Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Hi Abbyfaz,

Welcome to the forum!

I would say that your original invite would most likely not be valid now as I'm sure it is only valid for three years.....could be wrong but maybe. It will almost certainly be expired if you have revalidated your British CoC, as it is all based on that primary certification.

Your best bet would be to contact AMSA. if you send me a PM I can give you a contact email address.

I don't really understand the question about the degree. However, you must do the skills assessment via AMSA and that will say that you have the equivalent of an Advanced Diploma and that no other qualification will be accepted. But, if you have a degree, then you may put that forward to immigration instead of the assessed competency, which will gain you 15 points rather than 10.

Steer clear of the 457, it is a temp visa and if you leave the employer then you have to look for a new sponsor or leave the country. PR is the way to go, in my opinion.

Regarding the orals papers, send me a PM with your email address and ill try to get those out to you today. Just about to board a flight but I should have the opportunity later.

Hi folks!

hope everyone is keeping well. I'm STILL awaiting the return of my documents from AMSA *sigh*. Still on a brighter note I got my IELTS back and that went well.

Reading -9

Speaking -9

writing -8.5

Listening - 9

So now the wait for AMSA continues, though honestly looking at the job prospects for a non-dpo 2nd Mate like me I'd have been as well just getting a partner visa in the first place.

Hi folks!

hope everyone is keeping well. I'm STILL awaiting the return of my documents from AMSA *sigh*. Still on a brighter note I got my IELTS back and that went well.

Reading -9

Speaking -9

writing -8.5

Listening - 9

So now the wait for AMSA continues, though honestly looking at the job prospects for a non-dpo 2nd Mate like me I'd have been as well just getting a partner visa in the first place.

Well done, that's an excellent score.

Well done, that's an excellent score.

Thanks Captain C, I was quite pleased.

On an unrelated note, I went into Sydney TAFE today to do a bit of networking, and investigate doing some Aussie tickets. Useful stuff, and if anyone on here isn't a Master and needs 2nd Mate Orals prep I have been gratefully gifted some by the head of the Maritime Section there. Just PM me if you need them.

Thanks Captain C, I was quite pleased.

On an unrelated note, I went into Sydney TAFE today to do a bit of networking, and investigate doing some Aussie tickets. Useful stuff, and if anyone on here isn't a Master and needs 2nd Mate Orals prep I have been gratefully gifted some by the head of the Maritime Section there. Just PM me if you need them.

That's excellent.

I'm still in the process of sorting this Dropbox thing out.

When I have it set up then if you wouldn't mind sending them to me then I can put all of the oral's prep material in one place for other candidates. I should then just be able to post the link and people can get all the resources that they need from there. I have some up to date study materials on there as well as some good links. Just finding the time in between running my ship and sleeping to finish it off is the problem!

That's excellent.

I'm still in the process of sorting this Dropbox thing out.

When I have it set up then if you wouldn't mind sending them to me then I can put all of the oral's prep material in one place for other candidates. I should then just be able to post the link and people can get all the resources that they need from there. I have some up to date study materials on there as well as some good links. Just finding the time in between running my ship and sleeping to finish it off is the problem!

I'll certainly send over what I've got. If you need any help setting stuff up let me know. I'm on extended leave from the company which shan't be named while I sorted out my immigration stuff so I'm just pottering about the house with the dog mostly, the casual work teaching people to drive boats has dried up now the winters set in.

I'll certainly send over what I've got. If you need any help setting stuff up let me know. I'm on extended leave from the company which shan't be named while I sorted out my immigration stuff so I'm just pottering about the house with the dog mostly, the casual work teaching people to drive boats has dried up now the winters set in.

I'll get it set up and then you can take a look and see what you think.

No apologies mate...we are all here to help each other, guess u right but m afraid as the letter from CO says as below:

CHARACTER REQUIREMENTS

Evidence of Character

In order to be granted a visa for entry to Australia you must meet the character test. BAURAI,AMIT must provide a police clearance certificate from each country where you have lived fora total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years, these 12 months are calculated cumulatively,not consecutively. Police clearances are also required from the flag state where vessels areregistered and you have served 12 months or more in the last 10 years, these 12 months are calculated cumulatively, not consecutively. Police Clearances are required from Italy andLiberia.

In addition, good conduct certificates are required from each vessel served.

Lets c, will give all the evidence of genuine attempt from my end, if m unable to obtain the reqd PCC,

cheers

I was going thru the posts and i found this "Good Conduct certificate are required from each vessel served"

Alarming! i must have sailed on, say 15-16 ships!

Is this certificates required?

Will the CO accept GCC letter from the company?:dull:

I was going thru the posts and i found this "Good Conduct certificate are required from each vessel served"

Alarming! i must have sailed on, say 15-16 ships!

Is this certificates required?

Will the CO accept GCC letter from the company?:dull:

This is the updated requirement, slightly different wording;

"What if I have been working on a ship?

If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment."

Thanks Captain Deepak and Captain C!

The watch keeping certificate generally mentions, "Conduct : Good". Will this certificate suffice the above requirement. Moreover, Conduct is mentioned as Good in Seaman Service Book as well.

I imagine that they would be ideal.

This is the updated requirement, slightly different wording;

"What if I have been working on a ship?

If you have spent a cumulative total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years working for the same employer on a merchant ship, cruise ship, private yacht or oil rig, you should request a police certificate from the relevant authority in the country under whose flag the ship sails, or country of ownership of the rig.

You will also need to provide a letter or statement of good conduct from the ship’s captain or company attesting to your character. The letter should include the vessel’s name, the job you had while on the ship or rig and the start and finish dates of employment."

Thanks Captain C,

Max sailing on British Flag vessels and i had applied for my PCC as well.

Regarding company sea service letter -

The ship name and the job title is be listed, apart from that

//During the above said period he was found strictly sober and diligent in carrying out his duties//

I guess, this should be good to go?

Hi Chief,

Yes, "conduct" is mentioned in the the watch keeping certificate.

I don't have it for my sailing period as Master. Technically, as Master you will be issuing your own certificate (Onboard).

Sober & Diligent should suffice.....

Hi Captain C,

Regarding EOI, we are on the same boat.

I had been opening the Immigration web site, almost every day; just to known the pattern and the EOI cut of date as on 24th April 2015.

The site is still not updated. Trust we will get the invitation on 8th May?

Any idea on the number of days / months it would normally take to grant VISA after apply (189)?

Off course all papers in order.

Hi Captain C,

Regarding EOI, we are on the same boat.

I had been opening the Immigration web site, almost every day; just to known the pattern and the EOI cut of date as on 24th April 2015.

The site is still not updated. Trust we will get the invitation on 8th May?

Any idea on the number of days / months it would normally take to grant VISA after apply (189)?

Off course all papers in order.

I'm fully expecting an invite on the 8th May.

Each case is different, immigration aim for 3 months.

Hi folks,

So I'm sitting here in the rain going through paperwork while wait on AMSA and I had a couple of questions for those of you who've been through the process.

Firstly, when completing AMSA form 419, it calculates your cost as you go, but from my reading this includes the cost of issue of you CoR for ticket and GMDSS, mines coming out at $630. Which also seems to include assessment of eligibility. Surely I'm not going to have to jump through the hoops of sending all the documentation back to them when they finally send me the letter?

The other thing I wondered was whether I'm going to have to take a separate immigration medical, or whether the AMSA medical covers this?

Cheers for the help chaps!

Hi folks,

So I'm sitting here in the rain going through paperwork while wait on AMSA and I had a couple of questions for those of you who've been through the process.

Firstly, when completing AMSA form 419, it calculates your cost as you go, but from my reading this includes the cost of issue of you CoR for ticket and GMDSS, mines coming out at $630. Which also seems to include assessment of eligibility. Surely I'm not going to have to jump through the hoops of sending all the documentation back to them when they finally send me the letter?

The other thing I wondered was whether I'm going to have to take a separate immigration medical, or whether the AMSA medical covers this?

I believe, you have already received initial assessment letter and you are planning for orals now. In this case, you should not check-mark the eligibility and total amount to be paid would come to AUD310 (COR COC 155+ COR GMDSS 155)

Hi folks,

You don't need to pay the eligibility assessment, mention this when you attend for Orals because that's when you'll hand in 419. You only have to pay for issue of CoR and GMDSS, which if I recall correctly is $155 each - totalling $310.

You will need immigration medical as well, AMSA medical doesn't cover it sadly.

You don't need to pay the eligibility assessment, mention this when you attend for Orals because that's when you'll hand in 419. You only have to pay for issue of CoR and GMDSS, which if I recall correctly is $155 each - totalling $310.

You will need immigration medical as well, AMSA medical doesn't cover it sadly.

Chaps as ever you're fountains of knowledge, thanks for the heads up! A couple more marine orders and I'm done for the day and off to the last night of the proms at the opera house!