Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Dear captain C,

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Thank you for you your great posts. I would like to share with you that i hold oow british coc. For the purpose of immi. had gone through the amsa assessment for certificate of recognition. In reply Amsa asked me to go through the seagoing medicals, continue competence course, amsa orals. My main concern is oral exam as i am not sure if orals for cert. of recognition are as through as fresh coc orals. if not then what the syllabus And looking for amsa oral prep. Material ....SOS plz , plz help. SOS...

Edited by rajvir

Dear captain C,

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Thank you for you your great posts. I would like to share with you that i hold oow british coc. For the purpose of immi. had gone through the amsa assessment for certificate of recognition. In reply Amsa asked me to go through the seagoing medicals, continue competence course, amsa orals. My main concern is oral exam as i am not sure if orals for cert. of recognition are as through as fresh coc orals. if not then what the syllabus And looking for amsa oral prep. Material ....SOS plz , plz help. SOS...

In general it is a full orals examination, but depends a lot on the examiner.

For example if you stumble on a simple question, then he will dig deeper and find how far your weaknesses go.

The syllabus is on AMSA website.

Send me your email in a private message and I will send you what I have by way of examination papers from past candidates.

Please share if anybody had to do AUD 1900 continued competence course of 2 days duration for the grant of cor in ship officer category

also if anyone holding notes, prep. material and questions for amsa orals for COR for OOW (2nd officer) ..

Please share if anybody had to do AUD 1900 continued competence course of 2 days duration for the grant of cor in ship officer category

also if anyone holding notes, prep. material and questions for amsa orals for COR for OOW (2nd officer) ..

You can complete the courses as specified in the Manila amendments in your own country so long as there is an agreement between the certifying flag state and Australia. The courses that form the continued competence are:

Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention;

Advanced Fire Fighting;

Personal Survival Techniques;

and Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats.

Dear captainn C,

Appretiate your kind and prompt response as always...

HAVING HARD TIME FINDING AMSA ORAL PREPARATION MATERIAL, EVEN ON LINE. PLZ PLZ PLZ HELP.

You'll just have to research it. Its an exam to test your competency so nobody here will spoon feed you. I've already sent you exam papers, it's up to you now.

It's all there on the AMSA website. Look in every menu on the website and read marine orders, marine notices, the Navigation Act 2012 and the fact sheets. Be guided by the syllabus, also on the AMSA website.

Edited by CaptainC

You'll just have to research it. Its an exam to test your competency so nobody here will spoon feed you. I've already sent you exam papers, it's up to you now.

It's all there on the AMSA website. Look in every menu on the website and read marine orders, marine notices, the Navigation Act 2012 and the fact sheets. Be guided by the syllabus, also on the AMSA website.

Don't neglect international regs such as SOLAS, MARPOL, STCW, COLREGS, MLC etc.

Here is a good list from the first post in this thread regarding prep material.

Useful Oral Prep/ Revision Material

AHP20 Seafarers Handbook for Australian Waters

AMSA code of safe working practices for Australian seafarers

Navigation Act 2012

Occupational Health and Safety (Maritime Industry) Act 1993

AMSA Marine Notices

AMSA Marine Orders

AMSA Website (Pollution, PSC, Environmentally Sensitive Areas, MLC etc)

MARPOL

SOLAS

As Captain C says, there is a lot of good info here. However you are applying for a CoR as a professional and should be capable of self research. Many people like myself have taken the exam without having access to previous orals, so with a few past papers and the list from the first post, it should be easy.

The Oral is just the first part of a long and challenging adventure. Good luck.

THANK YOU CAPTAIN R AND CAPTAIN C. LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS CHALLENGING ADVENTURE ....SURE WE ALL WILL SUCCEED.

HAVN'T SEEN DOONITE FOR A WHILE, HAS he got the grant?

WHAT'S HAPPENING TO FLAG STATE PCC HAVE THEY DROPPED DOWN OR WE STILL HAVE TO WASTE OUR TIME ON IT

Hi all,

Excellent thread, very useful to us all.

Now one thing I'm wondering in regards to points is about this

"Any other qualificationYou can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority."

So I got my OOW ticket in 2013, so unless AMSA are terribly kind and recognise my previous sea service with the Grey Funnel line (which the MCA didn't so I shan't be too hopeful) I'd need to get my Foundation Degree for the OOW course recognised. My reading of that quote is that it's up to AMSA, but will they do so as a matter of course, or do I need to prod them to notice it? Cheers for the advice chaps!

If anyone wants MASTER orals questions from Perth I have a lot as I did it twice! Also have pretty comprehensive Answers but please don't hold me responsible for incorrect answers. Send me your emails those who want them and I'll send them to you directly. Please note I DO not have engineering or 2nd Mates stuff...

Hi all,

Excellent thread, very useful to us all.

Now one thing I'm wondering in regards to points is about this

"Any other qualificationYou can receive 10 points for any other qualification or award which is recognised as suitable for your nominated occupation in your skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority."

So I got my OOW ticket in 2013, so unless AMSA are terribly kind and recognise my previous sea service with the Grey Funnel line (which the MCA didn't so I shan't be too hopeful) I'd need to get my Foundation Degree for the OOW course recognised. My reading of that quote is that it's up to AMSA, but will they do so as a matter of course, or do I need to prod them to notice it? Cheers for the advice chaps!

I'm not too sure on this. My understanding is that if you produce the degree then it will be recognised based on what it is. How it affects points or how DIBP will see it is a different matter. I'm sure that someone may be able to help you here but if not then it might be worth consulting a MARA registered migration agent.

So, just a warning for anyone considering moving out here at the moment. Due to the oil price, much of the oil and gas related projectts are slowing down, quite a lot of ships are leaving the coast to down man as it's too expensive to operate idle in Australia, this has a knock on effect through the industry. If you are planning to move over in the next 6 to 12 months then I'd recommend having work lined up first, or cash to see you through if you end up working at McDonalds waiting for things to pick up.

Well........since I started working in 2006 my generations entire existence seems to have been one long never ending recession, so it doesn't bother or worry me much.

Its been alright for the older generation whose houses, land and state benefits seem to go up in value regardless of the economic climate.

How long do you think it will take for things to pick up CaptainR?

Mcdonalds Australia here I come - another great stage in life!

But I agree with you its probably not a good idea to move unless you have a job or significant savings to see you through potential unemployment.

Edited by PWA200

Well........since I started working in 2006 my generations entire existence seems to have been one long never ending recession, so it doesn't bother or worry me much.

Its been alright for the older generation whose houses, land and state benefits seem to go up in value regardless of the economic climate.

How long do you think it will take for things to pick up CaptainR?

Mcdonalds Australia here I come - another great stage in life!

But I agree with you its probably not a good idea to move unless you have a job or significant savings to see you through potential unemployment.

We are probably not dissimilar in ages (I'm 30) and left the UK for similar reasons, I also feel that its harder now then previous generations.

As for my assessment of the market, well the Australian manned seagoing industry here involves a few bulkers, a few LNG ships (less and less though), two ferries (Spirit of Tasmania), and then the offshore oil and gas industry. The industry worldwide is taking a down turn, but the problem in Australia is that it is expensive to operate both in terms of crewing and red tape so many ships are heading to Singapore to sit idle with cheaper crews then staying on the coast. The knock on effect is felt throughout the industry in shore jobs, from surveying to pilotage, so its not as easy as it was last year. It's hard to say how long it will last, but its a worldwide concern. The price of oil is unsustainable, it needs to come back up to a level where production is financially viable.

Yes we are similar ages.........and appear to have left Uk for similar reasons.........sounds like Aus is screwed then............oh dear...............like you say the entire industry is taking a hammering. My previous employer sent out a message about potential redundancies yesterday.........and have banned cashing in leave......luckily I cashed my leave early and quit! Not sure why I'm still on their mailing list really! Always interesting to hear whats going on anyway......

Your analysis of aus sounds like UK (minus cruise ships)!

I will buy a cheap 4WD or van, and take a later life gap year around Australia, then see my days out in McDonalds (I'm not going back to Uk! Never!)

Not really sure about the price of oil being unsustainable at $50.........I thought most of Aus was gas anyway? I suppose the two prices are linked anyhow.

Edited by PWA200

Yes we are similar ages.........and appear to have left Uk for similar reasons.........sounds like Aus is screwed then............oh dear...............like you say the entire industry is taking a hammering. My previous employer sent out a message about potential redundancies yesterday.........and have banned cashing in leave......luckily I cashed my leave early and quit! Not sure why I'm still on their mailing list really! Always interesting to hear whats going on anyway......

Your analysis of aus sounds like UK (minus cruise ships)!

I will buy a cheap 4WD or van, and take a later life gap year around Australia, then see my days out in McDonalds (I'm not going back to Uk! Never!)

Not really sure about the price of oil being unsustainable at $50.........I thought most of Aus was gas anyway? I suppose the two prices are linked anyhow.

It would seem that your previous employer is my current 'star' employer....

I believe $50-$75 a barrel is where production is cost effective, reading the various business articles, and yes oil & gas pretty much linked.

It would seem that your previous employer is my current 'star' employer....

I believe $50-$75 a barrel is where production is cost effective, reading the various business articles, and yes oil & gas pretty much linked.

Yeah I suppose the offshore experience helps quite a lot in Aus................luckily I've got lots of that. I think it would be much higher risk to move to Aus without offshore and DP time.

I think $50-$75 is reasonable to be honest..........$120 was never particularly realistic............arabs building ski slopes in the desert! Clearly ridiculous!

And always remember, 'constant care' is how we will 'win in the storm' LOL :wink:

Some of the ports are quieter, the good ports of course always have a long queue of Master Mariners applying, whereas the more remote located jobs (except FIFO) are probably easier to get into but still expect command time and ideally have held a pilotage exemption.

Good Day Captain R and Captain A the threads are really helpful .

I have not started the application process or anything just initial stages.

I would like to know what are the possibilities of landing up on pilotage Jobs.

I am sailing as Master on Bulkers.

What are the possibilities of finding a job with the present market condition.

Also please forward the AMSA orals questions

Thanks