Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Dear Sirs ,

Can someone help me about . how to do the medical booking during the orals ?

And the fees for medical ?

Im scheduled for Amsa orals for July 30th 2015 .

Arriving sydney on 27th morning and departure on 31st morning .

Kindly advice about the whole thing

thanks

http://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-publications/fact-sheets/amsa1579.pdf

Don't expect change from AU$400

I know its a minefield, but you will need to get familiar with the AMSA website, know the documents and information it contains.

Dear Sirs ,

Can someone help me about . how to do the medical booking during the orals ?

And the fees for medical ?

Im scheduled for Amsa orals for July 30th 2015 .

Arriving sydney on 27th morning and departure on 31st morning .

Kindly advice about the whole thing

thanks

Fees for mine were $430, but I could only pay on the day.

Dnp has given you the number above, but it is also on the AMSA website.

To be honest, you've left it very late. I hope that you can get a medical appointment because you won't be allowed to sit the orals without it.

Edited by CaptainC
Edited medical fee - I checked the receipt

Got my 189 VISA Grant letter today / 15th July 2015.

Congratulations Capt Deepak.

Were you on contractual service or a permanent employee. As many of us were discussing about the issues with recording the contractual service which would eventually reflect lesser work experience compared to what AMSA would have assessed.

Congratulations Capt Deepak.

Were you on contractual service or a permanent employee. As many of us were discussing about the issues with recording the contractual service which would eventually reflect lesser work experience compared to what AMSA would have assessed.

Thanks DNP.

Since Jan 2013, i had been working ashore as Port Captain for Heavy lift / Project cargo.

Presently stationed in Dubai, UAE

AMSA had given me 8 years + experience in last 10 years, which includes my sailing, Marine Pilot (2009 - 2010) & as Port Captain.

When EOI was filed, i had opted for only 5/6 years as i don't want to run into trouble.

My employments were on contractual basis through out...

I feel that, it should not be a concerned whether your employment is on contract or permanent basis.

Anybody who had sailed for about 6 months in a year, should be able to justify it to the CO.

I just want to address one more point.

No need to assess your Marine related Master or Bachelors degree (Nautical Science. Nautical Technology etc), you may claim points (EOI) and upload the certificate when filing your VISA.

I mean, no need to assess the same thru AMSA and / or anybody.

Intend to move to Melbourne, by around mid Jan 2016.

Brgs,

Deepak

Edited by Capt Deepak
Grammatical mistake

Thanks DNP.

Since Jan 2013, i had been working ashore as Port Captain for Heavy lift / Project cargo.

Presently stationed in Dubai, UAE

AMSA had given me 8 years + experience in last 10 years, which includes my sailing, Marine Pilot (2009 - 2010) & as Port Captain.

When EOI was filed, i had opted for only 5/6 years as i don't want to run into trouble.

My employments were on contractual basis through out...

I feel that, it should not be a concerned whether your employment is on contract or permanent basis.

Anybody who had sailed for about 6 months in a year, will be able to justify it to the CO.

I just want to address one more point.

No need to assess of your Marine related Master or Bachelors degree (Nautical Science. Nautical Technology etc), you may claim points (EOI) and upload the certificate when filing your VISA.

I mean, no need to assess the same thru AMSA and / or anybody.

Intend to move to Melbourne, by around mid Jan 2016.

Brgs,

Deepak

Excellent info, congratulations again Capt Deepak.

Dear sir ,

thanks for the info , i have got my booking done ..

Best of Luck Jikku,

You were lucky to get the appointment for your Medicals, at short notice.

It takes about a day to receive the report. You need to hand carry the original Medical report for the Oral Exam.

I hope you got your Medical booked on 27th / 28th July?

Hi all, below is an extract of my conversation with capt deepak on pm. Basically, I was asking him on how he managed to record and claim his contractual sea service. The below explains how one could go about it, you could say it is tried and tested.

Thanks to him for allowing me to share it on the forum.

//

Even i had those hiccups and that's the reason i filed my VISA thru an Agent.

My agent was also not sure about that sea service part and i had guided him to file it from the day i joined as junior mate (2002) to the time i was kicked out from sailing (2013).

See, VISA rejection is not very easy for the CO.

I means they are answerable, for their stand in rejecting a VISA.

If at all the CO ask for a justification; say "why you had included your off time / examination periods?"

All you have to explain to the CO - give the work schedule on board 24/7 and quote some STCW or company manual of the working hours.

Also your collage & examination duration. Our service Includes time spent on "Training & Qualification" as well.

//Send all as attachment - upload + email//

//

Hi all, below is an extract of my conversation with capt deepak on pm. Basically, I was asking him on how he managed to record and claim his contractual sea service. The below explains how one could go about it, you could say it is tried and tested.

Thanks to him for allowing me to share it on the forum.

//

Even i had those hiccups and that's the reason i filed my VISA thru an Agent.

My agent was also not sure about that sea service part and i had guided him to file it from the day i joined as junior mate (2002) to the time i was kicked out from sailing (2013).

See, VISA rejection is not very easy for the CO.

I means they are answerable, for their stand in rejecting a VISA.

If at all the CO ask for a justification; say "why you had included your off time / examination periods?"

All you have to explain to the CO - give the work schedule on board 24/7 and quote some STCW or company manual of the working hours.

Also your collage & examination duration. Our service Includes time spent on "Training & Qualification" as well.

//Send all as attachment - upload + email//

//

Please read as college!

Not sure if I can post this question here:

(1). What is AMSA alcohol policy, did come across state of Victoria page which mentions 0.0 BAC for commercial vessels.

(2). Is MOB. Distress or urgency. If I recall correctly, many vhf sets have an option of "MOB" in the designated distress mode. However, one such ausi page suggested otherwise-urgency. I do recall some info on the lines that it s distress once it is MOB, and changes over to urgency when the rescue boat is in the water / or the casualty is sighted.

Not sure if I can post this question here:

(1). What is AMSA alcohol policy, did come across state of Victoria page which mentions 0.0 BAC for commercial vessels.

(2). Is MOB. Distress or urgency. If I recall correctly, many vhf sets have an option of "MOB" in the designated distress mode. However, one such ausi page suggested otherwise-urgency. I do recall some info on the lines that it s distress once it is MOB, and changes over to urgency when the rescue boat is in the water / or the casualty is sighted.

There have been many discussions and theories on this and I believe that there is no real right or wrong answer. I had this discussion with the Master that I work opposite. He thinks Pan Pan I reckon it should be Mayday

The definition of a 'distress' is grave and imminent danger, and 'urgency' is that there is no immediate danger to life. I think if that someone falls over the side then there is grave and imminent danger.

As long as you can justify your answer when the examiner asks you 'why' then you will be ok as long as your justification is sensible.

It's easier for Coastguard and other vessels or aircraft involved in the SAR for a ship to downgrade to pan pan than to upgrade to mayday. That is my thoughts on it anyway.

Regarding the alcohol, I was unable to find the legal limit for international shipping, I would err on the side of caution and say 0.00.

There have been many discussions and theories on this and I believe that there is no real right or wrong answer. I had this discussion with the Master that I work opposite. He thinks Pan Pan I reckon it should be Mayday

The definition of a 'distress' is grave and imminent danger, and 'urgency' is that there is no immediate danger to life. I think if that someone falls over the side then there is grave and imminent danger.

As long as you can justify your answer when the examiner asks you 'why' then you will be ok as long as your justification is sensible.

It's easier for Coastguard and other vessels or aircraft involved in the SAR for a ship to downgrade to pan pan than to upgrade to mayday. That is my thoughts on it anyway.

Regarding the alcohol, I was unable to find the legal limit for international shipping, I would err on the side of caution and say 0.00.

Makes sense what you say. Will see if I get the opportunity to tackle these questions :)

It does worry me how some people can't see the severity in some situations. The aviation industry has well ahead in the 'mayday' aspect, where they will call the mayday first, figure out whats going on next, and then decide whether they actually need to remain a mayday or downgrade afterwards.

It does worry me how some people can't see the severity in some situations. The aviation industry has well ahead in the 'mayday' aspect, where they will call the mayday first, figure out whats going on next, and then decide whether they actually need to remain a mayday or downgrade afterwards.

I think it dates back to years gone by when a MOB was a designated as PanPan regardless. The older generation (the Captain opposite me was a cadet with Noah) still have it in their heads and won't deviate from it.

A few last minute surprises!!

For the initial AMSA assessment, I remember submitting certified copies of (As mentioned in the assssment form):

midical care

adv fire fighting

prof in surv and rescue boat

SSO - security.

will they require the basic STCW training courses for verification(personal surv tech/elementary first aid/prof fire fighting). As I just realised these certificates are back in India and not sure if I can get them delvered to me in singaoore in time to take them along to Perth next week.

For that matter, having the advanced courses would prove the basic were done anyways.

Any in sights.

panic time !!!!! :arghh::arghh:

A few last minute surprises!!

For the initial AMSA assessment, I remember submitting certified copies of (As mentioned in the assssment form):

midical care

adv fire fighting

prof in surv and rescue boat

SSO - security.

will they require the basic STCW training courses for verification(personal surv tech/elementary first aid/prof fire fighting). As I just realised these certificates are back in India and not sure if I can get them delvered to me in singaoore in time to take them along to Perth next week.

For that matter, having the advanced courses would prove the basic were done anyways.

Any in sights.

panic time !!!!! :arghh::arghh:

Give the AMSA exam office a call and explain it to them.

You will still need the certificates as they are required, regardless of whether you have the advanced ones, it doesn't actually prove you have done the others. Don't worry too much, they will most likely just say that they will not issue the certificate of recognition until you they have seen the others.

I think it dates back to years gone by when a MOB was a designated as PanPan regardless. The older generation (the Captain opposite me was a cadet with Noah) still have it in their heads and won't deviate from it.

Amen to that, I had the same thing in my AMSA orals, and I answered with MAYDAY only to be told, "I'd go PAN PAN as you can always escalate later", I of course just nodded and smiled but it's contrary to everything I've ever been taught on ship's of any type.

Amen to that, I had the same thing in my AMSA orals, and I answered with MAYDAY only to be told, "I'd go PAN PAN as you can always escalate later", I of course just nodded and smiled but it's contrary to everything I've ever been taught on ship's of any type.

At the end of the day it's the Master's decision.

I'd rather explain why I called a Mayday than why I didn't!

Best of Luck Jikku,

You were lucky to get the appointment for your Medicals, at short notice.

It takes about a day to receive the report. You need to hand carry the original Medical report for the Oral Exam.

I hope you got your Medical booked on 27th / 28th July?

Hello sir ..oh yes ...they wer kind enough to give me an appointment and i also got at Port botany in sydney and its really close to the place im planning to stay ..I have got the booking on 28th 9 AM .and orals on 30th ..

Hi Capt. Deepak..

I had got 8yrs work experience on the AMSA assessment letter, however when I filled out the dates of joining and leaving a company in the EOI I fell into the 5-8 yr category which I actually didnt expect. I fell short by around 2 months even though I have been working as an officer since 2004 with only a 18 month break from sailing in between.

My question is can I show the months I was home when switching Companies as work exp? Im talking about 3 months time which is normal leave duration. Also this will not reflect in the Company letters as they will issue me employment guarantee only from signing on their first ship to signing off their last ship?