply to your mails stating that they cannot give PCC??,in my case I got a mail from Panama consulate stating their inability to give PCC which I have submitted to DIBP.

Yes, I got a reply from Bermuda and submitted that to immiaccount also.

Hy CaptainC and all others! Can you help me with some information?

Ok lets start by saying I am a complete noob on this matter.

My name is Felipe and I am 39, I actually live in Brasil but I want to leave my country, I would love to go to Australia as I identifield myself with this country, but I am also considering USA or Canada for that matter.

My 1st question is: is 39 too old to start studies to make a career and make myself a ship captain? I am asking this because here in Brasil we have only 2 specialized schools and none of them accept applicant older then 26 and I also read in some australian website that it is suggested to start study before 29 years old. Soo I am too old or not to become a ship captain?

My 2nd questio is: I had heart problems in the past, my heart is ok now and I make yearly checkups. Do you think this is a no go to become a ship captain?

3rd: Do you know how much money a luxury yacht of more then 50 meters earn per year or week in compar to a ship captain?

Thanks a lot for all the info!

Hy CaptainC and all others! Can you help me with some information?

Ok lets start by saying I am a complete noob on this matter.

My name is Felipe and I am 39, I actually live in Brasil but I want to leave my country, I would love to go to Australia as I identifield myself with this country, but I am also considering USA or Canada for that matter.

My 1st question is: is 39 too old to start studies to make a career and make myself a ship captain? I am asking this because here in Brasil we have only 2 specialized schools and none of them accept applicant older then 26 and I also read in some australian website that it is suggested to start study before 29 years old. Soo I am too old or not to become a ship captain?

My 2nd questio is: I had heart problems in the past, my heart is ok now and I make yearly checkups. Do you think this is a no go to become a ship captain?

3rd: Do you know how much money a luxury yacht of more then 50 meters earn per year or week in compar to a ship captain?

Thanks a lot for all the info!

Hi Felipe,

Welcome to the forum.

1. Certainly in the U.K. it was common practice not to accept anybody older than 24. This has since changed and older cadets are accepted now. If the Brazilian training institutes are not accepting anybody older than 26 then your only option is to try overseas.

The training lasts approximately three and a half years to get to a junior officer level. That 3 1/2 years is split approximately 60/40 going to sea to gain experience on the job and the rest at college to learn the theoretical parts of the job and sit several examinations. It is normal to have a shipping company to sponsor you and also to sail on their ships for the sea based phases. The final step to becoming a junior officer is to sit an oral examination which will test all of your knowledge and ensure your competence. Once you have qualified as a junior officer then it will take approximately a further 3 years to gain sufficient sea time to obtain your next certificate of competency, also in that three years you will have to sit more examinations and a higher level oral exam to be qualified as Chief Officer. Again a further three years (approximately) to be qualified as a Master (Captain) also involving another oral examination. So you can see that the process to gain the certificate of competency as a Captain takes somewhere in the region of 10 years.

Then you will have to work your way up to a command after that period, just obtaining the Master certificate of competency doesn't automatically make you a Captain, you will need to be promoted within the company that you are working for. There are a lot of people on this site alone who have the correct licences to sail as Captain but have not yet reached that point. In my case it took just over 11 years to obtain my first temporary command and 13 years before I was permanently appointed as a Captain.

2. The issue with your heart is possibly a factor that may obstruct you, the only way to determine that is to undergo a seafarers medical examination and they may or may not impose a restriction on where you can sail. I have a friend with a hole in his heart who sails, but is restricted to near coastal voyages to ensure that he can be evacuated in a hurry, I have another friend with a heart problem who is unrestricted, so it is all down to the determination of the doctor that examines you.

3. I worked on private yachts in the early part of my career and the earnings vary between yachts vastly, but you can expect somewhere in the region of USD $150k to $250k per year and a ship's captain salary is fairly similar, it all depends on ship type but it is common for some Captain's to earn more than the upper limit stated above.

It is not impossible for you, but your age may be a factor for some employers, and to become Captain before you are 50 years old is highly unlikely.

Do you have a skilled profession now that would be accepted to migrate to Australia? If not then getting certified as a ship's officer and using that as an occupation to migrate would not be recommended as you would likely be in your mid 40's with no experience as an officer which would go against you when it came to seeking employment.

Many thanks Capt C..even more for all the valuable suggestions you provided throughout this process....Pcc seems to be the only hurdle one has to cross which was not the case with me as I was required to get only British pcc....

No problem at all BJ, I'm glad that all the hard work paid off. It was nice to meet you in the AMSA office albeit a brief meeting! Best of luck in Australia and keep in touch.

1. Certainly in the U.K. it was common practice not to accept anybody older than 24. This has since changed and older cadets are accepted now. If the Brazilian training institutes are not accepting anybody older than 26 then your only option is to try overseas.

The training lasts approximately three and a half years to get to a junior officer level. That 3 1/2 years is split approximately 60/40 going to sea to gain experience on the job and the rest at college to learn the theoretical parts of the job and sit several examinations. It is normal to have a shipping company to sponsor you and also to sail on their ships for the sea based phases. The final step to becoming a junior officer is to sit an oral examination which will test all of your knowledge and ensure your competence. Once you have qualified as a junior officer then it will take approximately a further 3 years to gain sufficient sea time to obtain your next certificate of competency, also in that three years you will have to sit more examinations and a higher level oral exam to be qualified as Chief Officer. Again a further three years (approximately) to be qualified as a Master (Captain) also involving another oral examination. So you can see that the process to gain the certificate of competency as a Captain takes somewhere in the region of 10 years.

Then you will have to work your way up to a command after that period, just obtaining the Master certificate of competency doesn't automatically make you a Captain, you will need to be promoted within the company that you are working for. There are a lot of people on this site alone who have the correct licences to sail as Captain but have not yet reached that point. In my case it took just over 11 years to obtain my first temporary command and 13 years before I was permanently appointed as a Captain.

2. The issue with your heart is possibly a factor that may obstruct you, the only way to determine that is to undergo a seafarers medical examination and they may or may not impose a restriction on where you can sail. I have a friend with a hole in his heart who sails, but is restricted to near coastal voyages to ensure that he can be evacuated in a hurry, I have another friend with a heart problem who is unrestricted, so it is all down to the determination of the doctor that examines you.

3. I worked on private yachts in the early part of my career and the earnings vary between yachts vastly, but you can expect somewhere in the region of USD $150k to $250k per year and a ship's captain salary is fairly similar, it all depends on ship type but it is common for some Captain's to earn more than the upper limit stated above.

It is not impossible for you, but your age may be a factor for some employers, and to become Captain before you are 50 years old is highly unlikely.

Do you have a skilled profession now that would be accepted to migrate to Australia? If not then getting certified as a ship's officer and using that as an occupation to migrate would not be recommended as you would likely be in your mid 40's with no experience as an officer which would go against you when it came to seeking employment.

Hy CaptainC, thanks a LOT for such a complete answer to my questions.

It is very disappointing to realize I decided what I really want for my life soo late, I mean, even if I get my Captain certificate AND a job in 10 years, how much more time I have left to actually work? 10 more years? Do companies keep captains with more then 60 years? Feeling a bit sad :(

I am training for Health and Safety Advisor, this is a scholarship and with that by the end of 2016 I will be ready to apply for Australian Imigration, this skill is in high demand. After I get there I am planning to start study and keep working until I need to go to sea. OR something different can happen and I get a study visa and got straight for the studies, but then only time will tell.

Do you think it is easier to get a job as captain for a yacht instead of a ship?

Which one is the best naval school in Australia in your opinion?

Junior officer=deckhand?

Thanks a lot!

Hy CaptainC, thanks a LOT for such a complete answer to my questions.

It is very disappointing to realize I decided what I really want for my life soo late, I mean, even if I get my Captain certificate AND a job in 10 years, how much more time I have left to actually work? 10 more years? Do companies keep captains with more then 60 years? Feeling a bit sad :(

I am training for Health and Safety Advisor, this is a scholarship and with that by the end of 2016 I will be ready to apply for Australian Imigration, this skill is in high demand. After I get there I am planning to start study and keep working until I need to go to sea. OR something different can happen and I get a study visa and got straight for the studies, but then only time will tell.

Do you think it is easier to get a job as captain for a yacht instead of a ship?

Which one is the best naval school in Australia in your opinion?

Junior officer=deckhand?

Thanks a lot!

Sadly I really think that you have left it very late. Some people don't ever achieve becoming a Captain, even with 20-30 years experience, as it takes a certain type of person to do the job, it all depends on you and how you present yourself and how confident and competent you are throughout your career. Some Captains work until 65 but these are rare as the job is well paid so most Captains tend to retire early or move onto other jobs such as Marine Pilot which allow the home life that they have never had.

All that said, I think it's wise that you alter your mindset towards becoming a junior officer first rather than just wanting to become a Captain to begin with. Firstly you have to go through all the ranks and excel in all of them before being promoted to the next one. Junior officers are not deckhands but they are merely the first step on the ladder to become the Captain, there are people that join as deckhands and eventually become Captain but in your case it is almost certainly too late for that as you are looking at 15-20 years for that. My first post to you was taking the most direct route.

Being a yacht captain and a ship's captain are not necessarily two different things and neither is easier or quicker than the other, but depends more on the type of ship you sail on. The yachts you asked about in your first post were over 50m, so you would probably require a full Class 1 Master's Certificate of Competency.

There are various grades of Master certificate but the Class 1 is the highest and allows you to sail on any ship of any size, anywhere in the world. Lesser grades are restricted to a certain gross tonnage or a restricted trading area. Jobs as captain are hard to come by when you have these lower certificates as an employer would rather employ the class 1 Master, and there's plenty of us out there.

AMC (Australian Maritime College) in Launceston, Tasmania is the main marine training institution in Australia. http://www.amc.edu.au

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edited by CaptainC

Sadly I really think that you have left it very late. Some people don't ever achieve becoming a Captain, even with 20-30 years experience, as it takes a certain type of person to do the job, it all depends on you and how you present yourself and how confident and competent you are throughout your career. Some Captains work until 65 but these are rare as the job is well paid so most Captains tend to retire early or move onto other jobs such as Marine Pilot which allow the home life that they have never had.

All that said, I think it's wise that you alter your mindset towards becoming a junior officer first rather than just wanting to become a Captain to begin with. Firstly you have to go through all the ranks and excel in all of them before being promoted to the next one. Junior officers are not deckhands but they are merely the first step on the ladder to become the Captain, there are people that join as deckhands and eventually become Captain but in your case it is almost certainly too late for that as you are looking at 15-20 years for that. My first post to you was taking the most direct route.

Being a yacht captain and a ship's captain are not necessarily two different things and neither is easier or quicker than the other, but depends more on the type of ship you sail on. The yachts you asked about in your first post were over 50m, so you would probably require a full Class 1 Master's Certificate of Competency.

There are various grades of Master certificate but the Class 1 is the highest and allows you to sail on any ship of any size, anywhere in the world. Lesser grades are restricted to a certain gross tonnage or a restricted trading area. Jobs as captain are hard to come by when you have these lower certificates as an employer would rather employ the class 1 Master, and there's plenty of us out there.

AMC (Australian Maritime College) in Launceston, Tasmania is the main marine training institution in Australia. www.amc.edu.au

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Thanks a lot for all that valuable information sir!

I will check the AMC website.

****Sorry, no facebook links allowed****

Edited by CaptainC
Removed FB link

Hi Friends !!

Just needed your advise on One issue regarding the 'Certificate of Recognition' as i have now completed the various other formalities,including PR, continued competence, medicals, Orals .... can somebody please advise me about the procedure to apply for the COR.

Some of you have recommended using Form 419.

My other qeustion pertains to the Endorsements like GMDSS and Dangeruous cargo Endorsement like Oil and Gas.Even ECDIS - is given like an Endorsement in form 419.

How do i proceed - i asked AMSA if i can send a credit card authorization and scanned , attested/notarized copies of these documents , but they insisted on physical copies.

Can some you who have recently done this - be kind enough to give me a head start.

Regards

No problem!

Hi Friends !!

Just needed your advise on One issue regarding the 'Certificate of Recognition' as i have now completed the various other formalities,including PR, continued competence, medicals, Orals .... can somebody please advise me about the procedure to apply for the COR.

Some of you have recommended using Form 419.

My other qeustion pertains to the Endorsements like GMDSS and Dangeruous cargo Endorsement like Oil and Gas.Even ECDIS - is given like an Endorsement in form 419.

How do i proceed - i asked AMSA if i can send a credit card authorization and scanned , attested/notarized copies of these documents , but they insisted on physical copies.

Can some you who have recently done this - be kind enough to give me a head start.

Regards

I'm not 100% sure on this, but what little I do know is that AMSA sighted all of my originals certificates, processed the payment by credit card, and took form 419 off me, all in the AMSA office.

They then told me to provide evidence of residency when I received it and then they would send out the CoR & GMDSS (I've even already paid the postage).