Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Congrats to those who got their invitations! I continue to wait. The current AMSA timeline is 3 months for processing Migration Assessments apparently, so touch wood I should hear something by the 20th.

Thanks pashton86,

Sorry to hear that you have to wait so long, it was only about a 28 day wait last year, and also took only 28 days for my final assessment to come back. Must be a busy time of the year or something. Fingers crossed you get it soon.

Any idea what the hold up was?

Best get studying!!! Good luck!

Well as discussed it took the MCA over a month to confirm my tickets which didn't help, and then AMSA claimed to have a backlog, which seems very odd considering how few people apply for this category according to the DIBP list. Not to worry though I have it now and I'm up to my elbows in Marine Orders and AHP 20. Should cover the Australian factor methinks. There shouldn't be anything too wacky coming up as it's only OOW level anyway.

Well as discussed it took the MCA over a month to confirm my tickets which didn't help, and then AMSA claimed to have a backlog, which seems very odd considering how few people apply for this category according to the DIBP list. Not to worry though I have it now and I'm up to my elbows in Marine Orders and AHP 20. Should cover the Australian factor methinks. There shouldn't be anything too wacky coming up as it's only OOW level anyway.

Oh yeah, my bad, I remember the conversation now. Still, I have no idea why it took so long, bizarre!

AHP20 is excellent. I bought it and quickly realised that it was the best publication for the Orals.

Looking at all the papers, I reckon that 99% of the Orals have a question about the 'PIC', the 'HSR' and issuing a PIN, also 'Duty of Care' in relation to OH&S seems to come up a lot. If you know these things, the basics of the MO's and your general second mate stuff then you'll smash it.

Oh yeah, my bad, I remember the conversation now. Still, I have no idea why it took so long, bizarre!

AHP20 is excellent. I bought it and quickly realised that it was the best publication for the Orals.

Looking at all the papers, I reckon that 99% of the Orals have a question about the 'PIC', the 'HSR' and issuing a PIN, also 'Duty of Care' in relation to OH&S seems to come up a lot. If you know these things, the basics of the MO's and your general second mate stuff then you'll smash it.

I wish I'd had AHP20 when I did my orals, I only discovered it once I arrived here and was on a ship on the Aussie Coast. Great publication.

HI Guys

I am an Ex Captain and like most of us here, am applying under 189. Cleared IELTS (7.5) and have submitted my application for assessment. I have various queries and thank God to find this Blog. I have applied under Ships Captain/ Master but 1 have 2 years as Marine Superintendent Experience and have no clue how to go about that. I realized after I sent my application, that these 2 years will not be counted in my assessment. I wrote to AMSA regarding the issue, but they said it depends on the Principle officer and shall ask for docs if required.

My Master experience is too short so does it matter whether I have 2 years in command or just few months.

Does any one has a case similar to mine or can share any info. I am totally confused on this first stage, let alone the further proceedings.

I have contacted various consultants, no one has an info, mostly just did not respond.

Please help.

Hi

M new to Blog.

Pls advise how and where can I buy it.

Rgds

RDS

Go to the Australian Hydrographic Service website and search the nearest chart agent to you.

I contacted a chart agent in the UK and received my copy within a couple of days.

HI Guys

I am an Ex Captain and like most of us here, am applying under 189. Cleared IELTS (7.5) and have submitted my application for assessment. I have various queries and thank God to find this Blog. I have applied under Ships Captain/ Master but 1 have 2 years as Marine Superintendent Experience and have no clue how to go about that. I realized after I sent my application, that these 2 years will not be counted in my assessment. I wrote to AMSA regarding the issue, but they said it depends on the Principle officer and shall ask for docs if required.

My Master experience is too short so does it matter whether I have 2 years in command or just few months.

Does any one has a case similar to mine or can share any info. I am totally confused on this first stage, let alone the further proceedings.

I have contacted various consultants, no one has an info, mostly just did not respond.

Please help.

I have two years of command also. It doesn't factor into the calculation at all. The time calculated is the time that you have worked either as a master, officer or in a closely related occupation.

There are many with Master's tickets that have never sailed in command and have successfully applied, and been granted visas.

If I were you then I'd wait until you see what AMSA come back with before you worry about it.

I have two years of command also. It doesn't factor into the calculation at all. The time calculated is the time that you have worked either as a master, officer or in a closely related occupation.

There are many with Master's tickets that have never sailed in command and have successfully applied, and been granted visas.

If I were you then I'd wait until you see what AMSA come back with before you worry about it.

There's a good possibility that Marine Superintendent will be counted as a closely related occupation. But as with everything visa related it is up to the visa case officer ultimately,

I think you should try to get the experience as superintendent assessed by AMSA along with your other experience. If AMSA gives accredits your experience, then I don't see any problem. Capt C has given a good idea about closely related occupation.

HI Guys

Please help.

There's a good possibility that Marine Superintendent will be counted as a closely related occupation. But as with everything visa related it is up to the visa case officer ultimately,

Firstly thanks for the advise and support.

I have already submitted for seatime assessment and although have not submitted the assisting docs for Superintendent, i did send a query later for Suptd work assessment. As of now have been told to wait until they come back asking for more info.

Just waiting for the outcome.

Thanks Capt C for the info on the AH20 pubs.

Catch up with you guys soon.

I had requested for Police Clearance Certificate from Denmark and Marshall Islands since my ships were registered with them. By Gods grace I have received PCC from Denmark today. Marshall Islands is still awaited.I might instead submit a Statutory Declaration along with the proof that I have tried to obtain PCC from Marshall Islands.

Marshall Islands! They do not even pickup phone and no email address is given.

I had requested for Police Clearance Certificate from Denmark and Marshall Islands since my ships were registered with them. By Gods grace I have received PCC from Denmark today. Marshall Islands is still awaited.I might instead submit a Statutory Declaration along with the proof that I have tried to obtain PCC from Marshall Islands.