Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Ah just when I thought it was all simple from here on out, thanks for the heads up though. I'd still have 60 points anyway without that so its not a big deal, but I figure I've put that down in good faith based on what AMSA have said so I can't really be penalised too badly for it. We shall just have to see I guess.

You wouldn't necessarily get penalised, but if your points drop below 60 as a result of over-claim when you complete the actual visa application then they can just refuse your application and you lose the fee etc. In your case you can afford to drop those 5, as long as you have a 'strong' 60 pts to start with.

If you browse the forum there's a lot of people that have been refused as a result of over claiming for employment. Probably a lot more than is actually posted (I don't think I'd tell anyone if I'd been refused!) it's pretty standard that only post qualification is counted. I'm surprised that AMSA said that to be honest, but I suppose each application is unique so there may be a good reason for them to do it like that.

Hmmmm, sage advice as always CaptainC, might be a safer bet to sit back on 60 points and just go from there. Jolly confusing as to why AMSA would say 3 years though.

Not to worry though. Just been looking ahead at the required paperwork for the application, is it true that you have to have all the documents you send certified by a notary or similar? That's potentially very annoying!

Hmmmm, sage advice as always CaptainC, might be a safer bet to sit back on 60 points and just go from there. Jolly confusing as to why AMSA would say 3 years though.

Not to worry though. Just been looking ahead at the required paperwork for the application, is it true that you have to have all the documents you send certified by a notary or similar? That's potentially very annoying!

I didn't get anything certified, but only because I saw many other posts by people who also didn't.

Colour scans of original documents seem to be the way to go, but as for me I'm waiting for a grant/case officer so I cant yet give any accurate info on that from personal experience.

I didn't get anything certified, but only because I saw many other posts by people who also didn't.

Colour scans of original documents seem to be the way to go, but as for me I'm waiting for a grant/case officer so I cant yet give any accurate info on that from personal experience.

Thanks for the advice once more! Had a read through that thread, so thanks for that. So the basic problem with over claiming is that if DIBP don't agree then they'll remove the points you can't prove? But if you still make the 60 point cut when they remove those points then you don't get your application cancelled?

Thanks for the advice once more! Had a read through that thread, so thanks for that. So the basic problem with over claiming is that if DIBP don't agree then they'll remove the points you can't prove? But if you still make the 60 point cut when they remove those points then you don't get your application cancelled?

Basically yeah. I'm pretty sure that's how they do it.

As an aside, I see a lot of people around the forum worried about their professions being removed from the SOL. Given the state of the industry out here I wonder if they'll be chopping us. We're not on the flagged occupation list though. Thoughts anyone?

As an aside, I see a lot of people around the forum worried about their professions being removed from the SOL. Given the state of the industry out here I wonder if they'll be chopping us. We're not on the flagged occupation list though. Thoughts anyone?

Six months ago I'd have said that it's unlikely, now I'm not so sure. Get your application submitted before 1st July just to be on the safe side. Once you're in the system it doesn't matter if the occupation gets the chop!

If it gets removed its roughly 5-7 years before it comes back and even then it's not guaranteed.

It hasn't been flagged as you say but they can add and remove anything without notice. Better to be safe than sorry, get that application in now!!

cheers! I'm glad that most of the hoops are jumped through.

I'll have the application in before the end of today methinks, better safe than sorry I imagine. It's all rather volatile isn't it!

Yeah, but this happens every year, a pure panic sweeps throughout the site and after 1st July, it's business as usual!

Admittedly though the CSOL tends to be behind the curve. Also, the CSOL isn't really an indication of demand. In my personal opinion, is is more an indication of jobs where it be beneficial to flood the market and reduce salaries in the process, but I could just be cynical.

My brother got his VISA grant on 16th June, I thinks they haven't stopped issuing VISA (Subclass 189).

Applied VISA (189) on 18th April 2015

Excellent, congratulations to your brother.

Is he also Ship's Master?

Edited by CaptainC

Finally booked my orals for 23-July/Fremantle. How long does the medical examination take, do we get the medical report/certificate on the same day. I believe, the medical examination needs to be done prior to the orals.

Finally booked my orals for 23-July/Fremantle. How long does the medical examination take, do we get the medical report/certificate on the same day. I believe, the medical examination needs to be done prior to the orals.

Hi dnp yes medicals need to be done prior to orals and you will get the report the next day .About 1-2 hrs. for medical.

Visa application successfully submitted today. That was painful on the wallet! Takes quite some time to upload all those documents as well doesn't it.

Annoyingly my Medical's didn't link through automatically, though I may just be impatient, and as completionist it bugs me that i have nothing to add into the "recommended" Australian work and qualification tabs. Ah well. Now we play the waiting game!

Visa application successfully submitted today. That was painful on the wallet! Takes quite some time to upload all those documents as well doesn't it.

Annoyingly my Medical's didn't link through automatically, though I may just be impatient, and as completionist it bugs me that i have nothing to add into the "recommended" Australian work and qualification tabs. Ah well. Now we play the waiting game!

Have you had your immigration Medicals already?

Well done completing the form it's a complete ball ache so deserves some praise!

Have you had your immigration Medicals already?

Well done completing the form it's a complete ball ache so deserves some praise!

Yeah I got them done earlier this month as I'll be back at sea by the time a CO gets allocated so it saves much heartache getting them done later. I figure that finding the time in New York would be too hard, and there's no one in Southampton to do them.