Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Is that 18 months sea time or time employed?

I think many on this forum get confused with sea time and time in employment.

There have been cases where an applicant has been asked about sea time by DIBP, however these are generally people who work contract by contract and are technically unemployed in between trips at sea, in which case I would recommend that these people should seek assistance from a registered migration agent.

Those who are fully employed by a company should count from the day that their employment began to the day it ended and not get caught up in the whole sea time issue which only serves to confuse things more.

Hope this helps.

I have been employed with the same company from 2008 ( from cadet time ) . the sea time is ( 18 months as cadet + 18 months as 3rd mate ) .

Im attending the amsa orals on july 30 2015 .

Will Amsa issue a new assessment letter if we increase our experience after the Cor orals ?

I have been employed with the same company from 2008 ( from cadet time ) . the sea time is ( 18 months as cadet + 18 months as 3rd mate ) .

Will Amsa issue a new assessment letter if we increase our experience after the Cor orals ?

Probably will do if you pay another assessment fee...

was anyone able to obtain 15 points for the Bsc Nautical Science degree ( Bachelors ) awarded by IGNOU university , India / Mumbai University ? .

I was awarded 3 qualifications ( Diploma , Advance Diploma and Bsc in Nautical Science ) by IGNOU Uni after we completed 2nd Mates COC from India .

IGNOU is a reputed university which mostly conducts distance learning program .

was anyone able to obtain 15 points for the Bsc Nautical Science degree ( Bachelors ) awarded by IGNOU university , India / Mumbai University ? .

I was awarded 3 qualifications ( Diploma , Advance Diploma and Bsc in Nautical Science ) by IGNOU Uni after we completed 2nd Mates COC from India .

IGNOU is a reputed university which mostly conducts distance learning program .

You will get 15 points for BSC.Nautical Science. Mine was BSC Nautical Technology that fetched me 15 points.

You will get 15 points for BSC.Nautical Science. Mine was BSC Nautical Technology that fetched me 15 points.

Thank you sevenseas....its a good news ,,,,,

Do we need to do any assessment for the BSC Nautical science ?

or can we just submit the certificate during the immigration process ?

Edited by Jikku Abraham

You'll probably be ok. See what AMSA's opinion on your sea service is.

Thank you sevenseas....its a good news ,,,,,

Do we need to do any assessment for the BSC Nautical science ?

or can we just submit the certificate during the immigration process ?

No assessment necessary, just upload on immiaccount. You must state your intention on the EOI first though.

This is beyond my understanding. Apparently, any foreign degree need to be assessed. I thought VETASSESS or some other authority may be required. OR

There might be some exemption rule which I am not aware of

OR

Case Officer might let go the need for assessment at their own.

Someone might help me make a clear picture on this.

No assessment necessary, just upload on immiaccount. You must state your intention on the EOI first though.

Edited by Chief Mate S

This is beyond my understanding. Apparently, any foreign degree need to be assessed. I thought VETASSESS or some other authority may be required. OR

There might be some exemption rule which I am not aware of

The skills or occupational experience/competency needs to be assessed, for us, by AMSA.

If a person has a bachelors degree or higher then they can just upload the transcript to DIBP. It is nothing to do with the skills assessment which is mandatory anyway.

Practically, I would tend to rely on what Capt C said.

However, this is from http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

"The relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.

If the relevant assessing authority that conducts your skills assessment cannot give you an opinion about your qualifications, contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services."

The skills or occupational experience/competency needs to be assessed, for us, by AMSA.

If a person has a bachelors degree or higher then they can just upload the transcript to DIBP. It is nothing to do with the skills assessment which is mandatory anyway.

Practically, I would tend to rely on what Capt C said.

However, this is from http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/189-

"The relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation can usually determine whether your qualifications are of a standard that is comparable to a relevant Australian qualification.

If the relevant assessing authority that conducts your skills assessment cannot give you an opinion about your qualifications, contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services."

You're absolutely right there Chief Mate S. I had a think about it and recall something being mentioned on the skills assessment letter saying that no higher than an advanced diploma would be accepted or words to that effect.

Yes, If we can get it.

The cost of application and time involved demands that one has to be sure of what he is claiming.

Very true. It's a bad idea to make things complicated. Take the path of least resistance and be very sure enough to bet your life on it that the points you claim will stand.

Regarding work experience, you may not get all the experience mentioned in the AMSA assessment letter. AMSA gave me 8 yrs, however when I submitted EOI I fell into 5-8 yrs category. This is because AMSA states the total work experience in the maritime industry, whereas DIBP calculates work experience in the last 10 yrs only.

Regarding qualification- AMSA assessment letter specifically mentions ''Austalian qualification equivalent for Ships Master, Chief Officers, Chief Engineers and 2nd Engineers is an Advanced Diploma and equivalent for Deck Watchkeeper and Engineer Watch keeper is Diploma. Requests for higher qualifications cannot be granted."

Regarding work experience, you may not get all the experience mentioned in the AMSA assessment letter. AMSA gave me 8 yrs, however when I submitted EOI I fell into 5-8 yrs category. This is because AMSA states the total work experience in the maritime industry, whereas DIBP calculates work experience in the last 10 yrs only.

Regarding qualification- AMSA assessment letter specifically mentions ''Austalian qualification equivalent for Ships Master, Chief Officers, Chief Engineers and 2nd Engineers is an Advanced Diploma and equivalent for Deck Watchkeeper and Engineer Watch keeper is Diploma. Requests for higher qualifications cannot be granted."

Something must have changed then because AMSA calculated mine for last ten years, and it was identical to the DIBP calculation.

Dear Sirs ,

Can someone help me about . how to do the medical booking during the orals ?

And the fees for medical ?

Im scheduled for Amsa orals for July 30th 2015 .

Arriving sydney on 27th morning and departure on 31st morning .

Kindly advice about the whole thing

thanks

Dear Sirs ,

thanks

You need to call the booking line, quickly! You must do the medical before the orals.

Dear Sirs ,

thanks

Call this number +611300 244 792 (medibank) requesting for a AMSA medical examination. They will guide you with the process. I suggest you keep your credit card handy for the payment.