Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, just thought I would add my thoughts here. CaptainR is a friend and had helped me through the process. I sat my Orals in Perth in September and failed. I had a 2 hour long grilling on mainly bulk carriers which I have never worked on. Just resat today and had a different examiner also in Perth. Just scraped a pass after being in there for 2.5 hours.

This Oral is not a small undertaking. It's a big deal and a lot of preparation is needed if you want to succeed.

I have questions for those who want them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
thanx for the info sir,

how long does it take in australia to give orals and come back to india after going there on visitor visa.

Also please provide me with your email id.

If you are confident, a week is fine, if not take at least three so that you can resit. I went for 4 days and that worked out fine,

Hey Guys,

I had appeared for Masters Orals at Brisbane at the start of December, passed it. The questions were mainly focused on marine orders, navigation act and australian legislations (all information related to it can be found from amsa website).....I am presently looking for a job since I got my PR Visa in July this year. Wanted to get the Masters COR to help get a better job in australia. Any ideas, suggestions from ex-seafarers regarding job hunt would be highly appreciated.

Congratulations, I've only just seen both of your posts. Good luck with the job hunt.

• 2 weeks later...

him captain r …read your posts ..they are extremely informative…i am myself in the process for applying for a pr and just got my assessment …i am from engine side and sailing as chief engineer with certificate of competency from uk …needed some info about what they usually ask for cor of australia….also needed info as to whether we have to get our employment letters verified by amsa before submitting in eoi , as i thought the contract letters from shipping companies should be enough . will need your guidance n this …thanks again ...

him captain r …read your posts ..they are extremely informative…i am myself in the process for applying for a pr and just got my assessment …i am from engine side and sailing as chief engineer with certificate of competency from uk …needed some info about what they usually ask for cor of australia….also needed info as to whether we have to get our employment letters verified by amsa before submitting in eoi , as i thought the contract letters from shipping companies should be enough . will need your guidance n this …thanks again ...

I guess I landed here at the wrong time....whole of December had all of the offices shut down for Christmas and New Years, its just now that I see advertisements being posted for Deck Officers.

Any suggestions by anybody to point me at the right path for the job hunt. I have been looking at seek.com.au mostly, is there any other site(s) in particular that I am missing??? I have experience in LPG Tankers as Chief Officer and am in possession of Masters CoR.[/quote

most of the jobs r in offshore. One of my officers had same problem. he came with a Dp Basic course from india and got 30 days seatime and later did Advamced course. the follow up sea time of 6months, he reduced to 3 months by doin a Maersk simulation course from Europe..he got his Dp unlimited within 9months. Also Australian companies accept minimum Advanced course holders.The daily rates r approx 1200 per day as casual employee or around 200k+ annual for permanent for a 6months job.hope this helped.

I guess I landed here at the wrong time....whole of December had all of the offices shut down for Christmas and New Years, its just now that I see advertisements being posted for Deck Officers.

Any suggestions by anybody to point me at the right path for the job hunt. I have been looking at seek.com.au mostly, is there any other site(s) in particular that I am missing??? I have experience in LPG Tankers as Chief Officer and am in possession of Masters CoR.[/quote

most of the jobs r in offshore. One of my officers had same problem. he came with a Dp Basic course from india and got 30 days seatime and later did Advamced course. the follow up sea time of 6months, he reduced to 3 months by doin a Maersk simulation course from Europe..he got his Dp unlimited within 9months. Also Australian companies accept minimum Advanced course holders.The daily rates r approx 1200 per day as casual employee or around 200k+ annual for permanent for a 6months job.hope this helped.

hey ozzymaster !!!! sent you a pm….kindly reply…thanks

Good day CaptainR, I just read your message about doing your oral exam, you were offering to say what question they asked, could you please share? I have an Italian STCW and looking to to the oral exam, but really have no idea on the sujcet to study and what kind of exam to aspect. Thank you in advance for your help.

I worked through the syllabus and studied pretty intensively, the exam was over an hour and covered considerably more then the syllabus with two examiners in the room. Was asked about Marine Orders, Marine Notices, Navigation Act 2012, delegated legislation, international conventions, contract law, H&S law, Maritime Labour Convention, bulk carriers and cargo (have never sailed on a bulk carrier) and a very thorough section on rules and buoys. It was definitely tougher then anticipated. There is a guy in Western Australia who does Orals prep, I didn't use him but can provide details if you like.I also expect to take a step or two back in terms of rank in Oz, particularly as I don't have a great deal of offshore experience. But really not too worried, as I'm still in my late twenties.

hello,

good to have this site as I was not able to find any info... ur experience of orals was good.. can You please pass me info regarding the guy who does prepare for orals.

There is a sight called oil australia they seems to promising job options..

regards

Sachin

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Just Sent my forms for the verification. now for the long wait.

myself, sailing as chief officer on oil and gas carriers and holding Master's COC from UK.

Was wondering.......that i am thinking, isn't it would be more advantageous to join some kind of classes or some place to get access to books and stuff. i remember back in UK, in the college we had this register where everyone whoever used to go through the orals used to write the questions. that kind of info would be really helpful here.

Looking for the guy who does the classes.

Lets see how it turns out.

Best regards

baggi

Hello,

I wll be applying for the verification and wll be prepare

For the same. Around when you are planning to appear,

I recon wll be around may. Perth is the place where the

Classes are there.

Sachin prakash

Sorry for the delay in replying, the details I received were from the Challenger Institute of Technology in WA, the guy that does the Orals Prep is called Peter Aplin and used to charge A$70/per hour.

In the end I didn't use him, I have a British CoC which involves a fairly similar oral, but of course read the MO's and Nav Act cover to cover and went through the AMSA website in line with the syllabus.

The work in Australia seems to be a strange market, work for those with DP experience is excellent, and also if you are available at short notice it seems to be fairly easy. Applying from overseas seems to achieve a lot less interest then to applying from actually within Australia.

After going over to Melbourne in December to get things setup, I have only just started pushing for work and have had a few bites but nothing definite yet. As was mentioned by some posters earlier in the thread, it definitely isn't a case of a deluge of work.

Good luck to everyone with the Orals, and congrats to other people who have been through it. Anyone who wants a copy of my AMSA Orals report (Masters CoR) please PM me, however I have also received requests for other orals including Engineers, and I am afraid I haven't done the Engineering exam...

Perhaps I will setup Deck Officer/Master CoR Orals classes once I get setup properly in Australia.

Hi, I am a Ship's Master currently living in the cold and windy UK. I was hoping to get some advice from someone in the know.

I have read the forum posts and have a couple of questions for anyone that has gone down the 189 visa route using Ship's Master as their skill.

Roughly how long does it take to process an AMSA skills recognition assessment providing I have all the right paperwork?

I am having difficulty getting a letter from my former employer regarding 12 months of sea time, basically they aren't answering any emails, nevertheless I still have 7.5 years in the last ten verified by former employers, but I'm worried that after the skills assessment I will still need to provide proof of employment to DIAC, is this the case or does the skills assessment suffice for the 189 application? If I don't have the letter then I don't have the required points. (I lose a few points by being in the 33-39 age group.)

Also, I don't really want my current employer to know of my intentions just yet until I have a solid application so I can't really ask them for a letter to AMSA. Will AMSA accept payslips to prove my employment for now?

On a similar topic, am I correct in my understanding that AMSA will not issue a CoR until I have PR? The reason I ask is that I can potentially go down a different visa route via my wife who is a New Zealander, but that visa only lets me get an indefinite renewable TR visa. I wonder if anybody has been sponsored via a 457 visa (which I believe is a TR visa) and has an Australian CoR.

lots of questions hidden in there somewhere, but I hope somebody may be able to pick them out and answer them for me.

Edited by CaptainC
Adding signature

Perhaps you could get the letter detailing your sea time unaddressed from your employer and tell them it's for enrolment on a course etc, I provided my employer with the letter in word format unaddressed and asked them go do the same. Slightly sneaky, but like most of us here we don't want to create unnecessary ripples at work.