Ships Master / Ships Officer / Marine Pilot

CaptainR

Dear Capt. R.

Request your kind guidance with regards to years of experience. I understand for Ship's Masters and Chief Engineers AMSA gives maximum 8 years but their writing is he has at least 8 years of work experience in Maritime Industry. The problem is that they do not mention 8 years in last 10 years and that is my first doubt whether DIBP in your experience accepted the same for maximum experience. Second question is how did you put up your experience, how many points did you claim for your experience. Did you have all the 8 years and were all these 8 years in the rank of Master and if these were not in the rank of master did you put up the work experience in the junior ranks and were they accepted by DIBP. And the third and last question is did you put up only your rank experience or you did put up your leave period as well and if you put up your leave period how did you make it work out for DIBP. I shall be highly obliged for your kind reply. I also want to thank you for the step by step guidance you have provided as it is turning out to be a source of guidance for all of us, even for engineers like myself.

AET GUY, Congratulations Buddy. I have following queries and seek your kind advise.

Dear aet Guy,

Request your kind guidance with regards to years of experience. I understand for Engineers AMSA gives maximum 8 years but their writing is he has at least 8 years of work experience in Maritime Industry. The problem is that they do not mention 8 years in last 10 years and that is my first doubt whether DIBP in your experience accepted the same for maximum experience. Second question is how did you put up your experience, how many points did you claim for your experience. Did you have all the 8 years and were all these 8 years in the rank of Chief Engineer and if these were not in the rank of Chief Engineer did you put up the work experience in the junior ranks like 2nd Eng and 3rd Eng. and were they accepted by DIBP. And the third and last question is did you put up only your rank experience or you did put up your leave period as well and if you put up your leave period how did you make it work out for DIBP. I shall be highly obliged for your kind reply. Also can anyone who has gone through this process please guide me for the same.

Thanks to all of you for making contribution to this page.

Edited by Ramesh Bakuni

Hello everyone need to know if PCC for panama registered ships is required as its mentioned on panama site that non residents need to have a representive there or personally need to be there to get PCC.For Non-residents - a Certificate of Good Conduct cannot be obtained by mail. If you have a relative (up to fourth degree) living in Panama, you should arrange a power of attorney for that person to request and obtain the certificate on your behalf from the address above. such a thing is mentioned on its site and the never provide PCC through mail pls. help.

The issues regarding foreign PCC's for countries that we may never have been to is particularly disturbing. I hope that somebody at DIBP realises this soon and this requirement is dropped.

All I can suggest to applicants is to make the best efforts that you can to obtain such PCC's and save all of the email correspondence that you have undertaken and then if you can't obtain one then you have some evidence to provide to your case officer at the DIBP. Also, making a character statutory declaration (available on the DIBP website) which is written by an applicant before a legal professional, may go some way to pacify DIBP.

This is an expensive process as it is, especially with the requirement to travel to Australia to sit exams, without having additional issues with having to travel to Liberia, Panama or one of the other more obscure countries to obtain a PCC in person.....which is most likely impossible. The sooner DIBP drop this requirement, the better.

Can anyone please guide me through for my above querry with regards to the work experience letters as i do need the 15 points to reach a score of 60.

Ramesh,

If you have been in employment AFTER you obtained your FIRST certificate of competency then all of this time is counted.

Employment is nothing to do with sea time for the purposes of a visa application. It is only when you are employed as a employee of a company and does not matter whether you are home on leave or at sea. For example, if you started employment on the 1st January and sailed aboard a ship for 3 months on and 3 months off until 31st December then although you've only worked 6 months onboard a ship your employment time is 1 year.

Sea time is only counted for eligibility to obtain a certificate of recognition at a particular grade.

Sailing in a lower rank does not affect either the AMSA or DIBP application.

You cannot claim any employment time whilst sailing as a cadet/trainee/rating.

Hope this helps

Ramesh,

It would be helpful if you could let us know:

What your grade of CoC is?

How long you been in employment as an engineering officer since obtaining your first CoC?

How much sea time (as an engineering officer) do you have AFTER obtaining your first certificate of competency?

Ramesh,

It would be helpful if you could let us know:

What your grade of CoC is?

How long you been in employment as an engineering officer since obtaining your first CoC?

How much sea time (as an engineering officer) do you have AFTER obtaining your first certificate of competency?

Dear Capt. C.

Many thanks for your kind gesture of help and guidance.

I have Chief Engineer Unlimited from UK.

I started working as a 4th Engineer since 2003. I have 6 months as 4th Engineer. 14 months of sea time as 3rd Engineer 24 months of sea time as 2nd Engineer and 28 months of sea time as Chief Engineer. I have acquired this sea service by working with 5 companies out of which my first company where i worked as a chief engineer for 8 months has closed down their shutters, however they are still maintaining an office for presentation so they shall be able to give me the letters of experience.

So will the work with different companies effect the consideration of my experience by DIBP. Secondly can DIBP challenge the work experience of 8 years mentioned by AMSA in the letter which is substantiated by the work experience letters from the companies.

Thanking you for your guidance.

Dear Capt. C.

Many thanks for your kind gesture of help and guidance.

I have Chief Engineer Unlimited from UK.

I started working as a 4th Engineer since 2003. I have 6 months as 4th Engineer. 14 months of sea time as 3rd Engineer 24 months of sea time as 2nd Engineer and 28 months of sea time as Chief Engineer. I have acquired this sea service by working with 5 companies out of which my first company where i worked as a chief engineer for 8 months has closed down their shutters, however they are still maintaining an office for presentation so they shall be able to give me the letters of experience.

So will the work with different companies effect the consideration of my experience by DIBP. Secondly can DIBP challenge the work experience of 8 years mentioned by AMSA in the letter which is substantiated by the work experience letters from the companies.

Thanking you for your guidance.

From your message it seems that you have more than the requirement.

Working for different employers has no effect on time in employment.

I think you're worrying over nothing.

If you are confident, a week is fine, if not take at least three so that you can resit. I went for 4 days and that worked out fine,

CaptainR , hi this is nirmal. I m applying for the skill assessments to AMSA too. Could you tell me how many past ships experience needs to be filled in 'sea service details' since I have been sailing for last 14 years.

CaptainR , hi this is nirmal. I m applying for the skill assessments to AMSA too. Could you tell me how many past ships experience needs to be filled in 'sea service details' since I have been sailing for last 14 years.

I would just take the time and fill in all. Should probably not exceed 100 Entries in your discharge book, and far less for a deep sea sailor I would imagine.

Gents/Ladies,

I am getting a lot of requests from people asking for study materials for Orals.

I have been asked by many to send additional things such as MO's, fact sheets and other items. I cannot guarantee the accuracy or if it is outdated or has been superseded.

I'm afraid there is no easy route to an orals pass as you should know already, likewise there are no exam centres that are 'easier' than others. It takes long hours of studying documents and books, keeping up to date with new legislation, and ensuring that you are competent to hold the certificate, not just 'good at passing exams'.

So on this basis I will not be sending out any more of this type of 'study materials' as I cannot accept responsibility for any poor or out of date information. However, I will continue to send orals reports that I have received from other orals candidates so that you may get an idea of the type and format of questions that examiners ask.

If anybody has any orals reports that they could also send me so I may build up an archive to send to other candidates then please PM me and I will be appreciative to accept them.

Thanks.

Hi CaptainC,

Would you mind pm'ing over to me any orals reports which you have?

Thankyou :)

Jimmy

Edited by noworriesmate
removed email as per forum rules

Hi everyone.

Iam new to this forum but really glad to have found like minded fellas. I have recently applied for AMSA assessment and await their call to fly to OZ. The efforts put by some of the members here is remarkable and information is really very helpful. Just curious about Police certificates from flag States. Can anyone clarify till what period they are to be attached to the EOI and has anyone got them from flag States like Hongkong or Singapore.

Thank you for all the help

Hii there,

I know it's a big task, trying for Liberian PCC, I have already detailed all the efforts, I was also asked to fill in the Character Statutory Declaration. Awaiting decision....

Cheers,

amit

hi mr amit,

I too am facing problem with the Liberian PCC..can u pls guide me regarding the same & did u have any success....Thanks..

Dear captain r,

thank you for you helpful posts including the one quoted. I would like to share with you that i hold oow british coc and have gone through the amsa assessment for certificate of recognition. Amsa asked me to go through the medicals, continue competence course, amsa orals. My main concern is oral exam. And looking for amsa oral prep. Material ....plz help.

has anyone on here gone through the migrant visa process for this occupation? Any advice?does anyone know about the job market for ships officers, maybe in the offshore sector?. Looking forward to hearing from anyone in the know.

--------------------

updated post: 08/06/2014

timeline:

25 feb 2013 – started requesting letters from my previous employers

15 apr 2013 - submitted amsa cor application by courier

17 apr 2013 – amsa started processing my application

28 may 2013 – amsa issued letter to sit oral (by e-mail)

06 july 2013 – ielts exam

05 aug 2013 – arrived perth/fremantle

06 aug 2013 – amsa checked original documents

07 aug 2013 – amsa medical

08 aug 2013 – amsa oral at fremantle office

09 aug 2013 – departed perth

20 aug 2013 – amsa issued immigration verification letter (pdf)

20 aug 2013 – submitted eoi

01 sep 2013 – invited to apply for visa

04 sep 2013 – applied for 189 visa

02 nov 2013 – grant notification

documents uploaded

we received an immediate grant with these documents. No contact from the case officer.

main applicant

passport

birth certificate

ielts

amsa skill assessment (letter showing qualification+employment time)

employment letters

work/ship id cards (old ones)

police clearance certificates

overseas qualifications and license (hnd nautical science/mca masters ticket)

resume

form 80

wife

passport

birth certificate

marriage license

ielts

police clearances

form 80

son

passport

birth certificate

step daughter

passport birth certificate

annullment decree (sole custody to my wife)

affadvit from 2010 showing no known wherabouts of ex-husband

statutory declaration from sep 2013 saying still no known wherabouts of ex-husband.

frequently asked questions

where can i get orals prep?

The challenger institute of technology in western australia recommended peter aplin, he was charging a$70/per hour for prep.

Is the oral only based australian law?

No, based on my oral experience and feedback from others, the oral is comprehensive and covers everything on the syllabus in detail. I found it similar to my original british mca oral including legal questions in relation to the amsa marine notices, marine orders and regulations. Rules, buoys, manouevering, imo regs, cargo work etc were all covered.

Do i have to do an oral before getting the skill assessment?

Yes

do i need to get a positive skill assessment before applying for the eoi?

Yes

do i get my cor after taking the oral?

No, only a skill assessment letter. The cor is only issued once you have the visa and have submitted proof to amsa.

Does the skill assessment letter from amsa deduct periods of leave when counting the entire period of employment?

No, if you have been working at sea for 8 years on a regular rotation (i.e. 4 months on/2 months off or 2 months on/off) you will still get the full 8 years on the letter.

Can i send sea service testimonials?

No, you need to send company signed letters from all employers.

Do i really need to get a police clearance for flag states i have served 12 months on?

I wasn't asked for this and didn't provide it, but other people have had to, and you should make all efforts to try and obtain one. If you can't obtain one then you must submit proof and discuss with your case officer.

Is their an abundance of work in australia?

There is some pilotage and shoreside work in remote areas, the jobs in major cities will more then likely have a queue of people already in australia applying. Seagoing jobs in the offshore industry are fairly scarce unless you have ahts command experience and a dp unlimited ticket. Plenty of australians with a 2nd mates ticket and dp advanced queing for junior officer jobs. Offshore oil and gas is also slowing down in some areas.

useful oral prep/ revision material

ahp20 seafarers handbook for australian waters

amsa code of safe working practices for australian seafarers

navigation act 2012

occupational health and safety (maritime industry) act 1993

amsa marine notices

amsa marine orders

amsa website (pollution, psc, environmentally sensitive areas, mlc etc)

marpol

solas

Hi CaptainC,

Would you mind pm'ing over to me any orals reports which you have?

Thankyou :)

Jimmy

I see the mods deleted your email address from the post so I tried to PM you but it said that you aren't accepting. Can you have a look at your settings or PM me with your email address and I'll send what I have.

G'day all and happy new year. I've been away over the Christmas period so was unable to reply to any requests for orals question sheets. I'm free for a few days now so if you PM your email addresses then I will send over what I have.

Also if there are any other people with question sheets then I'd be appreciative if you could let me know and send them to me.